Not losing weight

Options
13»

Replies

• meeshymoosh
    meeshymoosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    I understand what your going Thur , I had a stroke and gained 40 pounds in 2 months. I was not counting calories and to be frank I just did not give a kitten ,,, big accomplishment was standing up to take shower .

That being said ,, I'm getting better and on track with MFP .. It's slower this time but numbers will work given time ..

Good luck

I definitely know that feeling. Things that you never thought about became accomplishments (standing in shower, standing at counter while cooking, brushing teeth without exhaustion).

OP - even if your injuries were not as extensive, they are still injuries and it was still trauma. Not saying go crazy and "treat yoself", but have some kindness and allow yourself to process life post-injuries. For a lot of us, life is different now and we have to adjust to new changes and new bodies/minds.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    melted_ wrote: »
    When your body goes through truama you tend to gain weight to "create a shell of protection" is what my doctor said lmao and never thought i could gain weight from fruit but that was all i was eating for months so yeah seems realistiv

The REAL answer is HERE.

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Don't worry :) you are doing great, one pound is one pound less than a month ago.
    Have you upped your water intake? Are you doing steps every day? How balanced are your meals? Could you maybe swap out something for a healthier option?
    If you think your doing everything right, get to a doctor, they could help xx

I mostly have been eating salads and grilled chicken, fruits in the morning, and maybe "three cups of water a day".

You should be drinking more water, weighing and measuring your food. When I was on a tough plateau, my nutritionist suggested cutting my daily intake by 100 calories. That worked for me.

• melted_
    melted_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also - I do want to add that swelling isn't always something we can SEE. It can be more internal, like in your pelvis or abdomen/liver, or it can be dramatic (like hands, feet, legs, face, etc).

Not to scare you, but if you are having noticeable swelling and weight gain in new places plus muscle aching, site hot to touch, feeling like it will split, trouble walking without charlie horses, etc after surgeries or being confined to bed-rest, you need to talk to your doctor about the possibilities of blood clotting (which can mask itself like weight gain depending on where the clot is).

My doctor wen over this with me after i got surjery and was recovering i had mucle knots every where from being so tense in the accident charlie horeses were the worst part but that only lasted probably a month or so after i started recovering and my doctor said it was normal just if it lasted a long time to get tests done
  • melted_
    Options
    First off, I'm sorry to hear you sustained an injury.

I am a healthcare professional, and while I cannot legally offer you any advice, I can say if your doctor told you to just drink some fruit smoothies, he's an idiot. No protein??? I've taken care of patients that have had to be wired, and they were given ensure, protein powders, meat broths, blended REAL food, and still tended to lose weight. You're not going to gain weight simply from having an injury. You gain weight from a calorie surplus.

This is gonna sound blunt, but make no more excuses. Get you a digital food scale, and measure all your food in grams. You eat a pack of instant oatmeal? don't log it as "one serving". Pour that sugar out, measure it dry, then find the entry that measures in grams on here. Input the number. You'll be suprised how much you overeat in a day. Believe me. I just had a serving of almond butter. Not the generic 2 tbs, but I weighed it. It was a sad sad amount, but it was the "real" serving size. Good luck on your journey.

He told me to have protien shakes but im broke .... so like ....
  • melted_
    Options
    First off, I'm sorry to hear you sustained an injury.

I am a healthcare professional, and while I cannot legally offer you any advice, I can say if your doctor told you to just drink some fruit smoothies, he's an idiot. No protein??? I've taken care of patients that have had to be wired, and they were given ensure, protein powders, meat broths, blended REAL food, and still tended to lose weight. You're not going to gain weight simply from having an injury. You gain weight from a calorie surplus.

This is gonna sound blunt, but make no more excuses. Get you a digital food scale, and measure all your food in grams. You eat a pack of instant oatmeal? don't log it as "one serving". Pour that sugar out, measure it dry, then find the entry that measures in grams on here. Input the number. You'll be suprised how much you overeat in a day. Believe me. I just had a serving of almond butter. Not the generic 2 tbs, but I weighed it. It was a sad sad amount, but it was the "real" serving size. Good luck on your journey.

He told me to have protien shakes but im broke .... so like ....

I do use a food scale too