No Veggies/LCHF

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    aliem wrote: »
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a few keto'ers in there that found they felt better and better the more they cut their veggies. they are now essentially carnivores and quite happy and healthy.

Seafood is good to include if you can. For plant matter, if you want it, how about olives, nuts, seeds, pickles, avocados, coconut or hemp and chia? Can you eat veggies if they are well fatted up? My husband is not a fan of rabbit food but he'll eat it, and enjoy it if I add lots of cheese, butter or oil. Tonight is a broccoli cream cheese casserole. He will only eat cooked veggies too.

You can have some fruit. Just keep it low GI if you are having more than a couple of bites. Berries are the lowest GI.

If you can't have veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you eat good quality eggs, meat, dairy and seafood, you will be fine.

I just think that if you completely cut out veggies and fruit (since on LCHF you can't really have fruit), you are missing out on a lot of fiber, vitamins and minerals. While the short term effects might not be bad, it's not good for you in the long run. If you are doing LCHF, you really need to eat at least some vegetables.

The vitamins and minerals can be found in animal products. Fiber? Not so much but it appears to be most beneficial when one is eating vegetation.

There really is no evidence that an animal based diet is bad for you, as far as I know. If you have some sort of study on it I'd love to see it.
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a few keto'ers in there that found they felt better and better the more they cut their veggies. they are now essentially carnivores and quite happy and healthy.

Seafood is good to include if you can. For plant matter, if you want it, how about olives, nuts, seeds, pickles, avocados, coconut or hemp and chia? Can you eat veggies if they are well fatted up? My husband is not a fan of rabbit food but he'll eat it, and enjoy it if I add lots of cheese, butter or oil. Tonight is a broccoli cream cheese casserole. He will only eat cooked veggies too.

You can have some fruit. Just keep it low GI if you are having more than a couple of bites. Berries are the lowest GI.

If you can't have veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you eat good quality eggs, meat, dairy and seafood, you will be fine.

I'm confused on.....:"plant matter" and the foods you listed above, all of which are fruits and grains, except for the pickle which is pickled cucumber.
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    If it's texture then make soup and purées

I've had great success with my picky children with texture issues using this method. I also blend vegetables into sauces for casseroles and pasta.

Also... an aside... "rabbit food"... really? This comment is not directed to Sue.

I love my vegetables, but I've never thought of blending them as sauces for casseroles and pasta I'll have to try that.

I also don't now what rabbit food is....when I was a kid, my rabbit ate rabbit food from the pet food store.
    lissmayer wrote: »
    No snark, legit question: how can it be texture if you dislike all of them? They don't all have the same texture.

Finally, this is what I was thinking. There are so many types of vegetables that it seems odd that a person doesn't like a few of them.

My discovery from last year is spaghetti squash, which can be made into some wonderful dishes, including deserts!

Plant matter... matter from plants. She doesn't like veggies and I've been slapped around here for calling things like nuts veggies in the past, so "plant matter".

And it's my husband, of moderate carbs, who calls vegetables "rabbit food". To be fair, we had rabbits and they ate the vegetables and fruits. They didn't eat the cooked veggies but my husband will. Rabbit food.

Please don't be coy. It's a common insult to call vegetables "rabbit food".

It's also woefully ignorant to classify the broad array of plants together.

Spinach hardly fills the same nutritional niche as wheat.

In the same vein, you can't compare nuts and spinach either.

The church of keto does not believe that vegetables are necessary to good health and believe that fiber is overrated and unnecessary as well...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

I just think that if you completely cut out veggies and fruit (since on LCHF you can't really have fruit), you are missing out on a lot of fiber, vitamins and minerals. While the short term effects might not be bad, it's not good for you in the long run. If you are doing LCHF, you really need to eat at least some vegetables.

The vitamins and minerals can be found in animal products. Fiber? Not so much but it appears to be most beneficial when one is eating vegetation.

There really is no evidence that an animal based diet is bad for you, as far as I know. If you have some sort of study on it I'd love to see it.

I'm confused on.....:"plant matter" and the foods you listed above, all of which are fruits and grains, except for the pickle which is pickled cucumber.

I've had great success with my picky children with texture issues using this method. I also blend vegetables into sauces for casseroles and pasta.

Also... an aside... "rabbit food"... really? This comment is not directed to Sue.

I love my vegetables, but I've never thought of blending them as sauces for casseroles and pasta I'll have to try that.

