I can't reach my calorie count of 1200

Options

Replies

• CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    OP: healthy fats are going to fill up your calorie allowance beautifully. I can't see your diary, but something that was suggested to me by a dietitian when I needed to gain weight (and therefore had a calorie allowance to fill, even if it was higher than what yours is now) was to sub in full-fat yogurt for the low-fat stuff I was eating, go for the full-fat cheese, add avocado to everything I could, eat plenty of nuts, that sort of stuff. I was also told to make sure I was eating enough protein as well, and to go for whole-grain options over refined grains (whole wheat bread vs white bread, brown rice vs white rice, etc).

When you log food into your diary there are numbers beside the calorie count that I want you to keep an eye on. One of them is protein; make sure you're hitting that target, or at least getting very close. Adequate protein intake, from what I've been told, will help you build and repair muscle tissue, which will help you with your aesthetic goals. Another one (that you'll probably have to switch one out for like I did) is fiber. I swapped out my sugar tracker for that one, and I make sure that I hit that number every day. Without making this too gross I'll just tell you your digestive system will thank you for getting enough fiber (although you might want to work your way up to hitting that number gradually).

As far as being "chubby", your weight is perfectly healthy for your height. Going lower can put you into the underweight category, which I can tell you from experience is not a fun place to have to work your way out of. If you want to improve the look of your body I would suggest strength training. There's a website called fitnessblender.com that has a ton of FREE workout videos that target all sorts of different muscle groups, covers different sorts of training, and yes there are completely bodyweight strength training videos there. They also have a blog on the same website with awesome recipes and really inspirational stories. I do all of my workouts at home, and this website has about 90% of the workouts that I use.

*disclaimer* this is not medical advice, I am not a doctor or a dietitian or any type of health professional. what worked for me may not work for someone else, and no, fitnessblender does not pay me for my constant endorsing of their workouts, although if they did I'd probably be a millionaire by now.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 140. Your goal
    Is 125. Your calorie goal is 1200. All looks fine to me. Just make sure you're getting enough nutrition, and you should be there before you know it. Once you reach goal, be sure to increase those cals to your maintenance calories. Often people get hooked to their dieting calorie # and have a hard time allowing more. It's the most important step in the process imo, so you can maintain your goal for life.

Don't let the other posters discourage you because THEY think you don't need to lose at 140. Their goals and idea of the perfect body type and size isn't a one size fits all. In their opinion, if you were a bikini model, you're wayyyyy too skinny, which is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with being lean and healthy. And it doesn't mean you need therapy. If your boyfriend wants to be insulting about your weight, that's a separate issue. If you want to reach a standard for you, then follow the steps mfp gives you and it's just a matter of time.
  • msalicia116
    Options
    Is 125. Your calorie goal is 1200. All looks fine to me. Just make sure you're getting enough nutrition, and you should be there before you know it. Once you reach goal, be sure to increase those cals to your maintenance calories. Often people get hooked to their dieting calorie # and have a hard time allowing more. It's the most important step in the process imo, so you can maintain your goal for life.

Don't let the other posters discourage you because THEY think you don't need to lose at 140. Their goals and idea of the perfect body type and size isn't a one size fits all. In their opinion, if you were a bikini model, you're wayyyyy too skinny, which is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with being lean and healthy. And it doesn't mean you need therapy. If your boyfriend wants to be insulting about your weight, that's a separate issue. If you want to reach a standard for you, then follow the steps mfp gives you and it's just a matter of time.

she can be lean without losing weight,its called eating at maintenance and lifting heavy weights.lifting weights is good to do as well it helps you retain any lean muscle you already have.it prevents bone loss as well. Theres one thing to be a healthy weight and lean and another being underweight.

"It's called".... don't. She can be lean and lose weight (which is what HER goals are, not yours) and still be healthy and not under weight.

Quit making it about you.
  • msalicia116
    edited November 2016
    Options

With all due respect, you didn't read her other thread.

There are other issues at play here.

Most of us commenting about her feelings about herself did read that thread. Her boyfriend and how he spoke to her isn't as separate an issue as you think it is.

I am not as opposed to people wanting to be super lean as some other posters are. I'm shooting for such a goal myself.

In this case, though? I don't think the OP is in the right headspace to be doing this.

My response was regarding the topic. I did gather there were other factors at play, which I acknowledged by saying if she wanted to do it for her, then xyz, but if her bf was being insulting, then that's a whole other ballgame so to speak.

But you can simultaneously want to lose weight while dating a pos, it doesn't have to be one or the other, which is why I chose to express an unbiased opinion.
  • msalicia116
    Options

she can be lean without losing weight,its called eating at maintenance and lifting heavy weights.lifting weights is good to do as well it helps you retain any lean muscle you already have.it prevents bone loss as well. Theres one thing to be a healthy weight and lean and another being underweight.

"It's called".... don't. She can be lean and lose weight (which is what HER goals are, not yours) and still be healthy and not under weight.

You don't think a BMI of 19 might be a stretch?

Nope! Not at all. Not even a little bit.

• msalicia116
    Options

IFBB pro winner Christie Marquez competes at 19.4 and walks around off season at 21.2.
    http://staging.evogennutrition.com/evogen-athletes/

I bring this up because you mentioned fitness competitors earlier.

Here's a young girl with disordered thinking to begin with, and you're suggesting a BMI lower than a muscled, fit professional bikini competitor.

I think you need to rethink how you go about giving advice on these boards.

I mentioned fitness competitors earlier?

You can be 19% and not be a fitness competitor. Where does it say that being 19% is unhealthy?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

IFBB pro winner Christie Marquez competes at 19.4 and walks around off season at 21.2.

Here's a young girl with disordered thinking to begin with, and you're suggesting a BMI lower than a muscled, fit professional bikini competitor.

You can be 19% and not be a fitness competitor. Where does it say that being 19% is unhealthy?
    %?
    Are we taking about body fat percentage or BMI here?

• msalicia116
    Options

%?
    Are we taking about body fat percentage or BMI here?

BMI. (Percent was unintentional). 19 is in the healthy range. You Don't have to be a fitness competitor to have a bmi of 19.

No need to project your own idea of what healthy and attainable is (Generally speaking).
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Don't diet down below a healthy BMI. Study on doing a recomp. You'd probably be pretty happy after about 3 months of lifting while eating at maintenance. If you're really having trouble keeping your calories up. Start cooking with oils, so you can at least get the calories up without needing to raise volume.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    OP, in terms of not being able to reach your calorie goal, yes, you should find stuff that will get you there even if you are not hungry. You need the nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) not to mention sufficient calories.

I didn't read all the responses, but to get rid of the softness you have, it would be better to eat at or close to maintenance and start into a good weight lifting program.
This discussion has been closed.