Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Options

Replies

• bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am a dad of a 3 and a half year old son. Between working alot and taking care of him, there isn't alot of time left to work out :-) feel free to add me!
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My babygirl is a year and 7 months, I am always looking for friends to help and encourage :) Your all more than welcome to add me!!
    I am a dad of a 3 and a half year old son. Between working alot and taking care of him, there isn't alot of time left to work out :-) feel free to add me!

Hey, thanks for joining us. what are some of the struggles you have right now? If you are willing to share.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    So, one of the reasons I started looking at my own health was to keep up with my kids. I have a 14 yo, and 12yo daughters, and an 8 yo son. Well, I can't keep up with them any more. Let me explain. It is not due to lack of exercise. They have gotten too fast.

A couple of years ago we joined the local running club here in town. When we all started, we were running 10:30 - 11:00 minute miles. Well, not my wife. She was still running 8-9 minute miles. Unfortunately, my work schedule changed and I wasn't able to participate as much as I would have liked. But they were able to keep going. My daughters now average 8:30-9:00 min miles for 3-4 miles at a time, and my son 8 - 8:30 miles. I'm still back at 9:00-9:30. lol. My oldest made the varsity cross country team as a freshman this year, my other daughter took 6th place in her cross country meet this past weekend, and my son took 4th. I guess that is a good problem to have right?

So, I am gonna have to step up my game I suppose, because now I really cant keep up with them. :)
  • mariekathleen78
    mariekathleen78 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Stay at home mom of 3 girls, ages 12, 10, and 3. My 12 year old is very hard to motivate in getting her to move more. My 10 year old is working on her purple belt in karate and is on their tournament team. Placed 2nd in girls sparring at the state competitions. My 3 year old has a yellow belt, lol. I kid you not. And I do kick boxing at the same dojo.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing today? Well I hope. I have a question for you. Who here goes to the gym? Who has a gym membership, but has only gone like once or twice due to time restraints? If time is an issue, would you be willing to try an at home workout for 30 days? Please share.

I walked 5 days a week all summer with a good friend. With winter here it gets too cold so I got a gym membership. I did not want a contract since I prefer to exercise outside in the spring and summer. We have a great gym in our little town that offers no contracts and is totally affordable ($25/mo). So that's what I did. I go a minimum of 4 days a week, but usually 5 days. I lift fairly heavy and that takes a half hour (I alternate upper and lower body, abs everyday) and treadmill for 45 minutes to an hour on upper body lift days and treadmill for 1/2 hour on lower body lift days. I had 90#'s to lose. I've lost 15 but it has taken me almost all year to lose that (I started Jan. 1). I actually have a treadmill and elliptical at home but I am way more faithful when I have to leave the house to workout. I homeschool and it's just too easy to get busy around here and put off working out. If I don't do it at 7:00am, it doesn't get done. Losing 75 more pounds feels daunting, but I have to do it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    pdo27789 wrote: »
    How is everyone doing today? Well I hope. I have a question for you. Who here goes to the gym? Who has a gym membership, but has only gone like once or twice due to time restraints? If time is an issue, would you be willing to try an at home workout for 30 days? Please share.

What sort of home workout do you suggest? I don't have money to buy equipment, but I need to get into exercise.

I tried a 7 minute app a few weeks back. My girls (3 and 5) joined in too, but I fell off the wagon.

There are many to choose from. It depends on your current fitness level. You don't want to jump into something to serious that might lead to injury. I'll message you directly, and see what we can discover together.

Why can't you just post some suggestions here? Messaging people privately leads to only helping one person. Posting publicly leads to helping lots of people.

Messaging people privately leads to a more personal connection, a deeper understanding of what may be going on in their lives that they may not want to proclaim to the world on a social media. Shoot, they may not want to in a private message either. That's their choice. But the more I know about what they are struggling with, the better recommendations I can provide. Sure I could throw out some generalities. Do 20 Squats today, run 3 miles tomorrow, do 10 pull ups the next day. But if that person has knee injuries, or asthma, or shoulder issues, then those suggestions would not be in their best interest and could lead to further injury. I'd rather help one person at a time the right way, than lots of people the wrong way.

Private messaging is also a way to hide sales intentions and using this site to try to sell to people, even by private message, is not allowed.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Stay at home mom of 3 girls, ages 12, 10, and 3. My 12 year old is very hard to motivate in getting her to move more. My 10 year old is working on her purple belt in karate and is on their tournament team. Placed 2nd in girls sparring at the state competitions. My 3 year old has a yellow belt, lol. I kid you not. And I do kick boxing at the same dojo.

That is awesome. So nice to hear when kids are engaged in an activity. Yellow belt at 3 is fantastic. I only made it as far as my red in Tae Kwondo. When I joined the army I had to join a different Dojang. After a few months, I learned that the instructor didn't practice what he preached, so I quit attending. I haven't been able to find one I like or have the time to finish.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Good morning guys and gals. It is Thirsty Thursday, so as per usual, I want you to focus on hydration. Drink those 8 cups of water, 64 oz, 2 liters, or whatever it is that gets you going and hydrated.

I know water can get boring at times, so what better way to liven in up then with some fresh fruit. What is a combination you use often. I like mixed berries for mine!

sb5swf85obo7.png
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Good morning and happy Friday! The weekend is almost here. What do you have planned?

My daughter has the state cross country meet Saturday morning. In the afternoon I think we might head out to the pumpkin patch and grab us a few pumpkins, carve them up, and be ready to go. Sunday I am off to Mile High Stadium for the Broncos/Chargers game. Hopefully the Broncos will put on a better show then they did the other week against them. I'm sure I will have a workout or run in there somewhere.

Keep pushing forward, and have a great weekend.

• pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting a couch to 5k. Hopefully some day I'll be able enough to join a running club like yourself. For now, I'll be happy if I don't pass out.
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hi, Father of 3

My daughter is 9, my oldest son is 7, and my younger son is due mid-November.

I am working on losing weigh with a goal of beign ready to start couch to 5k in january.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Happy Halloween everyone. Who all is Trick or treating with their little princesses and monsters tonight? Unfortunately I am at work, but my wonderful wife is out with Athena and a Robo-Ninja! I'm not sure what my oldest chose. If Anything. lol

Fell free to share. I'd love to see your costumes. And remember, be safe out there!

o72o8am9dick.jpg
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    I wanted to ask you. Do you like salads, but struggle to bring everything you want for it to keep it from getting squishy. Have you ever tried using mason jars for meal prep? They are great to store salads for the week because they keep the ingredients fresh if you layer them properly. And when you're ready to eat, all you have to do is shake 'em up!

I don't have any mason jars, but I practice the same approach in ziploc containers. It works pretty well. Just make sure your lid is on good ;)

Here are a few tips for creating the perfect mason jar salad:

Pour dressing in the bottom. That way your veggies stay crunchy and fresh.
    Layer heartier ingredients like carrots or beans after the dressing.
    Pack your greens on top.

How many of you have tried this already? What did you think?

krjzextgkzi5.jpg
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Mom of two boys (ages 9 and 6). I work in education from from 7-3 and then go to my second job as taxi, tutor, cook, maid, and referee (see two boys). My hubby works from about 7-8pm, so everything during the week lands on me. I am very rarely able to fit in a workout, but finding a bit of success using the 30 day shred videos (although I miss my running days!)
    Feel free to add me! I love getting and giving support from other parents!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    bandbmc wrote: »
    Mom of two boys (ages 9 and 6). I work in education from from 7-3 and then go to my second job as taxi, tutor, cook, maid, and referee (see two boys). My hubby works from about 7-8pm, so everything during the week lands on me. I am very rarely able to fit in a workout, but finding a bit of success using the 30 day shred videos (although I miss my running days!)
    Feel free to add me! I love getting and giving support from other parents!

You sound just as busy as us. My wife is a school psych, so she works from 7-3...4 as well. I work evenings from 3pm -11pm, so I can help with the kids in the morning, but miss all of the after school activities. It is not my ideal schedule, but it works. This allows me to get my workouts done in the morning a little easier. Thanks for sharing.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    How was your weekend? Busy here. Started off with me hitting a deer going bout 60 mph on my way home Thursday night from work. That go the ole adrenaline pumping. Luckily I was able to swerve enough to hit him at an angle instead of head on, but still did quite a bit of damage to my car. Just glad I didn't roll into the ditch. So I took friday off to get my car to the shop, set up a rental, all that good jazz.

Saturday my kids had their USA Track and field cross country meet. Tough competition down there. My son cam in 18th. My girls had much bigger groups, so they were not as fortunate with the placement. But, they all still quailify for the regional meet in 2 weeks, so that's exciting. Then we had some friends over for game night, ate and drank way to much. lol

Today I started a 3 day refresh. Try to get my body back in alignment with my goals and flush some toxins out. Then next week I am starting a new 30 day program. So looking forward to that.

Have a great week and let me know how you are doing.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Have you ever played the 5 Why's Game? If you have kids, I bet they have. ;)

Do this for a goal you're thinking about striving for.
    Ask yourself why.
    Then ask yourself why again....

Do this for a total of 5 times and you'll get to the route of why you want to do that. It will open your eyes to the true meanings behind it.

Example.
    I want to lose weight. Why?
    I want to feel better. Why?
    I want to be able to play with my kids like the other fathers/mothers do. Why?
    Because I hate it when I can't do something with my kids. Why?
    Because my kids matter to me. Why?
    Because I want to be around for them for a long time, and want them to be a good role model for them.

There you have it. Now you know why you want to lose weight. Now do something each and every day to remind yourself of that why. Take a picture of your kids. You won't give up now when it gets hard.

If you're comfortable enough, post below something that you used this method with, and what you've realized is your "Why" for that goal.9uxakfcjfl9b.jpg
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Well, I am on day 3 of this 3 day refresh/cleanse and so far so good. The hard part is resisting to eat what's not on the plan and at the designated times. I am just a little hungry, but I think most of it is habit. I have a little bit of a headache, so stuff is starting to get flushed out. Which means I need to drink a lot more water.

Already I am doing better than previous times. I remember the first time I did this I had a big headache and the first day I was just wiped out. This time, not so much. I'm sure it helps that I eat a lot cleaner than I used to. Last day to go, then some prep work for the new program I am starting next week!

Who here has done some sort of cleanse before and what did you think of it?

d9iraegd9tzq.jpg
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Why is making a commitment to your goals so hard? Why is it that so many others can stick with it, and others can't? My thoughts....Support! If you don't have support, accountability, someone to help keep you going through the hard times, then you skip a day, then another day, then a week, month, so on and so on. The next thing you know, it is 3 months later, you haven't accomplished what you said you would, and feel defeated!

Don't do that! Not this time. Now is the time to make the decision to stay loyal to YOUR cause, and fight for what you deserve. Find someone to support you. Your spouse, sibling, close friend, whomever. If you can't find anyone, than follow me! I'll support you as long as I can. If your making the commitment, stay loyal to it and fight on!!!

What is a goal you are committed to?

rklfpv28u586.jpg
  • charlesdphillips3
    Options
    Hey everyone. I was on here before and fell off the wagon. I need to start again and lose about 25 pounds. Anyone want to add me as a friend I will be glad to help encourage and get some pushback for myself to stay on track. I'm now pre-diabetic and my triglycerides have a comma in them...yikes I got to get busy.
This discussion has been closed.