Never Been to Tim Hortons

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The Canadians I know all hate Tim Hortons with a fiery passion.

You don't know a lot of Canadians! :p

You said what I was thinking! Just about every single (I'm Canadian) person I know has a Timmies every now and then, if not every day

Of course you have those who don't like it but those who don't like that and actually like Starbucks are just snobs then. Starbucks' coffee is worse than TH but costs more and if you want "real" coffee you will go to an independent roster anyway.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I don't live near any Tim Hortons but I'll be going on a trip with my school to New York City and the initiatory has it listed as a dinner stop around 6 pm. I heard they have really good donuts but do they even have them available this late? What kind of things does Tim Hortons carry at this time (can you order breakfast all day)? I'm going to try and log if I can, so any suggestions on what's delicious and/or what's healthy would be greatly appreciated! Anyone here a Tim Hortons regular? What do you normally order? Do all locations carry the same stuff? I looked at the menu online but was surprised by how small the lunch menu looked (assuming 6pm is still considered lunch time). Do you think they'll be sold out of a lot of things by this time?
    I'm honestly surprised of all placed to eat dinner in New York City they chose Tim Hortons, so I really want to make the most of it! haha

TIM HORTONS IS THE WORST!!! I don't understand why they are so popular. Their food is not that amazing and their coffee is the worst I've ever tasted. The only reason people like it is because they use really heavy cream in everything.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I highly prefer dunkin donuts to tim hortons.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I highly prefer dunkin donuts to tim hortons.
    For donuts, yes, definitely (and I prefer local bakeries to either of them).
  • rakowskidp
    Options
    Starbucks' coffee is worse than TH but costs more and if you want "real" coffee you will go to an independent roster anyway.
    Yes! my favorite is a little Italian coffee house just a few miles from my house. I have to go out of my way to get there and pass a lot of Tim Horton and Dunkin-type places on the way, but it's so worth it.

• rakowskidp
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've had a Tim Hortons French Vanilla Cappuccino almost every single day for the last 10 years...ISYN! But I log them (300 cals for a medium!)
    I've had those, too. I admit, they're not half bad!

• MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    They'll definitely have doughnuts at 6pm, but they also make delicious sandwiches which I find more satisfying than a burger. My only problem with Timmie's is that it smells like coffee, but it's a coffee shop, so there's nothing I can do about it except stick with the drive thru.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    The Canadians I know all hate Tim Hortons with a fiery passion.

You don't know a lot of Canadians! :p

You said what I was thinking! Just about every single (I'm Canadian) person I know has a Timmies every now and then, if not every day

Of course you have those who don't like it but those who don't like that and actually like Starbucks are just snobs then. Starbucks' coffee is worse than TH but costs more and if you want "real" coffee you will go to an independent roster anyway.

Agreed. At least Tim Horton's doesn't burn the beans.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I like their crullers.

+1

Absolutely!!! :):)

I travel clear across the ocean for those crullers ...

... and to see my family, of course.

One of the things I like about the Tim Hortons donuts is that they aren't so sickly sweet as places like Krispy Kreme or as greasy as places like Duncan Donuts. They're nice. :)

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The coffee is ok.. I do like the donuts and timbits since I'm not a big fan of really soft or fancy donuts. Sandwiches and wraps are pretty good. They are everywhere around here (I live just outside Toronto)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Sadly, here in Australia, the donuts are just bad. The best we've got are Krispy Kreme's at the airports, which are marginally better, but they certainly do not measure up to Tim Hortons.

I've always found Krispy Kreme to be highly overrated. I mean, sure, fresh donuts are nice - but I don't find KK donuts to be particularly good. They're not bad - just kinda middling.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't live near any Tim Hortons but I'll be going on a trip with my school to New York City and the initiatory has it listed as a dinner stop around 6 pm. I heard they have really good donuts but do they even have them available this late? What kind of things does Tim Hortons carry at this time (can you order breakfast all day)? I'm going to try and log if I can, so any suggestions on what's delicious and/or what's healthy would be greatly appreciated! Anyone here a Tim Hortons regular? What do you normally order? Do all locations carry the same stuff? I looked at the menu online but was surprised by how small the lunch menu looked (assuming 6pm is still considered lunch time). Do you think they'll be sold out of a lot of things by this time?
    I'm honestly surprised of all placed to eat dinner in New York City they chose Tim Hortons, so I really want to make the most of it! haha

TIM HORTONS IS THE WORST!!! I don't understand why they are so popular. Their food is not that amazing and their coffee is the worst I've ever tasted. The only reason people like it is because they use really heavy cream in everything.

