Calories in/Calories out vs. low carb

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I can do some serious damage to cold cereal and milk. But it's the combination. I was never one for eating it straight out of the box.

But I've also overeaten (to ridiculous extremes) egg salad and cheese.

Having been an emotional eater, it really was all about putting away a vast quantity of food, no matter what I was eating. That's why I don't really get the "the macros made me do it" arguments. My overeating was always behavior based.

I've never been an overeater or an emotional eater-- don't like feeling "full". I gradually gained a few pounds over time. I tend to plateau and maintain easily. I think my gain was age related and due to slowing metabolism over time. I was never overweight when younger and not too overweight at max weight. But I have trouble losing weight and don't understand how others can lose so easily but can gain back easily. I don't lose weight easily and do stall easily.

Well, I used to think those same things about myself -- that I had a slowed metabolism due to age and that I lost weight slowly.

That's not true.

You said you were using Nutri-System to lose weight. Were you logging and tracking at the time? Were you using a food scale? If you weren't you don't truly know your caloric intake.

At the time I thought I was having a hard time losing weight, I was estimating my food intake by eyeballing portions. When I starting actually logging and weighing everything, it was a real eye opener. I also started losing weight at pretty much the expected rate.

The truth is that age accounts for a very small decrease in metabolic rate, about 100 calories per decade.

I've said before that the way you speak about metabolism indicates that you misunderstand it. I stand by that.

Yes I was weighing. I went too low. Metabolism can slow down if you restrict too low too long.

I stand by that.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I can do some serious damage to cold cereal and milk. But it's the combination. I was never one for eating it straight out of the box.

Having been an emotional eater, it really was all about putting away a vast quantity of food, no matter what I was eating. That's why I don't really get the "the macros made me do it" arguments. My overeating was always behavior based.

I've never been an overeater or an emotional eater-- don't like feeling "full". I gradually gained a few pounds over time. I tend to plateau and maintain easily. I think my gain was age related and due to slowing metabolism over time. I was never overweight when younger and not too overweight at max weight. But I have trouble losing weight and don't understand how others can lose so easily but can gain back easily. I don't lose weight easily and do stall easily.

Well, I used to think those same things about myself -- that I had a slowed metabolism due to age and that I lost weight slowly.

That's not true.

You said you were using Nutri-System to lose weight. Were you logging and tracking at the time? Were you using a food scale? If you weren't you don't truly know your caloric intake.

At the time I thought I was having a hard time losing weight, I was estimating my food intake by eyeballing portions. When I starting actually logging and weighing everything, it was a real eye opener. I also started losing weight at pretty much the expected rate.

The truth is that age accounts for a very small decrease in metabolic rate, about 100 calories per decade.

I've said before that the way you speak about metabolism indicates that you misunderstand it. I stand by that.

Yes I was weighing. I went too low. Metabolism can slow down if you restrict too low too long.

I stand by that.

Not in the way you think, and in the time it takes to lose 10 pounds? You barely scratched the surface.

I'm surprised you were weighing food if you weren't on MFP yet and using Nutri System. Where were you logging food?
  • DebSozo
    Options

That's not true.

I stand by that.

Not in the way you think, and in the time it takes to lose 10 pounds? You barely scratched the surface.

I'm surprised you were weighing food if you weren't on MFP yet and using Nutri System. Where were you logging food?

Yes. Nutrisystem has logs to fill out. I actually bought the scale to use while on NS and was active on the NS Boards. They also have counselors that you can call.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Instead of editing, I'll add this... in the time it takes to lose 10 pounds, a simple period of eating at maintenance for a week or two is enough to replenish the hormones that have been depleted by dieting. That is all that has happened by that point.

There is no "metabolic adaptation". That usually happens in people who have dieted a long time who are trying to get very lean. The way to counter this is programmed diet breaks and a bit more movement.

Again, there is no "damage".

I stalled on 1200 calories. It wasn't until I joined MFP and reverse dieted and did some recomp that my metabolism got better. Now I can maintain at a higher number. Being on a low calorie diet for a long period can lower your resting metabolic rate.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Age, genetics and dieting affect rmr (resting metabolic rate)
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.healthydietadvisor.com/resting-metabolic-rate/amp/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I've done both.

I lost weight on Atkins easily BUT I couldn't eat like that for the rest of my life and thus why I failed at maintaining any weight I lost.

