Bananas: Good or Bad?

Options
littlemshepy
littlemshepy Posts: 28 Member
edited November 2016 in Food and Nutrition
People say that bananas are bad for you when losing weight is that true? I love having bananas as a snack.. I also add it to my smoothies
But was just wondering if thats true?
(And even if it is I wont stop having myself from having it once in a while) but yeah would love to know what you think. :)

Replies

• littlemshepy
    littlemshepy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Very true Queenliz99... Btw how many is too many?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,033 Member
    Options
    I personally think they are more filling than most other fruits too - so I guess that evens out with higher calories.

I think bananas feature in these thread questions so often because they are common click bait for websites - 5 foods you must never eat!! featuring a banana in the picture.
    Have never seen one featuring an apple or a strawberry

But anyway Anvilhead summed it up - unless you are eating so many that one of the above happens, they are fine.

and they dont have that many calories really - I eat one or two several days per week and I found them easy enough to fit into a losing allowance of 1460
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bananas are fine if they fit into your diet. You could eat two or three twinkles a day, so long as you don't go over your calories and get your other nutrients. If it fits into your daily allotment, no foods are really bad for you, per se.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i read someplace that the more ripe (turning brown) they are the better for diets....something to do with digestibility and not binding you up
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bananas have anywhere from 50 to 100 calories depending on what size they are. Lots of potassium too. I think they are wonderful with a tiny bit of Peanut Butter. Just slice them lengthwise and use a bout a tablespoon. Put the two halves back together again. No problem! Just don't eat more than one a day!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Bananas have anywhere from 50 to 100 calories depending on what size they are. Lots of potassium too. I think they are wonderful with a tiny bit of Peanut Butter. Just slice them lengthwise and use a bout a tablespoon. Put the two halves back together again. No problem! Just don't eat more than one a day!

Why?
  • drivennightrunner87
    drivennightrunner87 Posts: 302 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JinjoJoey wrote: »
    Bananas are fine if they fit into your diet. You could eat two or three twinkles a day, so long as you don't go over your calories and get your other nutrients. If it fits into your daily allotment, no foods are really bad for you, per se.

save it all for MORE PIZZA B)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Personally too high calorie, low volume, and not filling enough for me. Rather have two oreos. To each their own though.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Good. I eat one almost everyday
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have recently fallen in love with mixing up a banana with ~100g of cottage cheese, ~20g of plain yogurt and 2 TBS of chocolate PB2. It fulfills the sweet treats I've been craving like crazy while being a nice protein filled breakfast or lunch well under 400 calories.

So, clearly I think they're A-ok.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,033 Member
    Options
    N =1.

I eat 2 bananas per day quite often - occasionally even 3. Some days I dont eat any.

Such a crazy habit doesnt seem to be doing me any harm

I eat several per week - cant see how it matter if 2 of them happen to be on same day and not on consecutive days.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You could literally replace "bananas" with any food item in this question and the answer will always be "no, unless you tend to overeat that item or your chosen diet strategy does not accommodate them".

Bananas (and any other food you can think of) are okay within a calorie controlled diet.

I like bananas. Sometimes I eat several a day other times I eat none. My weight loss has not suffered either way.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3s0snAh321rpa7gko2_250.gif
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    FWIW I eat a banana every morning as that helps keep my legs from cramping. I lost weight doing that too. I just accounted for the calories in my meal planning.

Cheers
    Roger