I also don't now what rabbit food is....when I was a kid, my rabbit ate rabbit food from the pet food store.
    No snark, legit question: how can it be texture if you dislike all of them? They don't all have the same texture.

Finally, this is what I was thinking. There are so many types of vegetables that it seems odd that a person doesn't like a few of them.

My discovery from last year is spaghetti squash, which can be made into some wonderful dishes, including deserts!

Plant matter... matter from plants. She doesn't like veggies and I've been slapped around here for calling things like nuts veggies in the past, so "plant matter".

And it's my husband, of moderate carbs, who calls vegetables "rabbit food". To be fair, we had rabbits and they ate the vegetables and fruits. They didn't eat the cooked veggies but my husband will. Rabbit food.

Not being coy. My husband calls veggies rabbit food. I do all of the cooking and I don't find that insulting. I don't think the vegetables are insulted.

And yes. I've been told it is wrong by some on MFP to group plants together. (I haven't been called ignorant before though.) That's why I called it plant matter.

Growing up we had a large garden and rabbits were my dad's nemesis, my sisters and I started calling all the veggies rabbit food to irk him :D We were kind of brats lol.

LOL
    The hares ate my hostas and the marigolds (which supposedly repel rabbits) this year. Dumb bunnies.

The point is that just because something grows off a plant does not mean it's a vegetable. You can't replace vegetables with your list of plant foods because they're not vegetables and have a whole different nutritional value.

Calling vegetables rabbit food is an insult to those of us who happen to like vegetables and treasure their nutritional value.

The veggies aren't insulted. Really.

People don't like coconut oil but I'm not insulted. A vegan may call meats living things and not want to eat them but I am not insulted just because they don't. My nephew doesn't like the way I cook a roast. Again, not insulted.

Being insulted by the term rabbit food is a bit too sensitive or PC. It's just vegetables.
  • nvmomketo
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The church of educated people who eat keto does not believe have learned that vegetables are not necessary to good health and believe that fiber is overrated and unnecessary as well...

Fixed it.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Orphia... LCHF works for some people. A lot of people are more satiated on high protien diets. If this is what she wants to do and it works for her... Then she should do it.

My question for the OP is What kind of textures don't you like. Maybe you need to find veggies, sauces, and cooking methods that you can tolerate and start there.

let me know if you would like some recipes. I have a kiddo that has texture issues so I have definitely had to get creative in the veggie recipes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2016

The church of educated people who eat keto does not believe have learned that vegetables are not necessary to good health and believe that fiber is overrated and unnecessary as well...

Fixed it.

It wasn't broken...most people who are in a cult don't know it...

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/04/nutrition/5-signs-diet-diet-cult_98094
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    My question for the OP is What kind of textures don't you like. Maybe you need to find veggies, sauces, and cooking methods that you can tolerate and start there./quote]

I'm not a fan of anything crunchy (unless it is a potato chip :D )

Some veggies have multiple textures like broccoli- first, it stinks-second, it's a little crunchy-third, it's a little gritty to me.

I'm a weirdo, what can I say.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member

It would be pretty hard to get vitamins A and C with only meat and dairy. Also, fiber as you noted is almost nonexistent, which has the unfortunate result of constipation in a lot of people. There really aren't too many studies on the all meat diet. Really the only one was done in the 1930s with a population size of 2. They were also explorers and physically fit and it only lasted a year. It's also not a very compelling sample size. It really hasn't been studied so yes, there are no studies that prove it's bad, but there aren't any that say it's good. Also, to be honest, you can make a study say anything. Just google studies on meat consumption and you will get everything from "eating meat is worse that smoking" to "high fat diets are not the nail in the coffin we thought." And you can definitely find tons of studies on vitamin deficent diets with some crazy side effects (blindness, scurvy, etc.) But even most keto/Atkins promote low carb, high fiber veggies. If the poster does not want to eat veggies, she can at least get this stuff in fruit and whole grains, which would be hard to fit into a low carb diet. I'm sure it helps some people and I definitely lean on the side of low carb high fat/protein diet. But I also eat tons of veggies. I feel like most doctors would recommend cutting out all produce.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited October 2016
    My question for the OP is What kind of textures don't you like. Maybe you need to find veggies, sauces, and cooking methods that you can tolerate and start there./quote]

I'm not a fan of anything crunchy (unless it is a potato chip :D )

Some veggies have multiple textures like broccoli- first, it stinks-second, it's a little crunchy-third, it's a little gritty to me.