CICO - I can eat what I want in my calorie goal, I can play around with my calories (went over today by 100 reduce tomorrow by 100 or the next 2 days by 50) I know approximately how many calories I need to eat to maintain so this is a life long doable way for me.

This^

I've done both too. Low carb is never going to be a lifestyle for me. To me it's like eating one way to lose weight and then re-learning something else when I get to goal.

CICO helps me learn while I get to goal. A HUGE % of people who lose weight gain it back.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    btrsun10 wrote: »
    It's not one size fits all. I am low carb but that's because I love the food I get to eat. I LOVE cheese, butter, cream bacon. I mean I LOVE them lol. I understand now that what made ME fat was the crackers, bread, pasta and sugar that I used to eat along side these things. So I've cut those things out, eat the things I LOVE and am losing weight. These foods satisfy me and fill me up. I feel as if every day is a cheat day.
    I know that this is woe is not right for everyone, I get that. I know however that it is right for me :)
    One friend starves all week then eat what she wants at the weekend. She's losing weight.
    Another eats high carbs low fat, she's losing weight.
    Who is to say who is right and who is wrong? It's gotta be what works for YOU.

^exactly-- I tried high carb low fat and was miserable with being hungry all day. It took a lot of self control to maintain a deficit on that. With LCHF I'm naturally not hungry, can go long periods between meals and can even do IF. I never could have on high carb because I was driven to eat every three hours or suffer with fighting off hunger and a gnawing feeling in my stomach. I don't get that when I eat adequate healthy fats and low carbs.

Curious...did you ever try something in between? Only two extremes of the spectrum?

That's what I'm doing now. I've been able to balance them more evenly. Thanks.
    :)

Cool...I was just wondering because it seems like people just live in these extremes around here...if you're not low carb then you must be high carb...it seems like people often miss the fact that there's this whole huge middle area where a balanced diet resides.

But isn't more always better? (kidding)

But, you are totally right. Lots of extremes here. Moderation doesn't get the respect it deserves.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    btrsun10 wrote: »
    It's not one size fits all. I am low carb but that's because I love the food I get to eat. I LOVE cheese, butter, cream bacon. I mean I LOVE them lol. I understand now that what made ME fat was the crackers, bread, pasta and sugar that I used to eat along side these things. So I've cut those things out, eat the things I LOVE and am losing weight. These foods satisfy me and fill me up. I feel as if every day is a cheat day.
    I know that this is woe is not right for everyone, I get that. I know however that it is right for me :)
    One friend starves all week then eat what she wants at the weekend. She's losing weight.
    Another eats high carbs low fat, she's losing weight.
    Who is to say who is right and who is wrong? It's gotta be what works for YOU.

^exactly-- I tried high carb low fat and was miserable with being hungry all day. It took a lot of self control to maintain a deficit on that. With LCHF I'm naturally not hungry, can go long periods between meals and can even do IF. I never could have on high carb because I was driven to eat every three hours or suffer with fighting off hunger and a gnawing feeling in my stomach. I don't get that when I eat adequate healthy fats and low carbs.

Curious...did you ever try something in between? Only two extremes of the spectrum?

That's what I'm doing now. I've been able to balance them more evenly. Thanks.
    :)

Cool...I was just wondering because it seems like people just live in these extremes around here...if you're not low carb then you must be high carb...it seems like people often miss the fact that there's this whole huge middle area where a balanced diet resides.

But isn't more always better? (kidding)

But, you are totally right. Lots of extremes here. Moderation doesn't get the respect it deserves.

More is what brought me here :laugh:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    260 to 211 currently eating in moderation. About 10 pounds more to go.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Everyone around me tells me that ultra low carb is the way to go. I'd love to hear success stories of people who counted calories - enjoying the foods you love in moderation. I need to get past this mindset that I'm doing it wrong and won't see results if I eat cereal, sandwiches, etc.

Thanks!
    Katrina

For weight loss calories matter.
    Low carb is a preference, not a necessity. Sustainability of diet is more important than type of diet.
    I have lost over 20 lbs eating the food I always ate in appropriate portion sizes. Very painless and sustainable.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Echoing the statements above, I think moderation works best for most people, assuming you are accurately counting calories (CICO). For me, I think the food scale was the big turning point. I never had a lot of weight to lose (I was 157lbs as a 5'7" female, targeting 140-145), but I went at it pretty aggressively, trying to eat 1200 cals or less. I kept stalling and couldn't figure out why... turns out i'm a horrible estimator. My weight loss has been much more steady since I bought that scale.

