I can't reach my calorie count of 1200

Options

Replies

• msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    You're 5'8" and 140. Your goal
    Is 125. Your calorie goal is 1200. All looks fine to me. Just make sure you're getting enough nutrition, and you should be there before you know it. Once you reach goal, be sure to increase those cals to your maintenance calories. Often people get hooked to their dieting calorie # and have a hard time allowing more. It's the most important step in the process imo, so you can maintain your goal for life.

Don't let the other posters discourage you because THEY think you don't need to lose at 140. Their goals and idea of the perfect body type and size isn't a one size fits all. In their opinion, if you were a bikini model, you're wayyyyy too skinny, which is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with being lean and healthy. And it doesn't mean you need therapy. If your boyfriend wants to be insulting about your weight, that's a separate issue. If you want to reach a standard for you, then follow the steps mfp gives you and it's just a matter of time.

she can be lean without losing weight,its called eating at maintenance and lifting heavy weights.lifting weights is good to do as well it helps you retain any lean muscle you already have.it prevents bone loss as well. Theres one thing to be a healthy weight and lean and another being underweight.

"It's called".... don't. She can be lean and lose weight (which is what HER goals are, not yours) and still be healthy and not under weight.

Quit making it about you.

You don't think a BMI of 19 might be a stretch?

Nope! Not at all. Not even a little bit.

IFBB pro winner Christie Marquez competes at 19.4 and walks around off season at 21.2.
    http://staging.evogennutrition.com/evogen-athletes/

I bring this up because you mentioned fitness competitors earlier.

Here's a young girl with disordered thinking to begin with, and you're suggesting a BMI lower than a muscled, fit professional bikini competitor.

I think you need to rethink how you go about giving advice on these boards.

I mentioned fitness competitors earlier?

You can be 19% and not be a fitness competitor. Where does it say that being 19% is unhealthy?
    %?
    Are we taking about body fat percentage or BMI here?

BMI. (Percent was unintentional). 19 is in the healthy range. You Don't have to be a fitness competitor to have a bmi of 19.

No need to project your own idea of what healthy and attainable is (Generally speaking).

I don't quite understand why you are advocating so much against her achieving a lean body through lifting weights by claiming people are projecting their opinions of health onto the OP. There are a multitude of health benefits, while a BMI of 19 can begin to create health issues. You need to take her height into account. A bmi bordering on underweight could mean a decrease in bone density, among many other health problems. To advise her to ignore thoughtful advice in itself is horrible advice.

I'm not advocating against it. If that's what she wants to do, great. But a bmi of 19 is in the healthy range, and in line with what she says her goals are, so I'm choosing not to ignore her goals, or tell her what I think her goals should be. This is not about me, or you, it's about her.

She would not be considered underweight, and fortunately as you get closer to goal you can re-evaluate what you think looks and feels healthy.

Feel free to tell someone to stay at their weight, and do something completely different than they say their goals are, if you want. That's certainly one option. But it's not the only option or the best option, it's just 1 of several.
  • msalicia116
    Options
    Yes, I guess I am projecting. I'm the same height as OP and have been at BMI of 18-19, and no, it was not a good look at all... My family intervened when i got down to that point. I had been at a healthy slim weight previously to this, so it's not as if i went from overweight to skinny and my family freaked out because they weren't used to seeing a slim me.

You and I both have had a lower BMI, with 2 different outcomes. So going with the generic BMI scale is ideal. If you want to talk about your personal situation, then that's a different thread.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Is 125. Your calorie goal is 1200. All looks fine to me. Just make sure you're getting enough nutrition, and you should be there before you know it. Once you reach goal, be sure to increase those cals to your maintenance calories. Often people get hooked to their dieting calorie # and have a hard time allowing more. It's the most important step in the process imo, so you can maintain your goal for life.

