How to not overeat in a world full of slobs

Options

Replies

• kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Um I am back didn't see the barrage of response, quite funny. Never once did I say that I never ate processed foods or had a perfect plant based diet , I said that people are kidding themselves thinking certain processed foods are OK to eat...I am glad I helped you all define your own position on this matter. My food diary at the moment is a bit of a experiment I have just started a ketogenic eating plan, it's obvious that the term "processed" can be applied to any food! As soon as its pulled from the ground. My meaning I think was thinking about fast food type food. I seem to have hit a nerve... Pack mentality here.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    OP - am I allowed to say that your grammar is beautiful? Because your grammar is beautiful.

Unfortunately if your family likes to keep high-fat/high-salt things in the house (like mine!), the only thing you can do is control yourself. Easier said than done, right? Yes. But it's got to be that way if you want to maintain a healthy weight (which btw is what you are right now).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Um I am back didn't see the barrage of response, quite funny. Never once did I say that I never ate processed foods or had a perfect plant based diet , I said that people are kidding themselves thinking certain processed foods are OK to eat...I am glad I helped you all define your own position on this matter. My food diary at the moment is a bit of a experiment I have just started a ketogenic eating plan, it's obvious that the term "processed" can be applied to any food! As soon as its pulled from the ground. My meaning I think was thinking about fast food type food. I seem to have hit a nerve... Pack mentality here.

I think people took more of an issue with your labeling of people around you as fat slobs, than what you choose to eat....
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You do realize that most people here are former slobs right? :D

Uh ya, you're weight is fabulous.

Anyways, you could focus on hitting your macros ( protein, carbs, fat) & still fit in treats if that appeals to you

Can confirm, used to be fat and sloppy. Now just fat by my own ridiculous standards.

If it makes you feel better I'm still totally in slob status. 70 pounds down and more to lose! Ha

To be fair, I think most of us fall into the "could always lose more fat" category, even those like myself, who are technically a healthy weight. I'll consider easing up in the bulk/cut cycles when the veins in my abs have veins on their abs.

Do you think so?
    I dont count myself as "needing to lose more weight" - I lost to my goal weight 2 years ago and am happy maintaining there. Is a healthy weight and I see no reason to lose more - only to maintain it

Admittedly I could be ( a lot) fitter and I could eat a ( lot more) more nutritionally perfect diet.

Perhaps I am still a slob, not a former one.

Actually that is probably true - was once an overweight slob, now am just a healthy weight slob. B)

I said lose more fat, not lose more weight.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

If there's two things that fatties (and some former fatties) are good at, it's fatting, and being sensitive about their fatting. I sometimes feel like a weird inverse internal hipster. I hated myself for being fat, before it was cool to be okay with being fat, and I have never prevented that (borderline irrational) hatred from spilling onto others who shared my self-induced affliction.
  • amandapleighse92
    amandapleighse92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    OP - am I allowed to say that your grammar is beautiful? Because your grammar is beautiful.

Unfortunately if your family likes to keep high-fat/high-salt things in the house (like mine!), the only thing you can do is control yourself. Easier said than done, right? Yes. But it's got to be that way if you want to maintain a healthy weight (which btw is what you are right now).

you seem like a nice person. I like that about you
  • kiwiapplepear
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I think people took more of an issue with your labeling of people around you as fat slobs, than what you choose to eat....

Hi sorry but you are wrong, the op called people slobs please look at the thread I do not body shame I am 200lbs... I have struggled with weight twice in my life after having babies... OP is a teen and I was trying to support her desires to reject eating the McDonalds etc that she is constantly exposed exposed to, perhaps I was a little clumsy in my choice of words but I shamed no body.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Hi sorry but you are wrong, the op called people slobs please look at the thread I do not body shame I am 200lbs... I have struggled with weight twice in my life after having babies... OP is a teen and I was trying to support her desires to reject eating the McDonalds etc that she is constantly exposed exposed to, perhaps I was a little clumsy in my choice of words but I shamed no body.

That was my mistake in that I thought you were in fact the OP. I apologize for that confusion.

That said, I do wonder if you care to enlighten us about which processed foods are not OK to eat, and why...

If I might jump in, I wonder if folks get "processed foods are bad" confused with thinking folks that eat processed foods are eating donuts, pasta, twinkles all day every day? Exaggeration I know but you get the point, not getting balanced nutrition?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

The foods are okay to eat in moderation, and you can still eat a healthy overall diet and be healthy while enjoying those things in moderation.

Considering that you eat processed foods as a part of your overall diet, do you consider yourself "unhealthy" as a result? Does your doctor say you're "unhealthy"?

If you get all of your nutrients in 1200 calories, and you have 200 calories leftover, your body will not give you extra credit for filling those 200 calories with more micronutrients than your body needs. It will excrete the excess as waste. There is no harm in enjoying a "processed" treat within those leftover calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Just eat the healthier options at McD (salads, those little wraps or whatever they have) most of the time and supplement with some cheap foods from the store for nutrition. Canned fruits and vegetables are usually pretty cheap. Peanut butter is cheap and nutritious, though very high calorie. Eggs are cheap, low calorie and nutritious.

I think it's good that you want to nip any weight gain in the bud. You are in the healthy BMI range but there is no reason to wait until you are overweight to start thinking about health and weight control. Just do what you can within your means.
  • kiwiapplepear
    Options

The foods are okay to eat in moderation, and you can still eat a healthy overall diet and be healthy while enjoying those things in moderation.

Considering that you eat processed foods as a part of your overall diet, do you consider yourself "unhealthy" as a result? Does your doctor say you're "unhealthy"?

If you get all of your nutrients in 1200 calories, and you have 200 calories leftover, your body will not give you extra credit for filling those 200 calories with more micronutrients than your body needs. It will excrete the excess as waste. There is no harm in enjoying a "processed" treat within those leftover calories.

Hi, I am no expert, and sorry for saying a word unless I can back up everything with immediate facts, the thing is I can go and cite any study I like to support any argument I have, and like wise for any other opinion.... I don't have time to write a thesis. I think its quote obvious where I was coming from, yes I demonise certain foods, do I still eat them... trying my best not to. But yeah I think I have exposed myself to many hidden chemicals that have affected my health adversely, ideally I want to trust that everything I buy that is processed is "safe". I deplore the use of synthetic pesticides and herbicides in our food, I cant afford to eat completely organic, I live in New Zealand and food is VERY expensive here... blah blah blah,..... you know the drill I am just a person trying to do and say the right things....
  • kiwiapplepear
    Options
    ]

Disagreeing with your dramatic previous post is not pack mentality.

No nerves hit here. I found your post amusing.

Sorry but I had a person comment that I had called people fat slobs... they hadn't read the thread and were jumping on the bandwagon .... if thats not "pack mentality" what is? Have a good day...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Just. Stop. They are okay to eat. It is called moderation, you know...what dietitians encourage?
    *snort*