80 pounds lost! After a setback, it's good to remind myself of the progress I've made!

Options
I've been struggling lately with feeling like a failure. I've re-gained about 20 pounds from my lowest weight, which puts me 30 from my goal weight. I've struggled with motivation and consistent eating and exercise. I've just gotten back into it within the past few days, and came across this picture while I was searching for motivation for myself and wanted to share!

5'5"
SW: 260
CW: 176.6
GW: 150

I was morbidly obese for most of my life, and was very much in denial. At my highest weight, I met the qualifications for morbid obesity, and also for weight loss surgery.

Here are some of the things that have changed for the better since I lost the weight:
  • When I bend down to tie my shoes, I don't have to hold my breath.
  • I can climb a flight (or 3 or 4) of stairs without being so out of breath that I need to stop and sit before I can have a conversation.
  • I can walk short distances (from the couch to the bed) after sitting for a while without my heart racing.
  • I don't have to worry about not being able to fit in chairs in places like the movies, auditoriums, planes, restaurants, and those plastic deck chairs with the arms.
  • I can sit cross-legged comfortably for the first time in memory.
  • I can find clothes more easily (not much, though, since now I have the opposite problem; I wear a small in shirts and a 32 in pants, and those sizes are more difficult to find in thrift stores, which is where I do most of my shopping).
  • I no longer look like a potato in the face and have a visible neck!
  • I no longer feel like I'm choking or being smothered when I lay on my back at night.
  • When I do lay on my back and put my hands on my stomach, I've gone from my fingers barely touching to my hands completely overlapping.
  • I regularly have people call me small!
  • I also regularly have people who are amazed that I weigh around 180 and that I still have 30 pounds that I would like to lose.
  • I'm no longer described as a "larger/bigger guy" when someone is describing me objectively to someone who hasn't met me.
  • Even though I haven't been working out as much as I would like lately, I am now able to see my underlying musculature when I "flex."
  • My fingers no longer look like sausages.
  • I have so much more energy.
  • I've significantly decreased my risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes (which runs in my family).
  • My shirts don't "gape" like they used to at the stomach when I sit. (This is starting to happen again, which is what really drove home that I'd gained some weight back.)
  • My friends and family are proud of me for losing the weight and (mostly) keeping it off for the past 2 years. When I occasionally post an old picture, they are amazed and say that they barely remember me like that.
  • I had to adjust my hat smaller (apparently, I had a decent amount of fat on my head)!
There are so many more, but those the ones that come to mind and the ones that were the most impactful.

So, pictures! Three comparison collages, then two befores followed by two afters. :) I'm always looking for new friends, so feel free to add me if you want!

mgxtezs2n54x.jpg

e4m2zfbfwe72.png

ax2qoc4vgced.png

twegccdfd8mj.jpg

mbt4up9yenwk.jpg

5bdq7592my6i.png

bllngkw1b3j3.jpg

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    What a great job you've done. Congrats!
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Would add you based on ownership of CAT BOWTIE!!! great success, and digital motivational cheers to stay on track!
  • notakumquat
    notakumquat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both! Jackie_Paper, the cat bow tie is my absolute favorite and is a huge success where I work (Western Carolina University) since our mascot is a Catamount! :)
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    OMG I am SO proud of you - and you don't even know me. GREAT work!!!! Thank you for sharing.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    you're killing it! and I was going through your list nodding my head in recognition.
  • notakumquat
    Options
    OMG I am SO proud of you - and you don't even know me. GREAT work!!!! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks so much!! :)
  • notakumquat
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    you're killing it! and I was going through your list nodding my head in recognition.

Thanks! Reading the lists of changes/differences from others helps keep me motivated, so I figured I'd include my own! :)
  • Scorpio8402
    Scorpio8402 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and great job!! You look amazing!
  • tltmom
    tltmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You are so inspirational! I've had the same struggle lately myself. I appreciate your honesty. Best wishes to you for continued success!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Be proud... i say this with humor .. now you're just working on "vanity"weight. :)
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    when we are on track is awesome, but what is most impressive is when we fall off this crazy wagon and actually get back on! Good for you!
  • gunchic15
    gunchic15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! That's so awesome and you look so happy too. I can totally relate to that list and just helps me put it into perspective too, I'm on a 1400 calorie and high protein diet ND belviq, doing six months of medical and nutritionAL weight loss program prior to electing to have the sleeve. Did you have wls to assist in the loss?? Thanks. Keep up the good work and don't feel like a failure, it's life and a lifestyle so there are forwards and backwards and now you realize you will set yourself up to go forwards again. xoxo
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You are doing so good! Keep up the awesome work! You look great!
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! You can and will overcome this setback, no problem!
  • elleelle03
    elleelle03 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    you look great! you are an inspiration! Don't give up, you can do this
  • notakumquat
    Options
    gunchic15 wrote: »
    Great job!!! That's so awesome and you look so happy too. I can totally relate to that list and just helps me put it into perspective too, I'm on a 1400 calorie and high protein diet ND belviq, doing six months of medical and nutritionAL weight loss program prior to electing to have the sleeve. Did you have wls to assist in the loss?? Thanks. Keep up the good work and don't feel like a failure, it's life and a lifestyle so there are forwards and backwards and now you realize you will set yourself up to go forwards again. xoxo

I did not have WLS, but I seriously considered it. I lost 30 pounds just from removing dairy from my diet once I found out I was allergic. The rest was mostly due to the fact that I was pain-free for the first time in my adult life (my dairy allergy manifested in fibromyalgia-type symptoms including chronic debilitating pain, stiffness, and chronic fatigue) and was less depressed and had more energy than I knew what to do with. That said, I would never call it easy, but I know I was lucky.

Good luck in your efforts, and you've got this!!
  • notakumquat
    Options
    Congratulations and great job!! You look amazing!

Thanks! :)
  • notakumquat
    Options
    tltmom wrote: »
    You are so inspirational! I've had the same struggle lately myself. I appreciate your honesty. Best wishes to you for continued success!

Thanks so much! Being honest keeps me accountable, and keeps me from slipping too far down the rabbit-hole of binge eating! :)
  • notakumquat
    Options
    Be proud... i say this with humor .. now you're just working on "vanity"weight. :)

Thanks so much! I suppose it is technically vanity weight at this point; I hadn't thought of it that way, but I like it! :)
  • notakumquat
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    when we are on track is awesome, but what is most impressive is when we fall off this crazy wagon and actually get back on! Good for you!

Agreed! Thanks! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!