Don't let the other posters discourage you because THEY think you don't need to lose at 140. Their goals and idea of the perfect body type and size isn't a one size fits all. In their opinion, if you were a bikini model, you're wayyyyy too skinny, which is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with being lean and healthy. And it doesn't mean you need therapy. If your boyfriend wants to be insulting about your weight, that's a separate issue. If you want to reach a standard for you, then follow the steps mfp gives you and it's just a matter of time.

she can be lean without losing weight,its called eating at maintenance and lifting heavy weights.lifting weights is good to do as well it helps you retain any lean muscle you already have.it prevents bone loss as well. Theres one thing to be a healthy weight and lean and another being underweight.

"It's called".... don't. She can be lean and lose weight (which is what HER goals are, not yours) and still be healthy and not under weight.

IFBB pro winner Christie Marquez competes at 19.4 and walks around off season at 21.2.

Here's a young girl with disordered thinking to begin with, and you're suggesting a BMI lower than a muscled, fit professional bikini competitor.

You can be 19% and not be a fitness competitor. Where does it say that being 19% is unhealthy?
    %?

BMI. (Percent was unintentional). 19 is in the healthy range. You Don't have to be a fitness competitor to have a bmi of 19.

No need to project your own idea of what healthy and attainable is (Generally speaking).

The point isn't about being a fitness competitor or not. The point is that even they, at their most extreme (during competition season), don't get that low.

You tried to imply that people would point to bikini models and say they were too skinny. I'm showing you that bikini models aren't as "skinny" as the OP wants to be. And yet here you are, supporting this low BMI.

As far as "projecting" when it comes to the idea of what's healthy? I'm sorry. That's something that is objectively able to be determined, and I can post a very long study for you showing that the risk of all cause mortality increases under a BMI of 20.
    http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2156

19 is in the "healthy range" for BMi. I was 19 for many many years, never even close to looking or training like a competitor. They are not one in the same. I have never been healthier as I was then.

If you don't want to have a 19 BMI, don't. As long as it is in the healthy range, you're personal opinion on whether that is too lean doesn't matter.

How tall are you?
  • msalicia116
    Options

%?

I don't quite understand why you are advocating so much against her achieving a lean body through lifting weights by claiming people are projecting their opinions of health onto the OP. There are a multitude of health benefits, while a BMI of 19 can begin to create health issues. You need to take her height into account. A bmi bordering on underweight could mean a decrease in bone density, among many other health problems. To advise her to ignore thoughtful advice in itself is horrible advice.

I'm not advocating against it. If that's what she wants to do, great. But a bmi of 19 is in the healthy range, and in line with what she says her goals are, so I'm choosing not to ignore her goals, or tell her what I think her goals should be. This is not about me, or you, it's about her.

She would not be considered underweight, and fortunately as you get closer to goal you can re-evaluate what you think looks and feels healthy.

Feel free to tell someone to stay at their weight, and do something completely different than they say their goals are, if you want. That's certainly one option. But it's not the only option or the best option, it's just 1 of several.

She said she wants to lose the "chubby" look people are advising her how to do that in a healthy way by weight training and getting enough calories.

Yep. That's clear. And it's one option. But she said she wants to lose weight and stated her goal, which is on the low end of the "healthy range". My pov was to make sure she got the proper nutrition and increase to maintenance calories when she reached goal. It's not my place to tell her to change her goal unless to say mfp doesn't encourage unhealthy weight loss in the underweight category.
  • msalicia116
    Options

%?

The point isn't about being a fitness competitor or not. The point is that even they, at their most extreme (during competition season), don't get that low.

You tried to imply that people would point to bikini models and say they were too skinny. I'm showing you that bikini models aren't as "skinny" as the OP wants to be. And yet here you are, supporting this low BMI.

As far as "projecting" when it comes to the idea of what's healthy? I'm sorry. That's something that is objectively able to be determined, and I can post a very long study for you showing that the risk of all cause mortality increases under a BMI of 20.

