Why do people still cough into their hands?

Options

Replies

• PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    Some people like me, our elbows dont reach out mouth, to cover a cough

Cough in to your shoulder. Cough in to a tissue. Cough in to your shirt sleeve.

How about I just don't cough at all, or get a tissue from you, I would hate to get what ever Im coughing out, on my sHirt sleeve

I would love to give you a tissue if you need one ;)

If that were the case, you could just do it for me.. lol while your at it, my left trap feels a bit tight, would you mind, a little rub, ... more to the left please.. B)
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    For some reason this makes me laugh hahaha :D

I mean, sure, I get what your saying but by all means, cough in your damn hands and not my face!

If they cough in their hands, or elbow, who cares ... all you should worry about is making sure YOU practice good hand hygiene! You'll be fine.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You should just assume that all surfaces are pretty germy and just take care of yourself and what your family does.
    How many people wash their hands right after blowing their noses into a tissue and handling it? How many kids put their fingers in their mouths or noses and touch things? How many people use their phone or tablet in the bathroom? Where someone coughs is just part of it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'll remember to cough in people's faces from now on. Silly me, using my hands, shoulders, and crooks of elbows.

Don't forget to hover over toilet seats, just in case.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Given that we know that germs and viruses are spread by contacting common surfaces with germ and virus carriers, why are people still coughing into their hands? At this stage of our scientific understanding how is it that people don't realize that coughing into your hands and then touching door knobs, fridge handles, elevator buttons, etc., is getting people sick? When I see people do that I feel like honestly wonder how in the hell this is person doesn't know better at this point, and yes, I judge them and blame the when I get sick or my kids get sick.

Coughing into the inside of your elbow prevents airborne infection, and since you aren't likely to use the inside of your elbow to open doors, fridges, push elevator buttons, etc., you reduce the likelihood of infecting others by touching common surfaces.

To answer your question, I will point you to the fact that most doctors don't wash hands between sick patients. Habit and human nature.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    I'd still much rather touch a germy doorknob instead of getting a snot spray in my face.

njqu0vvf27hy.jpg

Bless you
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Why do people drink too much?
    Why do they smoke?
    Why do they cheat in relationships?
    Why do they get overweight and cause themselves health issues?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    That's the way I was brought up. Force of embedded habit. When I remember I do it another way.

advice from a michael marra song for when you want to look Very Refined:

don't wipe your nose on the back of your hand
    use your sleeve like a civilized man

maybe the thinking is 'hands can be washed'? i'm an elbow person myself, but admittedly it's pretty hard to wash the crook of an elbow in an average workday.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Every time I cough....

revb0gpzstez.jpg
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I cough where ever the hell I want because nobodies going to tell me what I can do with my germs. I do what I want.

If the biggest upset of your day is the possible spread of germs, outside of another ebola breakout, you lead a pretty good life. Find something else to be angry about, you're not going to change everyone.

The last time my son got the flu his temperature skyrocketed and he became so dehydrated from throwing up for several hours that he spent the night in the ER. So yes, it is the "biggest upset of my day" to deal with the fallout of those who inexplicably lack the emotional maturity to practice basic personal hygiene.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I cough where ever the hell I want because nobodies going to tell me what I can do with my germs. I do what I want.

If the biggest upset of your day is the possible spread of germs, outside of another ebola breakout, you lead a pretty good life. Find something else to be angry about, you're not going to change everyone.

The last time my son got the flu his temperature skyrocketed and he became so dehydrated from throwing up for several hours that he spent the night in the ER. So yes, it is the "biggest upset of my day" to deal with the fallout of those who inexplicably lack the emotional maturity to practice basic personal hygiene.
    It depends a lot on the kind of food eaten at home and how much vitamins are injected into the diet by diligent parents. Germs are everywhere.

Wow. There are a lot of people who are immunosuppressed from medication which has nothing to do with diet. Yes germs are everywhere but that doesn't make it ok to purposely spread more.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    We need more germs to weed out the weak. But seriously, a guy in my building poops then doesn't wash his hands. This is why I always use a paper towel to exit bathrooms where you have to pull the door open to exit. I'd so much rather push out to exit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

It depends a lot on the kind of food eaten at home and how much vitamins are injected into the diet by diligent parents. Germs are everywhere.

Wow. There are a lot of people who are immunosuppressed from medication which has nothing to do with diet. Yes germs are everywhere but that doesn't make it ok to purposely spread more.

amen to that! :)
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I usually find a clear space in the air and cough buttt my coughing is usually caused by my cigarette smoking and asthma so the thing is when I sneeze I do that

which brings to another thing... isn't sneezing worse than coughing?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    That's the way I was brought up. Force of embedded habit. When I remember I do it another way.

advice from a michael marra song for when you want to look Very Refined:

don't wipe your nose on the back of your hand
    use your sleeve like a civilized man

maybe the thinking is 'hands can be washed'? i'm an elbow person myself, but admittedly it's pretty hard to wash the crook of an elbow in an average workday.

You don't use the crook of your elbow for anything, that is the point. You don't open doors or turn on/off the faucet with your elbow. You don't shake elbows when you meet someone. The crook of your elbow could be the vilest, most germ and virus infested surface on the face of the earth, but since you don't rub your elbow (I assume) on other people, it is preferable to collect germs and viruses here rather than your hands.
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Coughing into your elbow- cross your arms, bam on your hands. Just sneeze or cough on a way which doesn't mean you're coughing over people.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    edena001 wrote: »
    Coughing into your elbow- cross your arms, bam on your hands. Just sneeze or cough on a way which doesn't mean you're coughing over people.

Also carrying items, in your arms! Someone might touch, that edge of a book; that was in my cough/sneeze area of my elbow!

OP I am all for being polite/sanitary but as you're able to figure here, even people using their elbows; could get someone else sick & whom wouldn't have gotten sick otherwise & this is why, you have no right to impose; to whom someone should put at risk for becoming sick because eventually someone'll become sick, just by them attempting; not to make someone else sick! Plus there's been times when my arm's have been full and/or a cough/sneeze was just so instantaneous, that there was no ability; to even try to contain it!

As someone whom's become permanently disabled, via a severe flu, it's no 1 else's responsibility but our own, to ensure that we prevent ourselves and/or anyone that we're responsible for, from becoming sick. From some of the sarcastic responses here alone, I am certain that complaining'll just cause some to purposely; expose others to such germs! So you've actually encouraged, the opposite of your intentions; by stirring anger because of not minding, your own business! If we make people sick of us, they aren't going to care enough to try; to prevent us from becoming sick're they? Anyone whom shouldn't/won't be vaccinated (including myself) have other options of our own, to choose to ensure our health; like wearing masks & gloves! It's our responsibility, to exhaust all of our personal options & never to put a responsibility on others, to give a damn about us! None of us're that special, regardless of our individual delicacy!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Also I totally sneezed into my hand this morning because sneezes sneak up on me and putting your hands up is just a reflex. Also I used hand sanitizer afterwards.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Option:

lde1w1hhjcwb.jpg
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Weird - usually I sneeze into the 'under layer' of my shirts/jackets/sweaters. Essentially sneezing into my chest/collarbone and using the clothing layers to cover my sneeze/cough. That's what I've always done, never the hand, but also - I really don't care about germs at all...