ramen?

is it safe to have instant noodles/ramen once a day when coming off a crash diet?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm not sure how eating ramen noodles could harm you. What, specifically, are you afraid of?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Safe? In what way?
  • aimanbafakyh
    aimanbafakyh Posts: 34 Member
    it is easier to gain weight when coming off a crash diet so is it safe to eat it once a day?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Crash diet?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Crash diet?

Yes op lost 20 lbs doing a vlcd so she is now eating 1000 and upping 100 a week I believe.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Crash diet?

Yes op lost 20 lbs doing a vlcd so she is now eating 1000 and upping 100 a week I believe.

Op, is this a mental issue in regards to your intake of calories? Ramen is good especially if you add some protein and vegetables.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Personally, I wouldn't eat the crap. Too many decent carb sources out there that actually have some micro value. That being said, it's not going to make you fat unless you eat too much of it, but anything will do that. Just keep it in your kcals, and remember, the flavor packets in the stuff have a lot of sodium in them, so you could see some water retention if your weren't supplementing sodium during your vlcd.

That being said, you're probably going to see a fair amount of water weight anyway, assuming that your vlcd wasn't all carbs.
  • janejellyroll
    it is easier to gain weight when coming off a crash diet so is it safe to eat it once a day?

If you're coming off a medically supervised VLCD, you should talk to your medical team and get their recommendations on what you should eat coming off the diet.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

If you're coming off a medically supervised VLCD, you should talk to your medical team and get their recommendations on what you should eat coming off the diet.

Not medically supervised. Crash diet
  • janejellyroll

Not medically supervised. Crash diet

Ah, I see. Thank you.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited November 2016
    Ramen while tasty is probably not the best choice for healthy eating since it is essentially white flour. Having said that it is no better or worse than any other carb as far as weight gain is concerned. A calorie is a calorie. If you are going to indulge, count the calories and log them. I occasionally eat things that aren't necessarily the healthiest but once in a while it is okay to eat some comfort food. For optimum health while cutting calories you need to try to get more nutrient dense foods in when you can; find some things you like that are healthier. I've lost 65 pounds and found the only way this works for me is that I have to find things to eat in a way I can maintain for the rest of my life which is why crash dieting never worked for me. I've been on this now since January and I feel like I can go on forever if necessary (I still have 32 pounds to lose). Having said all that I have changed what I eat slowly but surely to include things that are healthier and the comfort food consumption has slowed down alot. Nonetheless there are times when a piece of white bread or egg noodles slip in. Good luck, you can do this.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Maybe add an egg and a handful of spinach to it. Kind of like egg drop soup.
  • Buy real ramen noodles and you should be fine. They sell them at Whole Foods, the typical ramen noodle packets have 0 nutritional value. Opt out of the seasoning packet if you must use the noodles and use bone broth or veggie broth
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    is it safe to have instant noodles/ramen once a day when coming off a crash diet?

If you're doing a crash diet I'd say you saved money and should buy something healthy to eat............ Ramen is junk food... deep fried, freeze dried noodles..... salt....... MSG or whatever

Its not good for you ?

I eat it occasionally cuz I effin luv it
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Ramen, in my opinion is for poor people who are starving and need loads of calories on a budget. The serving size is 1/2 the bag, (who eats half a bag of ramen,)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    cosmonew wrote: »
    Ramen, in my opinion is for poor people who are starving and need loads of calories on a budget. The serving size is 1/2 the bag, (who eats half a bag of ramen,)

As someone who tried to live on Ramen for a month (because poor), I can assure you that it's not even good for that. After the first week, I'd throw up about 60% of it that I tried to eat.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    cosmonew wrote: »

I LOVE ramen, lol. Especially when I dress it up how I like it, drop an egg in it, or some leftover chicken, or some cheese or something, maybe replace the seasoning pack with my own spices. I tend to make two servings out of it about 70% of the time. Because calories and sodium.