How to not overeat in a world full of slobs

Options
So, some background: I am a teenage girl who has always been interested in weight loss, especially seeing as I have always struggled with it. I exercise fairly actively, likely not enough (run to school every other morning, usually do some exercise before bed, go on regular long walks, etc) but despite this, I have always struggled to get fit and healthy.

Now, mind you, I am by no means overly obese: I'm 5'5 at around 135lbs, and I usually have energy and the ability to do things. I just really want to get healthy, not only just to be healthy, but I could really use the self esteem boost.

Problem is, I work at a McDonald's practically across the street where I live, and even the "healthier" options are packed full of sugars and carbs and calories that nobody needs. I don't make enough, either, to be buying my own groceries for myself and my family, which would be useless anyways, being as they hardly have any idea of healthy food. Most of the garbage to eat is all chips and brownies and cookies and bread, which REALLY sucks when you're trying to eat healthy.

So, I guess my question is, how do I manage to be healthier and not eat the garbage at our house while also not depriving myself of anything to eat?

Replies

• edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you're only trying to be healthy and eat 'cleaner' foods then simply start to add things into your shopping list. Suggest your parents buy skim milk instead of full fat, ask them to pick up some more fruit and veg, they're not going to say no to that. So just slowly add in healthier foods that you can make quick lunches out of instead of processed food.
    Offer to cook for the family, that way you can control what food and what goes into cooking it. But as you don't need to lose weight, just get healthy then I'd suggest don't eat at McDonald's, anything you make at home will be better than that, even if you think it's high calorie. Try walking more, to school yeah sure it adds up but it's not much, take the long route home, try get a job dog walking.
    Enter into a 5K and train for it. All these things just to help you get fit, it's more in the actual exercise than eating anyway.
    As they say a lot on here, you lose weight in the kitchen, you get fit at the gym!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    How many servings of fruits and vegetables do you get in each day? How much protein are you eating currently? Do you do any strength training? I'm assuming those are the kinds of things you are hoping to improve upon. 5'5" 135 is definitely normal weight but I am 5'6" and 137 and still have work to do, so I get it. I'm as apple-y as they come, so I will need to continue trying to build muscle and lose fat, perhaps it's the same for you.

Before MFP and calorie counting, one of the ways I dieted was by including a fruit or vegetable with every meal or snack, no exceptions. All that extra fibre was enough to help me lose without going hungry. Is there normally fruits/veggies in your fridge, freezer or pantry?

ETA: I focus more now on getting enough protein and just staying within my calorie goals. That works too.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    And if you want to get fit I'd look into lifting.
  • Intentional_Me
    Options
    You do realize that most people here are former slobs right? :D

Uh ya, you're weight is fabulous.

Anyways, you could focus on hitting your macros ( protein, carbs, fat) & still fit in treats if that appeals to you

Can confirm, used to be fat and sloppy. Now just fat by my own ridiculous standards.

If it makes you feel better I'm still totally in slob status. 70 pounds down and more to lose! Ha
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

So, I guess my question is, how do I manage to be healthier and not eat the garbage at our house while also not depriving myself of anything to eat?

I went in a McDonald's today to have coffee with a friend. I ordered a black coffee and a small side salad with Italian dressing. While I was waiting for my food, I looked at the people who worked there and the people in line and only saw one person at a normal weight -- who was a child. Everybody else was overweight.

If it were me, I would find a job somewhere else. I wouldn't be able to work at McD's without eating the food and would end up weighing 900 pounds. Maybe you have more willpower than I do.

Here's my suggestion. Meal plan. Eat stuff that is nutritious and filling before you eat anything else -- make a contract with yourself. For example, oatmeal for breakfast. Include vegetables with a protein for your other meals.

If you eat that food first, and track your calories, then eat whatever else you want -- French fries or whatever it might be if you have the calories.

• Intentional_Me
    Options
    You do realize that most people here are former slobs right? :D

Uh ya, you're weight is fabulous.

Anyways, you could focus on hitting your macros ( protein, carbs, fat) & still fit in treats if that appeals to you

Can confirm, used to be fat and sloppy. Now just fat by my own ridiculous standards.

If it makes you feel better I'm still totally in slob status. 70 pounds down and more to lose! Ha

To be fair, I think most of us fall into the "could always lose more fat" category, even those like myself, who are technically a healthy weight. I'll consider easing up in the bulk/cut cycles when the veins in my abs have veins on their abs.

I like your attitude .
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'll +1 those who are pointing out that mcds has decent options these days and there is no reason you can't pick things that fit your goals.

Volunteering to help out with food shopping and preparation at home is also a great idea. It helps your parents out and gives you more say in the food supply.

The main thing is to track your intake accurately (invest in a food scale - not super expensive at all). I'd also advise you to incorporate some strength training (you are in prime bone and muscle building years, take advantage!). With your stats, yes you are a normal weight for your height, but being young and female (presumably), you likely have a small to medium build - it's perfectly possible that you could be on the lower end of "normal" to look your best. I'm 5'7", female, and a 36 year old mother of four, and 135-145 is about perfect for me, so I "get" why you, being a couple inches shorter, might want to drop a few (that said, I'm assuming when you say "teenaged" you mean 18-19; otherwise you are on the wrong site).

Your ultimate question strikes me odd tho - you want to know how to not eat the foods you normally eat without depriving yourself of the foods you or normally eat? I will say that you don't necessarily have to give up any of the foods you normally eat. You might have to eat some things less often, and you will probably have to take smaller portions than you are used to (and you may decide some things just aren't worth it and cut them out altogether), but you can still have chips and desserts and bread (and mcds) and lose weight, so long as you're in a calorie deficit.