I'd say McDonald's coffee is worse - no matte what brand they're using, it always tastes burnt. That said, I don't like TH, either.
  • Machka9
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I'd say McDonald's coffee is worse - no matte what brand they're using, it always tastes burnt. That said, I don't like TH, either.

The last coffee I had at McDonald's was almost clear and tasted like hot water with about 4 grains of instant coffee mixed in. It was probably the weakest "coffee" I've ever had.

Reminded me why I don't get McDonald's coffees.

• Machka9
    Options
    Sadly, here in Australia, the donuts are just bad. The best we've got are Krispy Kreme's at the airports, which are marginally better, but they certainly do not measure up to Tim Hortons.

I've always found Krispy Kreme to be highly overrated. I mean, sure, fresh donuts are nice - but I don't find KK donuts to be particularly good. They're not bad - just kinda middling.

No, they're not good. I can't even imagine that they're fresh because they sure don't taste very fresh. They taste like someone made the sweetest icing possible and rolled it into a ball, flattened it a bit, and called it a donut. Then let it sit for several days before serving.

Great if you need a massive sugar hit ...

That said, we do get some when we're at the Melbourne airport sometimes ... but I'm pretty selective about the ones I choose. I try to go with the ones that look like they won't spike my blood sugar level too much.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

The last coffee I had at McDonald's was almost clear and tasted like hot water with about 4 grains of instant coffee mixed in. It was probably the weakest "coffee" I've ever had.

Reminded me why I don't get McDonald's coffees.

True story, back when McDonald's used nuclear reactors to heat their coffee I was driving to Toronto from London (Ontario), which is about 2 hours away. It was -20C that day and my friend who got the coffee (it was black btw) let it sit for about an hour and when he took off the lid it steamed up the windows!

That was damn hot coffee!
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hanging head in *shame* but I have to admit I'm a die-hard Tims coffee drinker (2x a day fo sho).

For an actual substantial-ish meal I'd go with the chili. For a treat -- definitely a honey crueller or birthday cake timbit(s) :smiley:
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I keep hoping this thread is going to be like Never Seen Star Wars, but as it isn't I'll just say that Tim Hortons is apparently coming to the UK next year.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Operating a Tim's franchise in Canada is like having a licence to print money. In urban and suburban areas there is usually one on every corner. I wish I owned one. A small town may have only one or two, but often become the central station for meet ups.

Tim's are always busy with constant lineups and have regular loyal customers who drop in on their way to work for their morning coffee. It's a quick and cheap option for food and drinks. It's affordable for everyone. Starbucks not so much. You can get "healthier" options if you choose.

Yes, there are some who say they hate Tims. Much like those who say they hate McDonalds or whatever other fast food place. But the fact is, Tim's is the largest grossing fast food restaurant chain in Canada by far and they are expanding every year. They have a huge fan base.

If you have the cash and time then going somewhere else to eat in NYC is a nice option. Probably worth it in my opinion. But if it's just a quick pit stop - Tim's is great. Unless you're a vegan. Then it's not so great.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Skipjack66 wrote: »
    Operating a Tim's franchise in Canada is like having a licence to print money. In urban and suburban areas there is usually one on every corner. I wish I owned one. A small town may have only one or two, but often become the central station for meet ups.

Tim's are always busy with constant lineups and have regular loyal customers who drop in on their way to work for their morning coffee. It's a quick and cheap option for food and drinks. It's affordable for everyone. Starbucks not so much. You can get "healthier" options if you choose.

Yes, there are some who say they hate Tims. Much like those who say they hate McDonalds or whatever other fast food place. But the fact is, Tim's is the largest grossing fast food restaurant chain in Canada by far and they are expanding every year. They have a huge fan base.

If you have the cash and time then going somewhere else to eat in NYC is a nice option. Probably worth it in my opinion. But if it's just a quick pit stop - Tim's is great. Unless you're a vegan. Then it's not so great.

In my home town there were actually 3 in one intersection! They have since closed one. I know a few people that own them and they definitely make money.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Back to the topic of eating in NYC at night.

Do you really want to eat anything other than the best pizza you ever put in your mouth? Patsy's in East Harlem is so good it almost hurts to eat it. Sit down, go to Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge or to the one on 20th and 6th Ave. Or Joe's or Lombardi's. You get the idea. Eat ALL the pizza. And bagels, and deli sandwiches. And hot dogs at Gray's. There is one on 72d and Broadway by the Museum, and another on 8th and 6th Ave.

If these places aren't on your list of where to eat in NYC, they're doing it wrong.