Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cheat day..yes or no?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    jhajni wrote: »
    Okay guys and what if I am eating healthy but every now and then I eat a thin slice of sacher cake or any cake? Not a full massive slice of cake but like a paper thin slice of cake.... Is that a cheat day???

If it fits in your calorie goal then it's fine.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Okay guys and what if I am eating healthy but every now and then I eat a thin slice of sacher cake or any cake? Not a full massive slice of cake but like a paper thin slice of cake.... Is that a cheat day???

Does the cake fit in your calorie goal for the day? If so, I wouldn't call that cheating. Does the cake fit your calorie goal for the week? If so, I wouldn't call that cheating. Does eating the cake take you out of a deficit for the week but you are not exceeding your maintenance cals? If so I wouldn't call that cheating...

Bottom line, it really doesn't matter what you call it. If you want the cake, can fit the cake into your calorie goals, it doesn't derail your overall progress, it tastes good and it makes you happy... why wouldn't you eat it? Call it a cheat day if it makes you happy but I don't care for the term. I also don't consider this a "diet" either, it's just the way I eat.

• DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    From my past weight loss attempts I know that PLANNNING a cheat day is a big red NO. I end up falling off the wagon and struggle to get back on under all those calories i ate. Besides, there will be days where you go somewhere and eat out. They come along inevitably. THAT is what I want to give into. If I have cheat days, then inevitably on that day I go out I end up with an impromptu second cheat day.

However, choosing a day off every now and then is fine. I'll probably try to make it so the extra calories are offset by my deficit.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i have never had a cheat day in 10 months. I have had cheat meals or cheat snacks but a whole day..nope. For me its the fact that i have come too far for that kind of stuff
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I plan a cheat meal/day once a week
    When cutting, I find it essential when under 10% or fat loss stalls.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Cheats on macros: ok.

Cheats on calories for an entire day: dangerous, dangerous game.
  • MaryOves
    MaryOves Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Let's go back to why burger and fries is a bad meal. Oh, how I wish it wasn't. But the potatoes are so high in carbs, and they fry them in oil, and cover them in salt. Yikes. Then the burger is fatty, the bun is carb high, the cheese, the ketchup, oh my.... when I lose 15 pounds I'm having a donut. When I lose 20? Burger and fries.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don[t do an entire cheat day but I'll do a cheat meal every now and again. Most of the time my cheat meal is dinner so every now and again, maybe at least once a month i'll treat myself to chinese food or pizza. I try not to make it too much of a habit though because it can quickly get you off track.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "under 10%"
  • DisruptedMatrix
    Options
    MaryOves wrote: »
    Let's go back to why burger and fries is a bad meal. Oh, how I wish it wasn't. But the potatoes are so high in carbs, and they fry them in oil, and cover them in salt. Yikes. Then the burger is fatty, the bun is carb high, the cheese, the ketchup, oh my.... when I lose 15 pounds I'm having a donut. When I lose 20? Burger and fries.

that's a cool way to motivate yourself- setting food rewards for hitting your goals.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

10% bodyfat (for men, not sure what thay equates to for women). The lower you get, the harder your body fights to keep what fat it has, so you have to start doing all kinds of screwy things. 12 day runs of RFL followed by two day refeeds are a common example that works very well.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    Options

10% bodyfat (for men, not sure what thay equates to for women). The lower you get, the harder your body fights to keep what fat it has, so you have to start doing all kinds of screwy things. 12 day runs of RFL followed by two day refeeds are a common example that works very well.

RFL? refeeds? Thanks for answering!
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited October 2016
    Options

RFL? refeeds? Thanks for answering!

RFL=rapid fat loss. It's a protein sparing very low calorie diet. I won't go into the details, because people on these boards often go crazy when you bring up very low calorie diets (even protocols that are proven safe and effective). If you google Lyle McDonald RFL you can find the answer to both of the things you asked about.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

@jhajni I don't think of you eating a piece of cake as a cheat day, or even a cheat meal. I think of it as you making a food choice that happens to be a piece of cake that day. :D

When I hear the word cheat what comes to mind is someone on a 'diet', which my mind is no longer geared toward. We talk about changing eating habits, moderation and then all the sudden someone asks if it's OK to have cheat days (not referencing anyone in particular). Why do we consider eating food as cheating? Who the heck are we cheating? :laugh:

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    From my past weight loss attempts I know that PLANNNING a cheat day is a big red NO. I end up falling off the wagon and struggle to get back on under all those calories i ate. Besides, there will be days where you go somewhere and eat out. They come along inevitably. THAT is what I want to give into. If I have cheat days, then inevitably on that day I go out I end up with an impromptu second cheat day.