Having said all of that, I started doing low carb because I found it was hard to eat carbs and stay full at 1200 calories. I continued because, through process of elimination, I discovered that the stomachaches and non-migraine headaches I had been suffering seemed to be linked to these foods. High sugar anything (candy, cake, cookies and fruits especially) would give me headaches, pastas, breads, even potatoes and corn products were giving me stomachaches. I feel better eating like this, but I recognize its not for everyone. I'm also lactose intolerant, so I pretty much live on lean veg and meat, again, definitely a diet most people probably couldn't tolerate for long periods of time, but for me the stomach issues ultimately just weren't worth it.

I do toy with my macros a LOT. I'm currently eating 1400 cals with a higher carb % than usual. We just finished up Hell Week at Orangetheory and my body was screaming for the extra fuel. However, I had my 3 week transformation challenge weigh in and although my weight had dropped 2lbs (yay!) my body fat % is actually up almost 2% (boo!). Next week starts another hard cut- 2 weeks of LOTS of protein and veggies, cutting back on the fats, and almost no carbs. Its short lived and then I'll go back to a more balanced diet.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am doing lower carb breakfast & lunches now and eating more normally w/ my family (reasonable portions and trying to pile on the veggies). This works great, isn't terribly extreme and keeps me satisfied so I actually am taking less in.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do low carb because nothing else worked for me. I could cut calories and maybe lose a lb or two but I was hungry ALL the time. When I switched to low carb almost 2 months ago I found I wasn't hungry often. I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day but sometimes I have days where I eat 1500 calories a day. A lot of icky feelings I used to get have gone away. It's not for everyone but it does work for a lot of people. You have to find what works for you and what you will be able to sustain even after you lose the weight.
  • MarkR_2013
    MarkR_2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Both. You need to consume less calories then you use. That's the cardinal principle of of weight loss.

The advantage of low carb lies in the fact that fats and proteins tend to take longer to digest. They "stick to your ribs" as is were, so you don't get hungry as soon. It's the same principle as the low glycemic index diets. The lower the glycemic index (GI), the longer it takes to digest. So, you can go longer between meals. Also, low GI foods don't spike your blood sugar level, so there's no surge and crash in your energy level. There's some other material about fat storage and usage, but I can't recall it at this time.
  • barni71
    barni71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done both lchf and calorie counted and lost weight with both and, for me, they both have pros and cons. I liked doing lchf because I felt like i could eat a lot and if i wanted to snack late at night there were a lot of no/low carb options that I could eat so I never felt I was denied anything and I also felt I ate more healthily on this diet. However I found it more expensive as, I was buying a lot more fresh produce, and time consuming as I was cooking meals from scratch. For cico I don't feel I can eat as much as I would like to and never feel full and my current diet is rubbish as I eat anything as long as it's within my calorie limit. On the plus side I find it's cheaper as most things are now convenience foods and I'm not cooking from scratch. I know other people can manage a cico diet way better than me but it's something I've never been very good at :(
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

That's not true.

I stand by that.

Yes. Nutrisystem has logs to fill out. I actually bought the scale to use while on NS and was active on the NS Boards. They also have counselors that you can call.

What kind of log? What kind of means were you using to get data to record your entries?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Age, genetics and dieting affect rmr (resting metabolic rate)
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.healthydietadvisor.com/resting-metabolic-rate/amp/

RMR doesn't matter for weight loss. TDEE is where it's at.

Also, dieting will of course decrease your RMR because you become a smaller person. Just like a smaller house uses less oil to heat, a smaller person has a lower RMR to function.

You really don't understand what you're talking about.

You did not damage your metabolism by losing 10 pounds or by eating a 1200 calorie diet. You were eating more than you thought.

You also have not packed on any appreciable muscle in the short time you've been lifting (are you lifting, the last I knew, you claimed to recomp through Zumba, which is impossible)... certainly not enough to affect your RMR. That is something that takes about a year or so of heavy lifting.

Frankly, what you're saying just doesn't add up.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but for the last 16 months I've lost 116 lbs eating around 50% of my calories in carb heavy foods like veggies and whole grains, including breads, potatoes, beans and such. 30% or so lean proteins including chicken, egg whites and fish, and 20% fat. I have occasional sugary treats if I really want them, and eat out a few times a month. I have tried to do this thing aiming for the long term, and I wouldn't last a week on super low carb. My bloodwork this week was phenomenal.