Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    _emma_78 wrote: »
    I don't care if people want to be happy with their body size as long as they realize being fat at 70 isn't the same as 30 or 40. I work in a hospital and if you are fat and make it to 70 chances are you are going to have to have a bed side commode (potty next to the bed) and have me wipe your butt because your little skeleton and joints aren't young anymore. People NEVER think about this. Basically this means you will end up in a nursing home with little independence.

I work in healthcare as well and see a great deal of very large people (requiring more manpower, equipment, $$$$ and time to treat) and plenty of older people (65yrs +).

Don't see that many obese older people though.

Wife and I were just talking about that. Very few obese over 70.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I don't care if people want to be happy with their body size as long as they realize being fat at 70 isn't the same as 30 or 40. I work in a hospital and if you are fat and make it to 70 chances are you are going to have to have a bed side commode (potty next to the bed) and have me wipe your butt because your little skeleton and joints aren't young anymore. People NEVER think about this. Basically this means you will end up in a nursing home with little independence.

I work in healthcare as well and see a great deal of very large people (requiring more manpower, equipment, $$$$ and time to treat) and plenty of older people (65yrs +).

Wife and I were just talking about that. Very few obese over 70.

Hmmm. I would assume that in the meta, the cost of one living to be 70+ would be notably higher than the expenses of dealing with the obese, and it just gets exponentially more expensive as they age. Though, I have to imagine what few morbidly obese elderly exist are probably a factor of ten worse than either demographic by itself.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you treat people like *kitten* because of (. . . . . ) you are a bad person. Period.

• Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this on a personal level. I think big people are beautiful! I think there are lots of big people out there who can kick my butt, lift more than me, outrun me, and swim harder than me. I think you can be healthy and big. But, I think without the mentality of always "being better" we throw ourselves down a rabbit hole of self-acceptance that encourages a host of unhealthy habits, from being overweight without also being healthy, to keeping a messy house, or being lackadaisical in faith.

I am reinventing myself every day. I think it's a good thing. I love believing I can always be a better me. When I told one of my best friends this, she burst into tears, she said "But I like you just the way you are" she has since taken a movement against "reinventing" oneself and thinks anyone who wants to change has a mental illness. Other friends are also against this. Mostly my friends who have always been thin. I have never been thin in my life, I've been overweight since I was a toddler, I was 180lbs at age 12. I was taught that no matter what you want to achieve you can ALWAYS do better.

So when I hear people supporting the fat acceptance movement, I say "you're right, they are great...but they, like you or me, can always be better"
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    walkjem wrote: »

Yesterday, my RN daughter had a 300+ pd 70 yo patient who is bedridden and can only move her arms. It took 2 nurses to roll her over to clean her butt. Daughter's back is sore as heck today. :(

I see this all the time as well - anyone working on the front lines of healthcare deals with this everyday as the system holds no consequences for bad behavior. The standard medical beds used for years have been decommissioned as they cannot support patients over 400 lbs. Recently a friend informed me that the body bags they order can rarely hold the deceased at his hospital and that they have to order horse body bags.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Yesterday, my RN daughter had a 300+ pd 70 yo patient who is bedridden and can only move her arms. It took 2 nurses to roll her over to clean her butt. Daughter's back is sore as heck today. :(

I see this all the time as well - anyone working on the front lines of healthcare deals with this everyday as the system holds no consequences for bad behavior. The standard medical beds used for years have been decommissioned as they cannot support patients over 400 lbs. Recently a friend informed me that the body bags they order can rarely hold the deceased at his hospital and that they have to order horse body bags.

*shudders* I do not ever want to be one of those people they need horse body bags for... :flushed:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

*shudders* I do not ever want to be one of those people they need horse body bags for... :flushed:

Not to mention the casket the size of a queen bed.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Thanks... now I'm picturing a horse in a queen-size bed being buried... Poor sods having to dig that grave...

Somewhat more on topic: I am a bit disgusted with myself that I was actually slowly reaching a weight were that was a real possibility. Does that mean I'm fat-shaming myself? oh the horror...
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Is there even such a thing as a horse body bag? I thought you just used the back hoe to bury them out in the back 40. Or sent them to the landfill or rendering plant, in which case a body bag seems an elaborate nicety.

Still, I wouldn't want to be zipped into a horse body bag upon my death (or rendered, for that matter).
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with it is, you are NOT healthy at any size. Both ways- to skinny is unhealthy and to fat is unhealthy. To skinny can give you reproduction issues, muscle and joint issues. To fat can give you heart issues, joint issues, diabetes, and high cholesterol.

However, shaming someone for being fat makes you an *kitten*, human decency is not limited by someone's size.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    The problem I have with it is, you are NOT healthy at any size. Both ways- to skinny is unhealthy and to fat is unhealthy. To skinny can give you reproduction issues, muscle and joint issues. To fat can give you heart issues, joint issues, diabetes, and high cholesterol.

However, shaming someone for being fat makes you an *kitten*, human decency is not limited by someone's size.

