"Have you lost weight?" and other terrifying questions

Options
Hi MFPers,

How do you answer the question "have you lost weight?"

I'm so reluctant to say anything to friends or colleagues, because the minute one upsets the status quo suddenly all the "you're getting too skinny", "one little piece won't hurt!", and other passive aggressive comments start.

Advice?

Replies

• sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Them: "Have you lost weight?"
    Me: "Yes."
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    "Yes" or "Yes, I have." So far the only people who have commented are family and friends and they've been supportive and encouraging in their comments.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Usually I don't volunteer the info, but if they ask me, my answer is usually something like 'Well, I'm trying. Hopefully it's working!" like it's not a big deal to me. Seems to work well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't have to deal with that except from one relative. My cousin's husband is an old football coach. When he saw me in June this year I'd lost about 50 lb and he was shocked, saying that I really shouldn't try to lose all the way to 160. When he saw me against a couple of weeks ago at another cousin's funeral he strongly suggested that I stop here. He does care about me and I do love him, but it's my fat I'm trying to eliminate.

By the way, are your pants zipped?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I didn't bring it up. No one asked.
    I would have said yes and left it at that.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I sometimes say, "I hope so!" Then quickly turn the conversation toward something else. I'm such an introvert and can't stand the attention on me.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    When it was just 20 to 30 lbs gone when asked I'd blush and say "trying" now it's over 60 and I proudly say "yes", since I've still got a good 10 to 15 to go I don't hear "you're too thin".
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    A co-worker asked me, "You look like you've lost weight...are you sick?"
    Uhhhh...is being "sick" the only way to lose weight?
    I just said, yes, I have lost weight and no I'm not sick.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    i have a problem with the question too. One time someone asked how much I lost. I fibbed and said the amount was less. She grabbed the waist of my skirt and said see, you must have lost more. Another time I fibbed again the amount and I was told you must have lost more. And I answered how fat did you think I was. I never want anyone to know I am on a diet. I guess I am embarrassed even though they can see I need to lose weight. One time at a family dinner a relative asked me in front of everyone if I was on a diet. I, of course, said no. Later I realized she knew because I didn't have that second bowl of rice. After losing 50 lbs another time and not one person said anything only until I started gaining the weight back and then I had a comment. I guess admitting I am fat to non fat people bother me and actually people my size, even though I can talk freely with them I do hold back the ups and downs of the scale. Maybe it's from my whole life people commenting on my body/weight. My Uncle said to me once out of the blue (15 years of age?) if I lost weight he would give me a perm (him being a hairdresser). Wow, so he thought I needed to lose weight? I think I was probably 15 lbs overweight. No longer a favorite uncle lol One time my Dad said to me (maybe 20 years of age) you don't want to lose your girlish figure. And also being in diet groups weren't helpful. One time weighing in at Weight Watchers (Thanksgiving was at my house and I had all the leftovers that weekend) the weigher after seeing I gained weight made a negative comment about my eating at Thanksgiving. I didn't even want to go to that meeting but I sucked it up and went only to get that comment. Then one time with relatives and my friends at a lunch the brother-in-law said I thought you lost weight, Mom said you did. Wow, my children heard him say that to me. I don't know if my friends heard. I am rambling on about me on someone elses' thread, sorry.
    I think if you answer yes to the question - I lost weight, then there probably are other questions the person would then ask. Even at times when I did say yes and they ask how and I said ate less and exercised, they seemed to not like that answer.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    A co-worker asked me, "You look like you've lost weight...are you sick?"
    Uhhhh...is being "sick" the only way to lose weight?
    I just said, yes, I have lost weight and no I'm not sick.

I did once have a coworker ask me if I was okay when I'd lost around 50 pounds. She was a motherly type who wanted to be sure that it wasn't for medical issues. That was probably my most awkward question from someone.
  • Snrussell09
    Snrussell09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I say yes and if they ask more about it, I'll go in to more detail but I'm proud of it and don't have a problem at all. Although, I don't really get the question, they just say "Dang you've lost weight" and I say "Yep, I'm working on it".
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    The question that makes me uncomfortable is-- "what are you doing?
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't really like getting into all of it.