Don't you hate it when people try to talk to you while workin out?

Options

Replies

• Hadvab
    Hadvab Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I go to the gym with a few girlfriends and we chat it up during our workouts, well mainly in between. I never get bothered when I go alone, either way I don't really care.
    What really urks me is when people don't wipe down the equipment after using it. I don't want to sit in someone else's sweat, ew!
    As for the other gym "rules" I feel I'm pretty considerate of those around me. I ask to use something if I am unsure if someone is done using it, I never get in others way of lifting or mirror use, I even ask before I change the tv from the news to the edm channel. And I always have my phone tucked in my gym bag, unlike some others that just sit on benches and text. Lol
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I wish people talked to me..

Was someone serious that they can't rack their weights?! Whoa..

I hope they weren't. If someone's lifting SO heavy that they cannot manage one more lift to re-rack it after a 10 second rest, they are doing something wrong and are just asking to injure themselves.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Between sets, and you're not a weird, and/or super hot...talk away. Mid lift or prior...go away.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I was in the middle of a set and a nice lady approaches me and starts talking.

She was attempting to ask me something about .... I don't know what.

I totally ignored her. I looked right through her like she wasn't even there.

She got the message pretty quick and sulked away.

Point is:

Don't talk to others when others are lifting.
    Wipe down benches after use.
    Don't stand between the person lifting and the mirror.
    Always rack your weights; always.
    Put your &^!%! Phone away.

Others? .......

...keep polite distance - don't invade my personal space

Stop innundating people with a list of rules as if you owned the place. Because some people don't rack because they can't - they actually gave their workout 100%. And some people listen to music/motivational stuff or log their workouts on their phones, so, yah.

But on the topic of racking, so annoyed at having to go on a hunt for the right weight! But I get it.

How would you be able to lift it but not rack it?
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Between sets, and you're not a weird, and/or super hot...talk away. Mid lift or prior...go away.

Why do we hate talking to super hot guys?! And avoid eye contact at that!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

Who's WE?? I'd love to talk to some of the tasty meat-candies at my gym. Unfortunately my mean mug scares away all but my 60 year old salty-*kitten* coach. :'(
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options

Point is:

Others? .......

Stop innundating people with a list of rules as if you owned the place. Because some people don't rack because they can't - they actually gave their workout 100%. And some people listen to music/motivational stuff or log their workouts on their phones, so, yah.

But on the topic of racking, so annoyed at having to go on a hunt for the right weight! But I get it.

If you lift and struggle for that last rep.

It's a technique used by a lot of weightlifters and bodybuilders. Arnold said it was the only way to make real progress.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options

Who's WE?? I'd love to talk to some of the tasty meat-candies at my gym. Unfortunately my mean mug scares away all but my 60 year old salty-*kitten* coach. :'(

Lol
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    I was just at the gym and this dude next to me lookin like captain fricken america chris evans mf-er, and i looked him in the eye, nodded and said "HAM" and walked away

In these here parts, we call that being a hater.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I walk back home, but people only seem to want to talk when I'm into my run. I'll smile and nod which isn't enough for some people apparently.
  • Patrickjames16
    Patrickjames16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind talking to the peeps tween sets, but they don't just stop. I even had an old guy say that I was rude! Some go to socialize and drink coffee and that's fine if you are not bothering anyone. Myself, I go to get the swell on.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

Point is:

Others? .......

If you lift and struggle for that last rep.

It's a technique used by a lot of weightlifters and bodybuilders. Arnold said it was the only way to make real progress.

I know what you mean. I lift heavy like that, too. By "struggle" they mean "struggle while still maintaining good form". You should always be able to pick up a weight high enough to re-rack it. If not, you are lifting far too heavy to have good form, in which case you could badly injure yourself.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    I was just at the gym and this dude next to me lookin like captain fricken america chris evans mf-er, and i looked him in the eye, nodded and said "HAM" and walked away

In these here parts, we call that being a hater.

No. I was genuinely impressed, i gave him mad props HAM, Hard As A Motherfocker. Then walked away to not feel awkward lol

HAM. Never heard of it. Is that an actual thing the millennials say to each other now? :|
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore-futurama-funny-wallpaper-1920x1200.png
  • daedae171
    daedae171 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do appreciate my privacy when I'm working out, but I don't mind a small conversation. Just don't take up so much of my time because I got stuff to get done! Haha
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Not if you're talking to them on the phone xD