Planning a higher cal day (I assume that's what you mean by cheat day) was never a problem for me when I was losing. When I first started I usually planned Saturdays to be a bit higher cal, and the planning was helpful, as I was able to make sure it wasn't more than maintenance (usually it was still quite a bit under) by planning the whole day, not just my dinner. Also, I guess my go out to dinner plans are often known in advance (at least at the beginning of that week).

The bigger thing of course is not seeing extra calories as a reason not to get back to plan -- seems like black and white thinking (I'm dieting perfectly or not at all), which for me was always a problem and getting rid of that was an important part of making the whole thing sustainable longer term.

Not saying that what worked for me had to work for you, but a lot of the anti "cheat" day (you will not be able to cut back again) posts seem to assume this is so for everyone, and I think that's clearly not the case, so just using this one to reply to.
    However, choosing a day off every now and then is fine. I'll probably try to make it so the extra calories are offset by my deficit.

Yeah, this is what I did, I built it into my week. Not really necessary once I had more exercise calories, but at first it was really helpful to have a slightly higher cal day to work with once a week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    i have never had a cheat day in 10 months. I have had cheat meals or cheat snacks but a whole day..nope. For me its the fact that i have come too far for that kind of stuff

For me "a cheat day" (although I don't use the term) means a day over maintenance (or if dieting, a day over your planned calorie goal). Since I zig zag calories and also, you know, there are holidays and so on, I find the idea that one has come "too far" to ever eat over maintenance or a particular calorie goal for one day to be puzzling, or at least not something I relate to.

Also, I don't get the distinction between meal and day -- usually if I have a high cal day, it's because of one meal. I wouldn't go nuts at every meal (or even want to, even on something like Thanksgiving most people have pretty small non main meals, I'd bet, even if they also end up eating all day with appetizers and pie, maybe that's what you mean). Anyway, I just also wouldn't insist that if I were going out to dinner I must eat almost nothing beforehand to make up for it, just to make sure the whole day wasn't a "cheat" (or high cal day, as I prefer to think of it). Also, since I don't care how many cals I have in any particular meal (although I have averages) not sure what cheating for a meal would be. I guess for me not eating veg or something, but I prefer to be a bit more flexible than to call anything different from my usual goals and pattern a cheat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

@jhajni I don't think of you eating a piece of cake as a cheat day, or even a cheat meal. I think of it as you making a food choice that happens to be a piece of cake that day. :D

When I hear the word cheat what comes to mind is someone on a 'diet', which my mind is no longer geared toward. We talk about changing eating habits, moderation and then all the sudden someone asks if it's OK to have cheat days (not referencing anyone in particular). Why do we consider eating food as cheating? Who the heck are we cheating? :laugh:

Personally I hate the phrase cheat meal but it is what is commonly used on here. Mine are nearly always structured re-feeds (or at least thats what I tell myself) :P
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Personally I hate the phrase cheat meal but it is what is commonly used on here. Mine are nearly always structured re-feeds (or at least thats what I tell myself) :P

As are mine, and I draw a clear distinction. A structured refeed is a short term overfeeding done for the purposes of hormone stabilization and glycogen replenishment. A cheat meal is an excuse to delve back into the eating habits that made the person a saddie/fatty to begin with, usually approached with the excuse of "zomg I need it otherwise I'll shoot kittens because willpower is hard."
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    billglitch wrote: »

For me "a cheat day" (although I don't use the term) means a day over maintenance (or if dieting, a day over your planned calorie goal). Since I zig zag calories and also, you know, there are holidays and so on, I find the idea that one has come "too far" to ever eat over maintenance or a particular calorie goal for one day to be puzzling, or at least not something I relate to.

Also, I don't get the distinction between meal and day -- usually if I have a high cal day, it's because of one meal. I wouldn't go nuts at every meal (or even want to, even on something like Thanksgiving most people have pretty small non main meals, I'd bet, even if they also end up eating all day with appetizers and pie, maybe that's what you mean). Anyway, I just also wouldn't insist that if I were going out to dinner I must eat almost nothing beforehand to make up for it, just to make sure the whole day wasn't a "cheat" (or high cal day, as I prefer to think of it). Also, since I don't care how many cals I have in any particular meal (although I have averages) not sure what cheating for a meal would be. I guess for me not eating veg or something, but I prefer to be a bit more flexible than to call anything different from my usual goals and pattern a cheat.

I also zig zag calories and I love it!