Mother Sacrificing Themselves for Family, Dads Say "Ok", I'm going to the Gym

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    If you want something, you must first ask instead of assuming it's not available to you.

i'm not sure it can just be assumed that anyone who's not getting hasn't asked. of the women who express this problem, it's probably safer to assume that at least some proportion of them have asked. repeatedly. and it's a guess on my part, but i think a lot of men give themselves more credit for their intentions than they do for their follow-through.

so there's a gap. you can't unilaterally change something that is inherently reliant on two people's behaviour.
    Overall, if you want a partner who is not selfish or doesn't pull his/her share, don't marry or partner up with one. That's the kind of thing you are supposed to talk about and look for before you commit to each other.

i've been single for most of my life, so i've seen a fair bit of that pre-commitment behaviour. almost everyone puts their best face forward while they're still motivated to make the 'right' impressions; it's just an inbuilt reflex. it actually takes a bit of concentration and willpower not to do it. plus, i strongly believe there are things people don't even find out about themselves relating to partnership until they're actually in the partnership and finding out at first hand.

i think people revert to their 'real' selves once the commitment is taken care of. it's good and bad - there are things about it which are actually positives. but i do think their behaviour changes. who they are maybe doesn't, but which facets of themselves they make visible do.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Working moms are the ones who struggle to put themselves first. Their husbands seem to know how to stop off and get a drink with his buddies before he gets home. So did she pick a bad husband?

No, not necessarily. But if she asked him to come home right after work so she could go out for a few hours a grab a beer with her friends and he doesn't come home anyway? Then yes, the marriage and communication needs some work. I'm a wife, mother of two young girls, and I work full time. My husband and I worked out a gym schedule so that we could both go (yes, I get one more day at the gym than him because I'm selfish). But I had to bring it up as an issue and we had to work it out.

ETA: so not everybody jumps on my calling myself "selfish," that was tongue-in-cheek, which doesn't come across well in writing.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    If you want something, you must first ask instead of assuming it's not available to you. Want gym time? Ask the partner to cover at home. Want a treadmill for the home ask how we can work it in the budget. Want an equal partnership, ask yourself if you're worth it or is playing the martyr roll is a familiar comfort.

Dear God I love this! Be direct in communication.

My wife and I struggled through this for years and it got worse after having kids. She is a highly educated, physically fit, and independent woman, but struggled with this for years as she could not say no and would constantly sacrifice everything to keep up appearances - girl scouts, bake sales, school fundraisers, etc.

Take care of yourself first or you will have nothing left to give others. This isn't selfish, its logic. Your cup has have something in it before you can pour it into another.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just found out that when her husband says his going to the gym he actually meant he's going round to his co worker's house for sex as he has been for the last 6 months leaving her holding the baby!!!

Well, he IS getting a workout... :neutral:
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    If you want something, you must first ask instead of assuming it's not available to you. Want gym time? Ask the partner to cover at home. Want a treadmill for the home ask how we can work it in the budget. Want an equal partnership, ask yourself if you're worth it or is playing the martyr roll is a familiar comfort.

But that's the point....the male partners I'm referencing DON'T ask, they just tell their partner what they are gonna do, or don't even bother doing that. I don't mind asking, or even telling, but then nag or a the "b" word gets mentioned.... :neutral:
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    If you want something, you must first ask instead of assuming it's not available to you.

i'm not sure it can just be assumed that anyone who's not getting hasn't asked. of the women who express this problem, it's probably safer to assume that at least some proportion of them have asked. repeatedly. and it's a guess on my part, but i think a lot of men give themselves more credit for their intentions than they do for their follow-through.

so there's a gap. you can't unilaterally change something that is inherently reliant on two people's behaviour.
    Overall, if you want a partner who is not selfish or doesn't pull his/her share, don't marry or partner up with one. That's the kind of thing you are supposed to talk about and look for before you commit to each other.

i've been single for most of my life, so i've seen a fair bit of that pre-commitment behaviour. almost everyone puts their best face forward while they're still motivated to make the 'right' impressions; it's just an inbuilt reflex. it actually takes a bit of concentration and willpower not to do it. plus, i strongly believe there are things people don't even find out about themselves relating to partnership until they're actually in the partnership and finding out at first hand.

i think people revert to their 'real' selves once the commitment is taken care of. it's good and bad - there are things about it which are actually positives. but i do think their behaviour changes. who they are maybe doesn't, but which facets of themselves they make visible do.

