Is this a gym or a high school?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I spend more time pacing/talking than I do lifting. Why? Because it takes me maybe 30 seconds to set up and lift a set. Then - often - about 5 minutes of resting before the next set. I'm pretty sure nobody at my gym thinks my priorities aren't in order.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I spend more time pacing/talking than I do lifting. Why? Because it takes me maybe 30 seconds to set up and lift a set. Then - often - about 5 minutes of resting before the next set. I'm pretty sure nobody at my gym thinks my priorities aren't in order.

I said the thing about priorities because I think it's ridiculous that this guy had to ask someone else why I won't talk to him. Not because he talks in general.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have never been interrupted mid-set or mid-run. The only conversations I have had with my fellow gym goers were to answer the following two questions:

- Excuse me, do you know what time it is? (I always want to say it's GO time but I resist.)
    - How many more sets do you have?

• walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    So when I go to the gym I keep to myself & just focus on my workout. If someone says Good Morning to me of course I'll reply. There are maybe 2 people that I will chat with briefly. I avoid most other people because they spend more time standing around & talking than they do working out. Hey if that's your thing then fine, but don't expect everyone else to have to be a part of it. So I just focus on my workout & go home. The other day one of the only people who I will talk to comes up to me & tells me that this other guy at the gym asked him why I don't like him & wont talk to him. Really? This is your focus at the gym? How is me speaking to you the least bit relevant to you or your workout? Please get your priorities in order. Sorry just had to do a quick rant.

Unfortunately, the fact that you will talk to the one guy became apparent to the other one, and he doesn't understand why you don't talk to him. It's strange that that guy even told you about it!

• Gaygirl2120
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    I love this thread - I keep myself to myself too and mainly chat to the trainers if they are not busy. What I love is that the guy sent someone else to talk to you LOL - aw bless, didn't even have the stones to come and speak to you. Maybe next week he will pass a note via someone in the gym ;)

lol I wouldn't be shocked at the point
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The extent of talking at my gym I see is generally "Are you done with that machine?" or "Can I jump in and do a set while you rest?" Practical and Efficient. I like it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I have yet to go to a gym where people even say 'hello' to each other regularly, forget trying to strike up a conversation (exception for good friends/family).

I would find it weird to have a random gym-goer try to start socializing, and I'm sure my expression would communicate that very clearly.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I always disrupt others to find out when they are going to leave.

But when someone does that to me, I go full Lex Luthor ;)

Ah the double standard.

OP, don't be anti-social. Gym is also a social scene. Don't treat it like you are training for the hunger games. Lighten up.

Sorry, but says who exactly?

I sure as heck don't consider the gym a "social scene"...it's a place where I pay to use equipment I don't have at home and that is it. If it's social for you, that's great, but don't assume everyone feels the same way (or should.)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If I got pissed every time some one tried to chat with me, I would need a Xanax by the time I left. I just embrace it. I'm a people person and will get the workout done regardless. As long as it's while I'm resting, it's whatever.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Ah the double standard.

OP, don't be anti-social. Gym is also a social scene. Don't treat it like you are training for the hunger games. Lighten up.

You're right. The OP is totally obligated to speak with people she doesn't want to speak with just because they are sharing the same space. Please.
  • pazzynj
    pazzynj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can relate some. My 1st gym was the neighbor **fitness. It was more socializing than exercising. I admit I would get a little distracted when a attractive guy would cross my path or ask me a question! LoL :)) I stop going because I felt I wasn't accomplishing my goals. Luckly my job has a private gym & everyone focuses on they individual routines. I have a workout buddy now so I stay more focused. For me the gym is not a place I'd want to socialize being sweaty, smelly, hair all out of place.... I'd rather socialize after cleaning up :)
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So when I go to the gym I keep to myself & just focus on my workout. If someone says Good Morning to me of course I'll reply. There are maybe 2 people that I will chat with briefly. I avoid most other people because they spend more time standing around & talking than they do working out. Hey if that's your thing then fine, but don't expect everyone else to have to be a part of it. So I just focus on my workout & go home. The other day one of the only people who I will talk to comes up to me & tells me that this other guy at the gym asked him why I don't like him & wont talk to him. Really? This is your focus at the gym? How is me speaking to you the least bit relevant to you or your workout? Please get your priorities in order. Sorry just had to do a quick rant.

Exactly!! I think you nailed it right on the head, and is one of the reasons why I was frustrated by going to the gym. The whole reason on going in the first place, is to workout/exercise and feel good about yourself, isn't it?!? The gym isn't a night club, or some other pick-up joint. Like you said, there are those who you don't mind saying hello to, but otherwise I'm there for me, myself, and I.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If I got pissed every time some one tried to chat with me, I would need a Xanax by the time I left. I just embrace it. I'm a people person and will get the workout done regardless. As long as it's while I'm resting, it's whatever.

That's me too! I get my kitten done but I also like to socialize. Life's too short not to have some fun!
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have never been interrupted mid-set or mid-run. The only conversations I have had with my fellow gym goers were to answer the following two questions:

- Excuse me, do you know what time it is? (I always want to say it's GO time but I resist.)
    - How many more sets do you have?

What pops in my head as an answer is, "It's tiiiiime for lunch!" from Bubble Guppies. But, I have a 4-year-old, so...
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

One of the many reasons I won't apply for a gym membership ever again. I like to workout alone. I mean when I had a membership in a different town, if a friend wants to come with me then that's fine, but we get *kitten* done we need to and go chat outside of the fitness area or in the locker rooms. I do miss the swimming pool, sauna, and steam room though at the old gym, but they were too far away and the manager had a problem with me which caused me to close my acct there.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh, c'mon people. Most of us go to the gym at the same time every day, every week. So do other people. And you're going to just keep staring at the ground every time you see/pass that same person for the umpteenth time?
    Jeez. Get over your ridiculous insociability. You don't have to set everything aside for a deep heart-to-heart. But, give 'em a little wave, at least.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options

Ah the double standard.

I'm not there to be social & anyone who thinks I am will be very disappointed.