Has anyone ever gotten a completely flat stomach or abs?

124»

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    It seems very impossible to me, I've lost about 50 pounds and I want to lose about 25 more, and honestly I'd be okay with the weight I am now if my stomach was completely flat, but it seems like I'm losing weight ever where except my stomach. I've done all types of sit up, crunches, V ups, you name it I've probably done it. Maybe once I drop the extra 25 pounds it will miraculously disappear? Has any ever managed to get a completely flat stomach or abs with out surgery or any thing, I'm really wondering if any have ladies, because I presume it's much easier for guys.

I have before, but it's been awhile. I was younger back then. I did it with crunches, Sit ups on a roman chair, and leg lifts on this thing: https://www.amazon.com/XMark-Power-Tower-Station-XM-4434/dp/B007RQ0F8W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1477486249&sr=8-7&keywords=power+tower
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    I'm also 5'7. I vary between 125 and 135, but am trying to stay at 125. At 125 I have a nice flat stomach with ab definition. When I'm 130, I have a little pooch, its amazing how those 5 pounds make such a noticeable difference. Everyone's different, but at 5'7 and 130lbs, I look a little chubby.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    YES. But it's not going to happen if you still have 25 lbs to go. I had/have an apple shape and started at 152 lbs and a large roll of belly fat. Now at 115 lbs, my stomach is flat. I have the 2 lines on the sides but no ab definition. I'd have to lose even more fat to reveal proper ab definition. I don't do ab exercises or weights. I just do cardio(hiking, cycling etc).

We sound very similar. I am also an apple shape and I started at 149. I am 115.8 as of this morning. I do have a flat stomach and I have the outline of abs though they aren't very defined. I do not do targeted ab workouts, but I do lift heavy and I am an aerialist which means my core gets a lot of work.

OP, you will have to get your body fat down pretty low (if you carry your weight in your tummy like I do). If you are carrying 25 extra pounds, you've still got a ways to go. :)

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are the both of you? Because right now I weigh about 150-155ish, and I wanted to get down to 120 but everyone keeps telling me I'll be too skinny so I decided to go for 130 I'm 5'7

I'm 5' 4.5". I also never initially planned to get down to 115 lbs. I thought 125 would be good enough, but once I got there, there was still some belly fat and I wanted it flat and gone so I kept on losing. You'll figure it out once you get to your first goal.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    mitch16 wrote: »
    When I was in my 20's I had an eating disorder (my BMI was slightly under 18). I had a thigh gap and hip bridge, but I still didn't have a perfectly flat stomach (had a little bump under my navel)... Genetics plays a huge role here, but you could probably sway it in your favor with enough hard work (weight loss and lifting). Good luck!

Actually that isn't all that uncommon. Many people who are underweight have very poor body composition. So they lack enough muscle mass to give them a flat stomach. We see this very often in the gaining weight section. It's why stories like the below occur. Weight doesn't mean much, body composition and body fat % means everything. Getting a flat stomach and/or abs may require a lot more effort and specific programming to achieve those goals, which may include a recomp and/or bulk/cut cycle. And possibly a lot of time (like years depending on pre existing dieting practices).

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I wasn't actually skinny fat--I was working out but not lifting (Jane Fonda step aerobics FTW--sometimes twice a day--along with swimming, horseback riding, and walking several miles a day)... It's just my genetics. Interestingly, my brother is a body builder and even when he hovers around 10% body fat he still has the "pooch".

I haven't weighed that little since then (and I still abhor heavy lifting) so I don't know if it would be different for my middle-aged, post-baby body...

Do you know what your body fat and weight were? Not saying you were skinny fat, but it's quite possible that your body fat was too high, or your lean mass was too low, to allow it.

Hovered in the 20-24% range.
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    I so agree with all who say a flat stomach and visible abdominal muscles are directly related to body fat. Genetics play a big part, too.

In my profile photo, I am one week away from a figure competition and was very lean. Right now, with just 8 extra pounds, the muscle does not show nearly as much.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    When I was in my 20's I had an eating disorder (my BMI was slightly under 18). I had a thigh gap and hip bridge, but I still didn't have a perfectly flat stomach (had a little bump under my navel)... Genetics plays a huge role here, but you could probably sway it in your favor with enough hard work (weight loss and lifting). Good luck!

Actually that isn't all that uncommon. Many people who are underweight have very poor body composition. So they lack enough muscle mass to give them a flat stomach. We see this very often in the gaining weight section. It's why stories like the below occur. Weight doesn't mean much, body composition and body fat % means everything. Getting a flat stomach and/or abs may require a lot more effort and specific programming to achieve those goals, which may include a recomp and/or bulk/cut cycle. And possibly a lot of time (like years depending on pre existing dieting practices).

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I wasn't actually skinny fat--I was working out but not lifting (Jane Fonda step aerobics FTW--sometimes twice a day--along with swimming, horseback riding, and walking several miles a day)... It's just my genetics. Interestingly, my brother is a body builder and even when he hovers around 10% body fat he still has the "pooch".

I haven't weighed that little since then (and I still abhor heavy lifting) so I don't know if it would be different for my middle-aged, post-baby body...

Do you know what your body fat and weight were? Not saying you were skinny fat, but it's quite possible that your body fat was too high, or your lean mass was too low, to allow it.

Hovered in the 20-24% range.

For many women, 20% is not going to be low enough to have a flat stomach. It might require you to get down to 16-18%. Having greater muscle might allow it at the higher levels.
  • Luckadea
    Luckadea Posts: 19 Member
    When I was in my early 20s I did martial arts... that was the only time I ever had washboard abs.
    2 hour workouts 5 times a week. Gawd... I still don't know how I did that.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    It seems very impossible to me, I've lost about 50 pounds and I want to lose about 25 more, and honestly I'd be okay with the weight I am now if my stomach was completely flat, but it seems like I'm losing weight ever where except my stomach. I've done all types of sit up, crunches, V ups, you name it I've probably done it. Maybe once I drop the extra 25 pounds it will miraculously disappear? Has any ever managed to get a completely flat stomach or abs with out surgery or any thing, I'm really wondering if any have ladies, because I presume it's much easier for guys.
    Hasn't happened to me, but I can count my ribs now, close enough

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited October 2016
    It is definitely possible but just losing the last 25 pounds might not give you the result you're looking for unfortunately, as many have said it will come down to bodyfat percentage.

Having visible abs was never a goal of mine and I definitely thought it was impossible at the start of my fitness journey. I've weighed as much as 235# at 5'6, about 205# when I started MFP. When I reached my goal weight of 135# I had a pretty flat stomach but very little muscle definition. In the past year and a half i've lifted and done two mini bulk/cut cycles and now sit at 143# with pretty defined abs. Don't lose hope if it is really a goal of yours.

Edit to add- I noticed you listed you've tried a bunch of ab isolation exercises. I found focusing on compound lifts gave me a better result, I did very little ab isolation stuff.
  • Kylan_H
    Kylan_H Posts: 19 Member
    Most of the time running and cardiovascular exercises help to lose belly fat faster
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Kylan_H wrote: »
    Most of the time running and cardiovascular exercises help to lose belly fat faster

Running and cardio can contribute to a caloric deficit (which is how you lose weight), but it doesn't selectively target abdominal fat. There's no such thing as spot reduction, whether by diet or exercise.