One meal a day and fasting for 20 hours

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You are implementing some form of intermittent fasting which is used by quite a few people here. A 20 hour fast is great, if it helps you stick to your daily goal.
  • rinigirl76
    rinigirl76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1000-1200 calories .. have my 4 hour window open at 2:40 pm
  • rinigirl76
    Options
    never been able to lose weight eating 3 meals. .this is a awesome way!!!! love it! I can have Thanksgiving Dinner and all the holiday dinner because my family eats in the afternoon for holidays!
  • rinigirl76
    Options
    protein bar has automatic 20 grams of protein and 200 cals. .then meat and cheese .. will get me all my protein!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    rinigirl76 wrote: »
    never been able to lose weight eating 3 meals. .this is a awesome way!!!! love it! I can have Thanksgiving Dinner and all the holiday dinner because my family eats in the afternoon for holidays!

Me too!
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 sometimes 20:4. 10 ounces of chicken alone is 60 gm of protein. It's really not too hard to hit what you need.
  • rinigirl76
    edited November 2016
    Options
    right.. so protein is achievable .. unlike bad carbs 3 ho's ho's from Hostess are 54 carbs.. I could eat those in about 3 minutes alone..lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 sometimes 20:4. 10 ounces of chicken alone is 60 gm of protein. It's really not too hard to hit what you need.

That's why I said "personally". For someone who feels half a chicken breast is already bordering on too much, 10 ounces of chicken is way more than I'm ever willing to eat in one setting, let alone 15-20 ounces. It would come right out. Kudos to those who can!
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I work an odd shift 1-9 and not hungry in the mornings (just drink 1 cup of black coffee) I started doing 16:8,,my window of eating is 11-7...I eat a nice lunch before work, a small snack, and then my dinner around 6..I have lost 5 lbs without much effort. It has kept me from my late night snacking especially. On my days off I continue with this plan and it really works for me. There is a lot of information out there as IF plans have really gotten popular, I love it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,957 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    There is a pretty active Group here on MFP that has info and ideas and discussion about this.

OneMealADay Revolution. Here's the link to read and/or join:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/20634-omad-revolution

*edit to add (once I actually read the OP, she's doing more like Intermittent Fasting, which is how I've eaten for years.)

Oh well, I've been wrong before. I'm leaving the link. There are several IF Groups too. Someone else can worry about those links :lol:
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I've been doing 16 hours of fasting with an 8 hour window of eating every day. I can't see myself ever fasting for a day or longer periods of time.... but there are several fasting patters or i.e.: eating patters going on out there.

For the past two weeks.. I've been simply skipping breakfast and eating from 12:30- 8:30 ... It has been interesting... a few observations..

once I eat. I have no cravings.. I eat less..I've actually naturally cut portions in half and leave food on the plate when I never ever did that before in my life. This eating breakfast nonsense to keep from binging later is actually all wrong.. eating breakfast just keeps me thinking and wanting food all day long.

- exercise. I did it on the last hour of my fast..expecting to most likely feel faint and weak. Nope..totally absolutely fine...when before when I ate all day.. I had regular trouble with maintaining my blood sugar during hour long cardio workouts.

It is pretty bizarre .. and great.. it isn't magic... some think they can stuff their faces during the eating window.. but I don't do that.. and yes.. i can tell i'm losing weight.
    I find the same thing. When I eat a couple hundred calories every few hours I'm always looking for the next meal and constantly hungry. With 2 meals a day I'm not craving and I can stay within my deficit.

This is exactly how I felt too. I was eating three smaller meals and three snacks....never ever felt full and was thinking about food all day long. I would tailor my day so I could eat right up until bedtime and I would wake up starving. I never stopped being hungry!

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I eat 1-2 snacks (usually pre-workout high fiber muffin and dessert after supper with 1 meal (supper) from 4:30pm -10:30pm, but I do have half-half in my coffee when I wake up so that could be breaking my fast sooner.
    What are your stats (height, current weight, goal weight, age, activity level not counting exercise)? What about exercise? You may be shooting too low calorie wise.