The point is moot. If a mother is dependent on a husband to provide child care or else she can't take care of herself, then a single mother is absolutely doomed. One need to only look around this site to know thats not true.

-- Restricting food intake does not require a partner
    -- Going for walks/jogs with your child does not require a partner
    -- Doing body weight circuits in the living room while baby naps does not require a partner

Thats only assuming you don't want to spend a dime and set up a home gym with equipment or join a gym that provides child care while you work out.

So, the working mom needs to pick up the kid from child care, get home, feed said kid, help with homework, do the odd chore like cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry, then she is suppose to have time to do these exercises at home? Oh, wait, let's have her do them in the morning before everyone is up unless said husband gets up in time to feed the kids up, feed, dressed and take to childcare, or school...I have yet to hear of this happening....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

But that's the point....the male partners I'm referencing DON'T ask, they just tell their partner what they are gonna do, or don't even bother doing that. I don't mind asking, or even telling, but then nag or a the "b" word gets mentioned.... :neutral:

So don't nag. Just do. When he's home simply say "I'm going to the gym" hop in the car and go. Don't give him a chance to complain.
  • mysteps2beauty
    edited November 2016
    Options

The point is moot. If a mother is dependent on a husband to provide child care or else she can't take care of herself, then a single mother is absolutely doomed. One need to only look around this site to know thats not true.

-- Doing body weight circuits in the living room while baby naps does not require a partner

Thats only assuming you don't want to spend a dime and set up a home gym with equipment or join a gym that provides child care while you work out.

So, the working mom needs to pick up the kid from child care, get home, feed said kid, help with homework, do the odd chore like cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry, then she is suppose to have time to do these exercises at home? Oh, wait, let's have her do them in the morning before everyone is up unless said husband gets up in time to feed the kids up, feed, dressed and take to childcare, or school...I have yet to hear of this happening....

That's because people with healthy relationships and smoothly-running households don't get on the internet to gripe about how their husbands suck and they have no time for themselves.

But I'm not married, nor in a relationship...thank goodness...just an observation of the people around me, but thanks, I am feeling kind of gripey...goes with the territory...glad you are doing very well for yourself....not everybody is as lucky as you two (and your profile suggests you don't have any kids either.)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If mothers are "sacrificing themselves for family," I wonder what the point of having the family was?
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    If mothers are "sacrificing themselves for family," I wonder what the point of having the family was?

That's just it....the parents (mom and dad) are to sacrifice for their family. Just an observation that what each parent thinks sacrifice is....for instance, some men seem to think taking care of their kid(s) is babysitting...
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Assuming it is a single mom or a mom with a complete deadbeat husband, yes, working moms can and many do still take care of themselves.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Meh...my wife and I split time. I'm at home in the evenings on Mondays and Wednesdays with the kids...I get them fed and bathed and I cook our dinner while she is at the gym. She gets home and gives them a story and tucks them in. We swap out Tuesdays and Thursdays when I go to the gym...she usually runs on her lunch breaks at work and I cycle...she usually does a long run on Saturday and I do a long ride on Sunday...we've worked out a schedule...we know lots of couples who somehow manage to take care of their families and their health and fitness...I'd say most of our peers...I don't know who you are observing exactly.

I don't know a single one of my peers who would just stop off and have a beer without communicating this...same for going to the gym or whatever...again, I don't know who the heck you are observing but I don't think it's very representative of real life, healthy and happy couples.