No Veggies/LCHF

Options

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    The more I'm reading about LCHF I don't think it's for me. The veggies are a texture thing for me that I have struggled with my whole life. Believe me I wish it wasn't gross for me to eat them, it would make losing weight a lot easier.

Thanks for all the feedback!

The good news is, you really don't have to change the things you eat, you need to change how much you eat. I am about 140ish pounds down these days, and I eat exactly the same kinds of things I ate before. There may be health reasons you will want to incorporate veggies, but there's nothing special about either veggies or low carb except in that veggies tend to be filling for their calories, and some people find themselves less hungry on low carb (I sure didn't!).

If the thought of LCHF isn't appealing to you - don't do it. You can keep a modest calorie deficit and eat whatever you like and you'll lose weight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    If it's texture then make soup and purées

I've had great success with my picky children with texture issues using this method. I also blend vegetables into sauces for casseroles and pasta.

Also... an aside... "rabbit food"... really? This comment is not directed to Sue.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a few keto'ers in there that found they felt better and better the more they cut their veggies. they are now essentially carnivores and quite happy and healthy.

Seafood is good to include if you can. For plant matter, if you want it, how about olives, nuts, seeds, pickles, avocados, coconut or hemp and chia? Can you eat veggies if they are well fatted up? My husband is not a fan of rabbit food but he'll eat it, and enjoy it if I add lots of cheese, butter or oil. Tonight is a broccoli cream cheese casserole. He will only eat cooked veggies too.

You can have some fruit. Just keep it low GI if you are having more than a couple of bites. Berries are the lowest GI.

If you can't have veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you eat good quality eggs, meat, dairy and seafood, you will be fine.

I'm confused on.....:"plant matter" and the foods you listed above, all of which are fruits and grains, except for the pickle which is pickled cucumber.

I've had great success with my picky children with texture issues using this method. I also blend vegetables into sauces for casseroles and pasta.

Also... an aside... "rabbit food"... really? This comment is not directed to Sue.

I love my vegetables, but I've never thought of blending them as sauces for casseroles and pasta I'll have to try that.

I also don't now what rabbit food is....when I was a kid, my rabbit ate rabbit food from the pet food store.
    lissmayer wrote: »
    No snark, legit question: how can it be texture if you dislike all of them? They don't all have the same texture.

Finally, this is what I was thinking. There are so many types of vegetables that it seems odd that a person doesn't like a few of them.

My discovery from last year is spaghetti squash, which can be made into some wonderful dishes, including deserts!
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a few keto'ers in there that found they felt better and better the more they cut their veggies. they are now essentially carnivores and quite happy and healthy.

Seafood is good to include if you can. For plant matter, if you want it, how about olives, nuts, seeds, pickles, avocados, coconut or hemp and chia? Can you eat veggies if they are well fatted up? My husband is not a fan of rabbit food but he'll eat it, and enjoy it if I add lots of cheese, butter or oil. Tonight is a broccoli cream cheese casserole. He will only eat cooked veggies too.

You can have some fruit. Just keep it low GI if you are having more than a couple of bites. Berries are the lowest GI.

If you can't have veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you eat good quality eggs, meat, dairy and seafood, you will be fine.

I'm confused on.....:"plant matter" and the foods you listed above, all of which are fruits and grains, except for the pickle which is pickled cucumber.

I love my vegetables, but I've never thought of blending them as sauces for casseroles and pasta I'll have to try that.

I also don't now what rabbit food is....when I was a kid, my rabbit ate rabbit food from the pet food store.
    No snark, legit question: how can it be texture if you dislike all of them? They don't all have the same texture.

Finally, this is what I was thinking. There are so many types of vegetables that it seems odd that a person doesn't like a few of them.

My discovery from last year is spaghetti squash, which can be made into some wonderful dishes, including deserts!

Spaghetti squash with butter, shaved parmesan, garlic, basil...omgggggg
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I haven't thought of this.....I LOVE Parmesan, and it's one of the few cheeses I can eat (lactose intolerant), and basil. I've got to try this! Maybe this weekend!
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I haven't thought of this.....I LOVE Parmesan, and it's one of the few cheeses I can eat (lactose intolerant), and basil. I've got to try this! Maybe this weekend!

Totally not my idea. But we eat it a lot.
    http://damndelicious.net/2016/05/06/garlic-parmesan-spaghetti-squash/
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Do you like tomato sauce? Soup? Salad? My husband doesn't much like most vegetables, but he'll eat them in soup or in a tomato sauce dish like chili or spaghetti.

I've done no carb eating in the past. It gets very boring, very fast, and constipation is a major problem. I didn't eat eggs or chicken for years after doing Stillman.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    aliem wrote: »

I just think that if you completely cut out veggies and fruit (since on LCHF you can't really have fruit), you are missing out on a lot of fiber, vitamins and minerals. While the short term effects might not be bad, it's not good for you in the long run. If you are doing LCHF, you really need to eat at least some vegetables.

