When did you stop feeling 'fat'?

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    HaleCry wrote: »
    When was it for you, that you looked in the mirror and didn't think of yourself as overweight? Was it once you entered the healthy BMI range? Was it when you were in a certain clothes size? Or did it just one day click?

I've lost 22lbs so far, 18lbs to go until I have a 'healthy BMI', but I can't notice much difference at all... I'm wondering whether I'll always consider myself the fat girl.

I'm several years into maintenance and have a bmi of around 21. I still have days where I feel 'fat' even though I know that's not the case. It's a mental hurdle that I don't know if I'll ever fully get over? This seems to be a pretty common issue among people who've lost weight.
  • sydneyrm0915
    sydneyrm0915 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I stopped drinking soda and loss all my bloatedness(real word?)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The only time I feel "unfat" is when I change clothing sizes or wear clothes around the house from before I started losing (down 93 lbs). It's only temporary, though. My fat brain always catches up. It's here to stay, and I'm ok with that.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    After dropping 30 pounds, clothes fit "normal" without all the buldging. Still not trim or athletic, but definitely not pudgy with a big belly.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've been working on body image so I'm trying to feel that even though I'm not in a healthy bmi range I'm trying to just be thankful my body got me this far, and I will work on getting into a healthy bmi so we can go farther.
  • Kira_72
    Kira_72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    around age 39 or 40 :) weight goes up and down, but my attitude says I'm healthy, I'm trying and I love the body I was given!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Funny. I have never not felt fat. Ever. Not when I was at 125 lbs years ago. I still felt fat, and never felt remotely skinny in the least. I am interested to see if I ever stop feeling fat now that you mention it.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Okohme wrote: »
    joelo_1119 wrote: »
    When I was able to fit into Abercrombie and H&M jeans lol

Damn. I had to look. I'll never Buy Abercrombie jeans, but I looked it up and I'm a size 8 or 10 in their jeans, which is like the fat girl end, I suppose. But I went from Walmart fat to Abercrombie fat. How about that. lol

I like it! It was cool to go into Old Navy and be able to try on jeans in the store. Oh, sure, they sell the plus sizes, but you have to buy online and hope for the best. When I was that heavy I'd NEVER buy anything online that I hadn't already tried on in the store, like replacements for my favorite khaki office pants from Kohl's once the inner thighs disintegrated. I know Old Navy isn't the same as Abercrombie, but the whole "I couldn't before but now I can" feeling is pretty great.

Nah, I'm with you. Any place that sells (regular sized?) pants like that its the same sort of deal. Some stores are better or worse about skinny people clothes, but, to me at least they're both "Mall stores."
  • fwitsend1277
    fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've dropped over 60lbs, and 4 dress sizes and my brain still doesn't see a difference. Guess it'll happen one day.....
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    When I look at myself in the mirror, I usually feel fat, though I'm within normal weight range. I see all the places where I still have fat. I also have strong muscular legs that look much fatter from above. However when I see myself in a photograph, I'm surprised at how good I look.

When my weight was up before, it was the photos that finally got through to me. I was in denial at how much weight I had gained until I saw some pictures of myself and couldn't pretend any longer.