I'm a weirdo, what can I say.

ah ha!, Maybe get some brocolli carrot slaw mix and make the Asian dish floating on the web. It's super delicious. Maybe trade the sugar with some stevia. Cook it enough and it will lose it's crunch, it's mostly the stems so they don't smell so bad and the soy murders the flavor. Add me as a friend and I will see if I can send you some of my recipes. I cook for picky eaters all the time. :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Orphia... LCHF works for some people. A lot of people are more satiated on high protien diets. If this is what she wants to do and it works for her... Then she should do it.

My question for the OP is What kind of textures don't you like. Maybe you need to find veggies, sauces, and cooking methods that you can tolerate and start there.

let me know if you would like some recipes. I have a kiddo that has texture issues so I have definitely had to get creative in the veggie recipes.

LCHF isn't a high protein diet, it's a high fat diet. Atkins is the high protein version. Either way, some folks find this WOE works for them regarding hunger and food choice.

I do disagree that veggies aren't necessary for good health. But it's my understanding most ketoers don't eliminate them, they just choose the less carby ones.

OP, regardless of whatever WOE works for you, you really should eat veggies. I often blend them into smoothies. Carrots sweeten as well and raspberries make everything red.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member

I haven't seen a scientific consensus on animal based diets being bad, either. I just see a difference between an animal-based diet and an animal exclusive diet. With the latter being more akin to what you're advocating.

• nvmomketo
    edited October 2016

Fixed it.

It wasn't broken...most people who are in a cult don't know it...

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/04/nutrition/5-signs-diet-diet-cult_98094

LOL yeah... That must be it. :D
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP can we go back to why you think LCHF was a good solution for you? People have asked for clarification about why you are so averse to veggies, and potential ways to work them in to your foods to help overcome your aversions. Whether you are willing to try those or not, I'm curious why you were initially leaning toward LCHF, you said moodiness because of blood sugar issues? Can you elaborate more on those? Did a doctor suggest that the moodiness was related to blood sugar spikes? Are there other symptoms? I'm moody as *kitten* sometimes, but other than thinking I might need a Snickers, I generally don't chalk it up to my blood sugar any more than other factors like hormones, stress, etc.

What does your diet currently look like? Do you eat quite a bit of fruit and grains that you would likely be giving up if you did decide to go down the LCHF path?

Folks will tell you that you can eat nothing but meat, cheese, eggs and nuts and be healthy, and it isn't bad for you. That may be the case, but you'd definitely need to supplement many important vitamins and minerals in order to be healthy, or eat things like organ meats which aren't typically in the normal food choices for most folks. Is that something you are interested in? Does a diet where you are even more restricted than you are today by not eating veggies sound like something that will work well for your lifestyle?

• nvmomketo

It would be pretty hard to get vitamins A and C with only meat and dairy. Also, fiber as you noted is almost nonexistent, which has the unfortunate result of constipation in a lot of people. There really aren't too many studies on the all meat diet. Really the only one was done in the 1930s with a population size of 2. They were also explorers and physically fit and it only lasted a year. It's also not a very compelling sample size. It really hasn't been studied so yes, there are no studies that prove it's bad, but there aren't any that say it's good. Also, to be honest, you can make a study say anything. Just google studies on meat consumption and you will get everything from "eating meat is worse that smoking" to "high fat diets are not the nail in the coffin we thought." And you can definitely find tons of studies on vitamin deficent diets with some crazy side effects (blindness, scurvy, etc.) But even most keto/Atkins promote low carb, high fiber veggies. If the poster does not want to eat veggies, she can at least get this stuff in fruit and whole grains, which would be hard to fit into a low carb diet. I'm sure it helps some people and I definitely lean on the side of low carb high fat/protein diet. But I also eat tons of veggies. I feel like most doctors would recommend cutting out all produce.

I don't recommend cutting out all produce either. I like it. But I do know people who feel better, and are healthier, eating that way.

I agree that there are many (any?) studies out here on animal product diets but we know they are safe since a few cultures eat (ate) that way and were quite healthy. It isn't a bad thing. It's just unusual and some people seem to have a hard time with the fact that it is a safe way to eat.

Vitamin A is often best got from animal products, especially organ meat, and vitamin C is in meats, and at fairly good levels if it is not well cooked. Scurvy and such occurred more when people were subsisting mainly on grains and sugars, because of their long shelf life. If unsure, one could always add a multivitamin.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member

Fixed it.

Wow. Thank goodness you fixed it. I'm not that tactful sometimes.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Fixed it.

