Pizza or Burger: What's Worse???

Options

Replies

• Sherni823
    Sherni823 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There's so many different factors to this. Both of these things can be made several different ways. Pizza: Are there toppings? What are the toppings? What the crust? How big is the slice? How much cheese is there? Burger: What this made with lean meat? Are there any fatty or oily condiments on it? How much meat is it? What kind of bread was used for the buns? Is there any cheese? Also very important, which one is going to fill you up or satisfy you more? For me, I'm likely to eat several slices of pizza, but am satisfied after only one burger so even if the burger is worse for me, I'm not eating several burgers and I'd probably go through 3 or 4 slices of pizza.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would say the greasy burger is worse. I don't like greasy burgers.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I love greasy burgers especially with melty cheese. And I'm kind of meh on pizza so I say burgers are the best.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How about a burger but with 2 slices of pizza instead of buns?

I <3 U.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Debate all you want, but my dinner yesterday was half a homemade pizza and the recipe tool told me that it was 390 calories. My half included 2 oz of ground beef, 1.5 oz mozzarella, 1 tbsp pizza sauce, and 1/2 tsp olive oil on a crust that was made of 77.5 g of dough which was 50% water. My half also had 5 green olives on it. "Worse", nor even "Bad" springs to mind when I think of it.
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would say pizza is worst. I think one square slice is like 200+ calories on average. And most people eat several slices, so the calories can add up fast. Not many people can eat only one or two slices and walk away, so it's easier to end up binging on. A hamburger can be made with different types of lean meats and lower calorie bread and toppings and you can probably feel full just eating one.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    I would say pizza is worst. I think one square slice is like 200+ calories on average. And most people eat several slices, so the calories can add up fast. Not many people can eat only one or two slices and walk away, so it's easier to end up binging on. A hamburger can be made with different types of lean meats and lower calorie bread and toppings and you can probably feel full just eating one.

As has been stated many times in this thread, it depends on the pizza and the burger. I'm in St Louis and 1/4 of a traditional meaty pizza is less than 400 cals.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

You're comparing apples and oranges. Sure, a burger which is deliberately made with lean meat and low calorie bread or topping will be lower calorie than a few slices of regular corner store pizza. BUT, a pizza which is made with lean meat and low calorie crust and toppings will be lower calorie than a regular corner store burger.

You can't hold the two items to two completely separate sets of standards.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love both and don't think of one as worst. Apple oranges.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Ordering a thin crust pizza really cuts down on the calories. Because the crust is just a delivery vehicle for what's on top. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Ordering a thin crust pizza really cuts down on the calories. Because the crust is just a delivery vehicle for what's on top. :)

Except if it's cauliflower crust. Then it's just plain evil.

Then it's not pizza. B)
  • kbmh611
    Options

As has been stated many times in this thread, it depends on the pizza and the burger. I'm in St Louis and 1/4 of a traditional meaty pizza is less than 400 cals.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Sure, a burger which is deliberately made with lean meat and low calorie bread or topping will be lower calorie than a few slices of regular corner store pizza. BUT, a pizza which is made with lean meat and low calorie crust and toppings will be lower calorie than a regular corner store burger.

Yeah but I'm talking about regular delivery style pizza or frozen. Which is what most people get. Not some evil concoction made up at home with a veggie crust, barely no cheese or meat. I assumed the OP was asking about standard take home or restaurant pizza or burger. Even if the burger is at a take out place I think it's still better than a restaurant pizza. I've looked at a lot of numbers at a lot of places and pizza always seems to be the heavier hitter. It's also harder to control yourself at stopping at only a few slices, unlike with a burger you usually eat one burger cuz that's all you have and your done with it. Obviously there can be some exceptions to this but I tend to think when questions like this are asked on here it's a "generally speaking" sort of question.

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think burgers and pizza are both healthy foods with valuable nutrients. I don't see why either must be villified. It's eating too much of anything that causes problems.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Since neither are "bad", I cannot pick which is "worse".
  • kbmh611
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    I think burgers and pizza are both healthy foods with valuable nutrients. I don't see why either imust be villified. It's eating too much of anything that causes problems.
    Since neither are "bad", I cannot pick which is "worse".

I think some people look at others calling certain foods bad or horrible the wrong way. In some people's minds they are "bad" for them or their diet goals because they don't have the self control to eat certain foods in moderation. Although I'm dieting, I still eat a burger like once a week, but I stay away from pizza for the most part because each slice packs a lot of calories and I won't be able to stop at only a couple of slices. Unless I save all my calories for the day and plan ahead to allow myself pizza, but it's not a good idea for a dinner meal if I've already consumed calories for breakfast, lunch and a snack. So in my mind pizza's not the best option when dieting. I don't know if I'd call it a bad food, but I can see why some people create that label in their minds for certain foods
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Which is worse? The burger. Why? Because I have leftover pizza at home. I don't have any burgers made up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yeah but I'm talking about regular delivery style pizza or frozen. Which is what most people get. Not some evil concoction made up at home with a veggie crust, barely no cheese or meat. I assumed the OP was asking about standard take home or restaurant pizza or burger. Even if the burger is at a take out place I think it's still better than a restaurant pizza. I've looked at a lot of numbers at a lot of places and pizza always seems to be the heavier hitter. It's also harder to control yourself at stopping at only a few slices, unlike with a burger you usually eat one burger cuz that's all you have and your done with it. Obviously there can be some exceptions to this but I tend to think when questions like this are asked on here it's a "generally speaking" sort of question.

It's impossible to compare. (Also, I think a lot of people can eat two pieces of pizza.) I usually have burgers I make at home and they are reasonably low cal, but a pizza I make at home is too. I normally eat pizza from local Italian places (so no calorie count, but thin crust, and it all depends on what I choose to eat). We do have it for work lunch sometimes (from local chains) and I can eat about 500-600 calories of it and be satisfied (two slices of thin crust or one slice of the Chicago style, depending on the specific pizza). Or I can go to a restaurant and order a burger, which won't be lean meat, will have a caloric bun, and will be significantly larger than I'd make at home. And, it might have cheese or bacon on it. Many people who'd eat more pizza might get fries with the burger too.

I know plenty of burgers I've splurged on that have a lot more calories than my typical pizza dinner.