Why do you stop eating at 6:40? Do you go to bed at 7 or do you have sleep disturbances/reflux if you eat too close to bed time?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I've been doing 16 hours of fasting with an 8 hour window of eating every day. I can't see myself ever fasting for a day or longer periods of time.... but there are several fasting patters or i.e.: eating patters going on out there.

For the past two weeks.. I've been simply skipping breakfast and eating from 12:30- 8:30 ... It has been interesting... a few observations..

once I eat. I have no cravings.. I eat less..I've actually naturally cut portions in half and leave food on the plate when I never ever did that before in my life. This eating breakfast nonsense to keep from binging later is actually all wrong.. eating breakfast just keeps me thinking and wanting food all day long.

- exercise. I did it on the last hour of my fast..expecting to most likely feel faint and weak. Nope..totally absolutely fine...when before when I ate all day.. I had regular trouble with maintaining my blood sugar during hour long cardio workouts.

It is pretty bizarre .. and great.. it isn't magic... some think they can stuff their faces during the eating window.. but I don't do that.. and yes.. i can tell i'm losing weight.
    I find the same thing. When I eat a couple hundred calories every few hours I'm always looking for the next meal and constantly hungry. With 2 meals a day I'm not craving and I can stay within my deficit.

This is exactly how I felt too. I was eating three smaller meals and three snacks....never ever felt full and was thinking about food all day long. I would tailor my day so I could eat right up until bedtime and I would wake up starving. I never stopped being hungry!

I never even tried to do this; I knew it wouldn't work for me and would drive me crazy. But some like it, so people are different.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, you do you. I just hope it's sustainable for life.

I like food, I like eating. I do it every day, and I eat things I like. You could call over 100lbs "shrinking", too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 hour window, but I tend to graze during it, and generally eat 4-5 smallish meals/snacks during that time. I only do the big meal thing on holidays.
  • rinigirl76
    Options
    I eat 1-2 snacks (usually pre-workout high fiber muffin and dessert after supper with 1 meal (supper) from 4:30pm -10:30pm, but I do have half-half in my coffee when I wake up so that could be breaking my fast sooner.
    What are your stats (height, current weight, goal weight, age, activity level not counting exercise)? What about exercise? You may be shooting too low calorie wise.

Why do you stop eating at 6:40? Do you go to bed at 7 or do you have sleep disturbances/reflux if you eat too close to bed time?

I got to bed around 10 pm ..

I exercise and walk about 10,000 steps a day.. its just at 1000-1200 calories because.. My fitness pal is saying I need that now to lose weight.. I am 5'4 222lbs.

no trouble sleeping I wake up around 1 am usually to go tinkle and sleep straight to 6am during the week.. this is the first weekend (sleeping in till 8am hopefully) I am doing the OMAD.. so lord help me ! no breakfast and no panda express for lunch :neutral:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I got to bed around 10 pm ..

I exercise and walk about 10,000 steps a day.. its just at 1000-1200 calories because.. My fitness pal is saying I need that now to lose weight.. I am 5'4 222lbs.

no trouble sleeping I wake up around 1 am usually to go tinkle and sleep straight to 6am during the week.. this is the first weekend (sleeping in till 8am hopefully) I am doing the OMAD.. so lord help me ! no breakfast and no panda express for lunch :neutral:

MFP gives you 1200 (before exercise) based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week." Bring your weekly goal down to 1.5 pounds per week & your daily calories would increase.

1200 is before exercise, because some people can't do it. If you logged your exercise in MFP, or had an activity tracker synced to MFP you would "earn" more calories.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Some days I can easily go from 5pm to 11am or noonish so around 18-19hrs.

Other days I wake up needing breakfast. I could have something to do with my zig zagging my caloires.

But I'm consistent at cutting off eating at 5pm. I have no idea why but having a cutoff time on eating seems to stop the snacking.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to do that. I can't even skip breakfast without feeling nauseous from hunger. I saw this week when I had to fast for blood tests.

I sat in the restaurant and I guess my blood sugar/pressure dropped really quickly, and I felt really nauseous from hunger. The waitress came over to ask me if I was alright because I turned pale. Lol! I'll stick to my 3 meals and 1 snack. :) If it works for you, great! Just make sure you get adequate nutrition.