No Veggies/LCHF

Options
I want to just start this post by saying I know how terrible of a person I am that I do not eat veggies and how healthy they are for you, but such is life....

I was looking over the guidelines for LCHF and was thinking all I'd be able to eat is eggs, meat and cheese. I mean is there anything else if you don't like veggies?

I feel like LCHF might help with my low blood sugar issues (aka moodiness), but I cant just eat eggs, meat, and cheese.

Any thoughts? (Don't tell me to eat veggies LOL)

Replies

• Missymeredith
    Missymeredith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well there is really nothing more I can offer since there are so many limitations... Veggies are amazing maybe try fruits and veggies that have low GI.... green smoothies, coconut butters other oils.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My husband has food texture issues and can't/won't eat veggies either. Recently he's started drinking Tropicana Farmstand Tropical Green juice. One serving has the equivalent of one veggie/one fruit. It's not ideal but he can tolerate it so something is better than nothing! It's 120 calories for 8 fl oz/27 g of carbs, so I don't know if that would fit in with your woe, but it might be something to look into.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Fruit, nuts, beans? Also, if there are any vegetables at all that you eat - there's a bajillion of them afterall - don't cut those out rather limit the quantity if they're higher carb.

Also, also, have you considered upping your activity level or adding some deliberate exercise? More activity can cover a multitude of diet sins if your carb/sugar issues aren't too far gone yet. Just a thought.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think you might have problems being hungry (or way overeating calorie wise) if you don't add in some veggies. Are there some you can tolerate? maybe there are different ways you can prepare it. If you really can't tolerate veggies, I am not sure if this diet will work for you. You need to be able to supplement the high fat (aka small portions) with something low carb that will fill you up. Maybe there is something else you can try?
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The more I'm reading about LCHF I don't think it's for me. The veggies are a texture thing for me that I have struggled with my whole life. Believe me I wish it wasn't gross for me to eat them, it would make losing weight a lot easier.

Thanks for all the feedback!
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have you tried zoodles? Or are their any veggies you like at all? I hate them for the most part, but I can deal with carrots, asparagus and artichokes.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Have you tried zoodles? Or are their any veggies you like at all? I hate them for the most part, but I can deal with carrots, asparagus and artichokes.

What's a zoodle?

If potatoes are considered a veggie, lol

No, no veggies at all...well maybe corn, but I think most do not consider that a veggie
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

What's a zoodle?

If potatoes are considered a veggie, lol

No, no veggies at all...well maybe corn, but I think most do not consider that a veggie

They are vegetables, they are just starchy vegetables...they definitely wouldn't work except in very small amounts for LCHF.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The more I'm reading about LCHF I don't think it's for me. The veggies are a texture thing for me that I have struggled with my whole life. Believe me I wish it wasn't gross for me to eat them, it would make losing weight a lot easier.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Perfectly understandable. You have to enjoy your food in order to make sustainable changes. Maybe work on improving the quality of the carbs you eat in addition to more exercise? A lot of people have good results eating more whole grains and starches and less refined flour and sugar. There's a balance that will work for you - just keep trying until you find it. Best wishes.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also, have you tried all veggies and decided you didn't like them? Because how they are prepared makes a big difference as well.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I have seen zero carb dieters and I think it would be so difficult (but I'm a veggie lover).
  • dmkuhlman
    dmkuhlman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My family has been eating the LCHF/Ketogenic lifestyle for 10 weeks now. Once you get past the first 3-4 days, you won't crave carbs/sugar as much. I haven't been eating a ton of vegetables. I throw spinach into egg cups for breakfast and you don't even notice it. We'll grill up or roast our veggies with dinner. Make Cauliflower mash.....it's really good loaded with all the stuff you would put into a loaded baked potato - cheese, heavy cream, bacon, green onions, etc. I actually like this way of eating because we get to eat full fat cheese, cottage cheese, heavy cream, etc. Our family has also been losing weight! What more can you ask for. Go onto Pinterest, there are TONS of recipes to make.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I used to hate veggies too. But, then I started eating them raw or just barely cooked (so they are still a bit crunchy), it worked. I now love veggies as long as they are cooked to my liking. I don't know if this would work for you - but I had to find something to fill me up at meal time. Glad I did - I've lost well over 100 lbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a few keto'ers in there that found they felt better and better the more they cut their veggies. they are now essentially carnivores and quite happy and healthy.

Seafood is good to include if you can. For plant matter, if you want it, how about olives, nuts, seeds, pickles, avocados, coconut or hemp and chia? Can you eat veggies if they are well fatted up? My husband is not a fan of rabbit food but he'll eat it, and enjoy it if I add lots of cheese, butter or oil. Tonight is a broccoli cream cheese casserole. He will only eat cooked veggies too.

You can have some fruit. Just keep it low GI if you are having more than a couple of bites. Berries are the lowest GI.

If you can't have veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you eat good quality eggs, meat, dairy and seafood, you will be fine.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I want to just start this post by saying I know how terrible of a person I am that I do not eat veggies and how healthy they are for you, but such is life....

I was looking over the guidelines for LCHF and was thinking all I'd be able to eat is eggs, meat and cheese. I mean is there anything else if you don't like veggies?

I feel like LCHF might help with my low blood sugar issues (aka moodiness), but I cant just eat eggs, meat, and cheese.

Any thoughts? (Don't tell me to eat veggies LOL)

Cutting out starches is way easier than it seems (at least for me it was) I don't want or crave potatoes, rice or noodles now. If you don't eat veggies then you are eating mostly meats, eggs and cheese anyway, I would guess, with those aforementioned starches added in. I don't care for veggies very much either and actually many are not exactly LCHF friendly - carrots, for example. Way too much sugar for me to eat those. I eat what I like and discard the rest. I've never eaten many veggies and I will tell you I am healthier now than I've been in years and I'm Keto.

There are so many wonderful recipes out there and foods to eat that are low carb substitutes that I find it very sustainable. There are breads ways to make things like pizza crust and breads that are tasty to many of us. While others may not like them. You have to learn to be brave and experiment with your meals and foods. Listen to @nvomomketo and check out the group. You may find out you are surprised by what's available to you!
    Good luck!

ETA: Please do check out the group - you will find factual information that will help you make more of an informed decision vs speculation and misunderstandings. There are people with many years of experience, links to reputable information and ongoing real time learning every day. If in the end, it's not for you, then fine, you made an informed decision and you do you another way.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are a few keto'ers in there that found they felt better and better the more they cut their veggies. they are now essentially carnivores and quite happy and healthy.

Seafood is good to include if you can. For plant matter, if you want it, how about olives, nuts, seeds, pickles, avocados, coconut or hemp and chia? Can you eat veggies if they are well fatted up? My husband is not a fan of rabbit food but he'll eat it, and enjoy it if I add lots of cheese, butter or oil. Tonight is a broccoli cream cheese casserole. He will only eat cooked veggies too.

You can have some fruit. Just keep it low GI if you are having more than a couple of bites. Berries are the lowest GI.

If you can't have veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. If you eat good quality eggs, meat, dairy and seafood, you will be fine.

I just think that if you completely cut out veggies and fruit (since on LCHF you can't really have fruit), you are missing out on a lot of fiber, vitamins and minerals. While the short term effects might not be bad, it's not good for you in the long run. If you are doing LCHF, you really need to eat at least some vegetables.