The vitamins and minerals can be found in animal products. Fiber? Not so much but it appears to be most beneficial when one is eating vegetation.

There really is no evidence that an animal based diet is bad for you, as far as I know. If you have some sort of study on it I'd love to see it.

Plant matter... matter from plants. She doesn't like veggies and I've been slapped around here for calling things like nuts veggies in the past, so "plant matter".

And it's my husband, of moderate carbs, who calls vegetables "rabbit food". To be fair, we had rabbits and they ate the vegetables and fruits. They didn't eat the cooked veggies but my husband will. Rabbit food.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do LCHF to lose weight.

LCHF is just the latest fad like low fat was in the eighties.

Everything in moderation for health.

Low blood sugar / moodiness? Is that a medical term? :smiley:

Have you been starving yourself trying to diet? You might just need to eat a bit more, and/or more often.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    i make smoothies with frozen tropical fruit,yogurt,almond milk-& when i add veggies i cant even taste them
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited October 2016
    Options

I just think that if you completely cut out veggies and fruit (since on LCHF you can't really have fruit), you are missing out on a lot of fiber, vitamins and minerals. While the short term effects might not be bad, it's not good for you in the long run. If you are doing LCHF, you really need to eat at least some vegetables.

The vitamins and minerals can be found in animal products. Fiber? Not so much but it appears to be most beneficial when one is eating vegetation.

There really is no evidence that an animal based diet is bad for you, as far as I know. If you have some sort of study on it I'd love to see it.

Plant matter... matter from plants. She doesn't like veggies and I've been slapped around here for calling things like nuts veggies in the past, so "plant matter".

And it's my husband, of moderate carbs, who calls vegetables "rabbit food". To be fair, we had rabbits and they ate the vegetables and fruits. They didn't eat the cooked veggies but my husband will. Rabbit food.

Please don't be coy. It's a common insult to call vegetables "rabbit food".

It's also woefully ignorant to classify the broad array of plants together.

Spinach hardly fills the same nutritional niche as wheat.

In the same vein, you can't compare nuts and spinach either.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

Growing up we had a large garden and rabbits were my dad's nemesis, my sisters and I started calling all the veggies rabbit food to irk him :D We were kind of brats lol.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My husband has food texture issues and can't/won't eat veggies either. Recently he's started drinking Tropicana Farmstand Tropical Green juice. One serving has the equivalent of one veggie/one fruit. It's not ideal but he can tolerate it so something is better than nothing! It's 120 calories for 8 fl oz/27 g of carbs, so I don't know if that would fit in with your woe, but it might be something to look into.

I DRINK A GREEN JUICE HANDMADE FROM sprouts, I AM IN OKLAHOMA. THE BOTTLE OF 8 OUNCES CONTAINS ONLY THE JUICES OF SPINACH, KALE, CELERY, CUCUMBER, PARSLEY AND APPLE. 30 CALORIES, NO CARBS, NO SALT, 1 GRAM PROTEIN. MOST THINGS I WOULD NOT EAT, EXCEPT SPINACH, CUKES AND APPLE, BUT LOVE ALL OF THEM TOGETHER. GREAT WAY TO GET MOST OF THE BENEFITS, W/OUT EATING ALL OF THE VEGGIES. JMO. OH AND IT DOES HAVE A FEW GRAMS OF FIBER, I THINK 3. NOTHING BUT THE JUICE, MADE DAILY OR TO ORDER!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone has mentioned this already but I don't understand how it can be a texture issue when there are hundreds of different veggies and ways to prepare them of just about every texture there is!

Also I'd do searches on "ways to sneak veggies into meals" or something along those lines to where you can't even tell they're in there

Me personally I am not the biggest fan of sitting and munching on a bag of vegetables (though i do on rare occasion) so I just blend together spinach/berries with protein powder to make a berry chocolate shake

Good luck to you!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    If you can't tolerate vegetables, juicing isn't doing you near the good that making a smoothie would. You're robbing yourself of the fiber and I'm not certain that you're getting all the benefits.

I used to make delicious smoothies with lots of veg in them back when I was a raw vegan, and I'll vouch for parsley being a great addition. One of my favorites involved pear, pineapple, kale, and parsley. It was really refreshing.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Some of them I have tried. Some of them I can't get past the way they look or smell. For instance, green beans, I cook them for my family, but I have a hard time stomaching the way they smell and look. They look like they're slimy yet a little crunchy and I don't like that.

I'm sure some of it is in my head, but most of them just look so gross to me.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

The point is that just because something grows off a plant does not mean it's a vegetable. You can't replace vegetables with your list of plant foods because they're not vegetables and have a whole different nutritional value.

Calling vegetables rabbit food is an insult to those of us who happen to like vegetables and treasure their nutritional value.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So Atkins?

NO. Atkins includes LOTS of vegetables. They're "required".