So, how often do you eat organ meat?
  • nvmomketo
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

I haven't seen a scientific consensus on animal based diets being bad, either. I just see a difference between an animal-based diet and an animal exclusive diet. With the latter being more akin to what you're advocating.

I don't think I am advocating for an animal exclusive diet. I eat vegetables and plant sourced foods, but I do want to make the point that it is a healthy choice. No mineral or nutrient appears to be lacking in such a diet. KWIM?

I think the OP would be happy to add in other foods but I just stated that she doesn't have to do so. I also suggested nuts, seeds, olive, avocado, and low GI fruits too. People just don't think animal diets are a good idea based on very little (or no) scientific basis. Just bias.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    My husband has food texture issues and can't/won't eat veggies either. Recently he's started drinking Tropicana Farmstand Tropical Green juice. One serving has the equivalent of one veggie/one fruit. It's not ideal but he can tolerate it so something is better than nothing! It's 120 calories for 8 fl oz/27 g of carbs, so I don't know if that would fit in with your woe, but it might be something to look into.

I DRINK A GREEN JUICE HANDMADE FROM sprouts, I AM IN OKLAHOMA. THE BOTTLE OF 8 OUNCES CONTAINS ONLY THE JUICES OF SPINACH, KALE, CELERY, CUCUMBER, PARSLEY AND APPLE. 30 CALORIES, NO CARBS, NO SALT, 1 GRAM PROTEIN. MOST THINGS I WOULD NOT EAT, EXCEPT SPINACH, CUKES AND APPLE, BUT LOVE ALL OF THEM TOGETHER. GREAT WAY TO GET MOST OF THE BENEFITS, W/OUT EATING ALL OF THE VEGGIES. JMO. OH AND IT DOES HAVE A FEW GRAMS OF FIBER, I THINK 3. NOTHING BUT THE JUICE, MADE DAILY OR TO ORDER!

How can you have carbohydrate-free apple juice? Apple juice is just pure carbohydrates.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I don't think I am advocating for an animal exclusive diet. I eat vegetables and plant sourced foods, but I do want to make the point that it is a healthy choice. No mineral or nutrient appears to be lacking in such a diet. KWIM?

I think the OP would be happy to add in other foods but I just stated that she doesn't have to do so. I also suggested nuts, seeds, olive, avocado, and low GI fruits too. People just don't think animal diets are a good idea based on very little (or no) scientific basis. Just bias.

To the bolded, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it CAN BE a healthy choice, if a person takes care to ensure that they are getting necessary vitamins and minerals but this takes effort? As mentioned above, one would have to be willing to eat organ meat and/or supplement pretty heavily with vitamins in order to achieve the same benefits as eating a varied diet with vegetables, fruits, and grains.

• KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2016
    As someone seriously entrenched in the Paleo way of thinking for many years and now just realizing that I only bought into yet another fad...I must caution you on this. ESPECIALLY for women very low carb can open up a host of hormonal issues. I just finished a big metabolism reset to try and make up for the damage. Keep in mind that your pituitary gland doesn't care that you want to lose weight. I could go on...
    On a less ominous note I chuckled a little when I read your joke that you are a bad person for not eating veggies. While I don't think going very low carb is good, I also don't think one needs to shove buckets of veggies down their throats either. Sure, eat some veggies...but also make sure you are getting plenty of dietary fats from high quality coconut oil, grass fed/pastured animals, eggs, etc. Personally if I have to pick an eating "plan" I like Weston A. Price or if you absolutely must be gluten free Perfect Health Diet. But I also ate some Smarties the other day after a work out to help with recovery so from experience it doesn't help long term to be super strict with your diet.
    FYI I also thought I needed to be gluten free for a while but now am using some Ayurvedic herbs and lifestyle changes to improve my overall digestion which has translated into being able to eat wheat without issue again...whoo hoo!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »

To the bolded, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it CAN BE a healthy choice, if a person takes care to ensure that they are getting necessary vitamins and minerals but this takes effort? As mentioned above, one would have to be willing to eat organ meat and/or supplement pretty heavily with vitamins in order to achieve the same benefits as eating a varied diet with vegetables, fruits, and grains.

If I remember correctly, organ meats (at least some of them) are high in potassium and magnesium -- two things it would be difficult to get on a plant-free diet otherwise (unless there is a food I'm not thinking of). I don't see a (non-supplemented) plan like this working unless it included regular organ meat consumption, something that would be a challenge for some people's tastebuds if they're choosing the diet due to strong food aversions (of course, they could be vegetable/fruit-averse and like organ meat fine).,