Exactly, its not okay to make fun of fat people and "shame" them. But being overweight and obese should NOT be shown as healthy in the media. It is terrible that they are showing "obesity is healthy and normal, some people are just big" because it skews the general perception of obesity. Many people nowadays say that people who are on the low end of healthy are "anorexic thin" and "way too thin". It was never this way back in the the day. But not that everyone is used to seeing so many obese and overweight it has become normal. THAT is the problem.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Fun story, though...

There is an old cemetery not far from where I live... historical, as it includes a group of people that came through this area and decided to stop here rather than continue onward with the rest of the group further west. It had become forgotten and over-run. At some point, a farmer bought the land and just moved the remaining stones and threw them in a well or something.

A local historical organization discovered this and decided to purchase the land and try to protect it. At some later point, a university was doing some research about the leader of the group that broke off. Now, keep in mind that this was a very long time ago and we didn't have the processed food available that we have today. There wasn't even a McDonald's back then. But the leader of the group that split off was fabled to have been extremely heavy. The stories were that it took a whole lot of men and horses / mules to move his body. So anyway, the university came out with ground-penetrating radar. The one grave whose occupant could be identified was where a coffin was 5 feet wide.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Fun story, though...

There is an old cemetery not far from where I live... historical, as it includes a group of people that came through this area and decided to stop here rather than continue onward with the rest of the group further west. It had become forgotten and over-run. At some point, a farmer bought the land and just moved the remaining stones and threw them in a well or something.

A local historical organization discovered this and decided to purchase the land and try to protect it. At some later point, a university was doing some research about the leader of the group that broke off. Now, keep in mind that this was a very long time ago and we didn't have the processed food available that we have today. There wasn't even a McDonald's back then. But the leader of the group that split off was fabled to have been extremely heavy. The stories were that it took a whole lot of men and horses / mules to move his body. So anyway, the university came out with ground-penetrating radar. The one grave whose occupant could be identified was where a coffin was 5 feet wide.

Wouldn't have been a post-presidency William Howard Taft, would it? ;)

Speaking of him, the anti-Taft propaganda back in the day focused so much on how hilariously fat he was, that I'm starting to wonder if he was the best president of all time. I mean, I get that it was an easy jab, but damn man, that's all they had on him?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Fun story, though...

Wouldn't have been a post-presidency William Howard Taft, would it? ;)

Speaking of him, the anti-Taft propaganda back in the day focused so much on how hilariously fat he was, that I'm starting to wonder if he was the best president of all time. I mean, I get that it was an easy jab, but damn man, that's all they had on him?

No, it isn't Taft. Taft is the only President who was also Chief Justice, and he had a ton of governance experience around the world before becoming President. Say what you will about his weight, but you can't question if he had the credentials to be President.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about body image issues (my own and society's in general) and I learned about something called the Fat Acceptance Movement. The Healthy at Any Size Movement is related to this as well. I am curious what people's thoughts on this are.

Personally I am of two minds about it. I have never been clinically overweight but I definitely flirted with the normal-overweight bmi boundary at one point. I have had body image issues since I was a teenager and three of my immediate family members have suffered from anorexia. So I know the toll that negative body image can have on a person. Everyone should love themselves regardless of their size. And fat-shaming should not be tolerated. However, I agree with a lot of the points made in this blog post "6 Things I Don't Understand About the Fat Acceptance Movement". At a certain point does it really demonstrate self-love to give up on weight loss? What are your thoughts?

http://thoughtcatalog.com/carolyn-hall/2014/04/6-things-i-dont-understand-about-the-fat-acceptance-movement/

I haven't read any of the replies, not even the first page so this reply is re: the OP only. I totally agree with the article. Maybe it's because I too come from a time before the internet was in every home. Before the obesity epidemic. Maybe it's because I have too many friends who are suffering the affects of obesity. Too many young obese or severely overweight friends and relatives.

All the points in the article are things I also wonder about often.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think you can be healthy and big. quote]

Discuss this with any medical professional. Unless someone is a special snowflake issues with overfat will, like the chickens, come home to roost.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this on a personal level. I think big people are beautiful! I think there are lots of big people out there who can kick my butt, lift more than me, outrun me, and swim harder than me. I think you can be healthy and big...

Be careful not to confuse "healthy" with "having some level of physical fitness". They're not the same thing.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »

Exactly, its not okay to make fun of fat people and "shame" them. But being overweight and obese should NOT be shown as healthy in the media. It is terrible that they are showing "obesity is healthy and normal, some people are just big" because it skews the general perception of obesity. Many people nowadays say that people who are on the low end of healthy are "anorexic thin" and "way too thin". It was never this way back in the the day. But not that everyone is used to seeing so many obese and overweight it has become normal. THAT is the problem.

Except that having a BMI <20 had been shown in many analysis to be strongly correlated with high rates of morbidity and mortality, been after controlling for preexisting illnesses. How high? Higher than "overweight" and "class 1" obesity. Slightly higher than"class 2" obesity. Moreover, outcomes have changed since the smoking rates have dropped.

Lumping "overweight" and all "obese" individuals together makes no statistical sense and less sense for people exhorting on the ills of too much weight.