Why do people still cough into their hands?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Bump - because unfortunately, this is still relevant :'(
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Meh. At least they try to cover it. I'd rather their hand than nothing at all.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Wear gloves, if touching surfaces is an issue? Coughing into your hands is polite.. Isn't that how it started? So that you don't have the unfortunate bugger coughing into your face and spreading it anyways? lol. If it is air borne we are catching it whether they cough, sneeze or lick you :joy: just depends on how good your immune system is.

I had full on contact.... everything :flushed: with a person who had the flu... I never caught it.. As much as I try to hold my breath exactly where it was, when the person coughs or sneezes.. It doesn't work lol ... They say tissues are meant to be good.. As long as you bin it afterwards and wash your hands.. Oh and don't touch anything! Use your elbows to open doors.. Lol aren't germs fun... I have a chest infection.... *licks screen* :joy:

Coughing into your elbow is more polite than coughing into your hands.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As opposed to coughing out into the air and spraying the germs all over everyone around them? *perplexed look*
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    That's the way I was brought up. Force of embedded habit. When I remember I do it another way.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Aren't you supposed to cough and sneeze in the crook of your arm?

Sneeze? Sounds moist?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    As opposed to coughing out into the air and spraying the germs all over everyone around them? *perplexed look*

@seekingdaintiness no as opposed to coughing into your elbow and not getting germs all over your hands.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »

If they didn't cover it at all, then only the people immediately surrounding them at that time would be in the infection zone. But to cough in to your hands then walk around touching things greatly increases the amount of possible infections.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

If they didn't cover it at all, then only the people immediately surrounding them at that time would be in the infection zone. But to cough in to your hands then walk around touching things greatly increases the amount of possible infections.

Or you can cough into your elbow and have less opportunity to spread the germs
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

Or you can cough into your elbow and have less opportunity to spread the germs

I was referring to only the pp's comment about "at least they did something", when in that specific case "something" is worse than "nothing".

I wholeheartedly agree that people at this point should be enlightened enough to know not to cough in to their hands.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I'd still much rather touch a germy doorknob instead of getting a snot spray in my face.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Some people like me, our elbows dont reach out mouth, to cover a cough
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Because other people won't let me cough into their hands.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »

Cough in to your shoulder. Cough in to a tissue. Cough in to your shirt sleeve.
  • singingflutelady
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I cough where ever the hell I want because nobodies going to tell me what I can do with my germs. I do what I want.

If the biggest upset of your day is the possible spread of germs, outside of another ebola breakout, you lead a pretty good life. Find something else to be angry about, you're not going to change everyone.

Well, some of us are immunosuppressed and sure it's not the biggest upset of my day but I could get very sick and possibly die because someone doesn't have the common sense not to infect everything around them.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options

How about I just don't cough at all, or get a tissue from you, I would hate to get what ever Im coughing out, on my sHirt sleeve
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

How about I just don't cough at all, or get a tissue from you, I would hate to get what ever Im coughing out, on my sHirt sleeve

I would love to give you a tissue if you need one ;)
  • alexisslolypop
    alexisslolypop Posts: 4,593 Member
    Options
    Why don't people wash their hands after using the restroom? No common sense.

Agree with that completely. Huge problem nowadays!