19 is in the "healthy range" for BMi. I was 19 for many many years, never even close to looking or training like a competitor. They are not one in the same. I have never been healthier as I was then.

If you don't want to have a 19 BMI, don't. As long as it is in the healthy range, you're personal opinion on whether that is too lean doesn't matter.

How tall are you?

At 5'8" a 19 BMI is in the healthy range.

How tall are you? Never mind, that's irrelevant.
  • msalicia116
    edited November 2016
    Options

%?

How tall are you?

You didn't answer how tall YOU were.

The reason I'm asking is that for shorter people, lower BMI's like 19 are more okay than they are for people who are taller.

I'm only 5'1", but I'm only going to go down to 110 pounds, a BMI of 20.8. I'm also 54 years old.

Now how tall are you?

At 5'8" it is HEALTHY to have a BMI of 19. Just because you want to redirect doesn't mean I have to play your game. No matter how you want to spin it, it doesn't change that someone her height with that BMI is in the healthy range. Be an adult, focus on the topic.
  • meljofit
    meljofit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I do is add protein smoothies or shakes such as muscle milk or naked brand protein smoothies in the produce aisle. They have like 400 calories and help get calories and energy in. :) almond butter is good too.
  • msalicia116
    Options

%?

She said she wants to lose the "chubby" look people are advising her how to do that in a healthy way by weight training and getting enough calories.

Yep. That's clear. And it's one option. But she said she wants to lose weight and stated her goal, which is on the low end of the "healthy range". My pov was to make sure she got the proper nutrition and increase to maintenance calories when she reached goal. It's not my place to tell her to change her goal unless to say mfp doesn't encourage unhealthy weight loss in the underweight category.

Actually, for someone who is supposedly supporting the OP in her goals, you've done nothing to address her first post, which brought forth her concerns with not being able to reach her calorie goals.

What exactly is the point of all of your posts if you're saying you want to support her if you haven't provided her with any information in that regard?

Don't put words in my mouth. I thought the nutrition suggestions from other posters touched on that point successfully. No need to repeat what was already stated multiple times. I made the only point that she doesn't need to change her goals, but if she were to pursue them, to focus on nutrition. I would like to know both sides as well if I were new to the forum, not just one.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

%?

I didn't read the OP's other post so I'm not jumping in this one, except to say a bmi of 19 is still in the healthy range and I hit that when I first began transitioning in maintenance. My health markers at that bmi were excellent, as was my blood pressure etc. My doctor was pretty geeked since that was also the first time my glucose number was out of the prediabetic range and in the low 80s.

Anyhooo, carry on :p
  • msalicia116
    Options

%?

How tall are you?

You didn't answer how tall YOU were.

The reason I'm asking is that for shorter people, lower BMI's like 19 are more okay than they are for people who are taller.

I'm only 5'1", but I'm only going to go down to 110 pounds, a BMI of 20.8. I'm also 54 years old.

Now how tall are you?

At 5'8" it is HEALTHY to have a BMI of 19. Just because you want to redirect doesn't mean I have to play your game. No matter how you want to spin it, it doesn't change that someone her height with that BMI is in the healthy range. Be an adult, focus on the topic.

No, the topic is if it's healthy for the OP to be that BMI.

I don't think it's mentally healthy for her to be that BMI.

In fact, that's not even the topic at all.

She can't even bring herself to eat 1200 calories because her self esteem is so shattered by her abusive boyfriend that she has body dysmorphia and came to the boards looking for help.

You came charging in here acting like everything was just fine without having read the other thread and seeing what absolute hell she's been through with that loser and consequently having any idea what you're talking about in regards to this entire situation accused everyone else of projecting when in fact you're the one who's been projecting the whole time because you're the one who's had the same BMI the OP wants to get down to.

You know what?

Back off her thread and let it be about her again.

I'm not intimidated by you or anyone on this thread. I didn't charge in here or do anything but state she should focus on her nutrition, and because her goal is in the healthy range, really other people's opinions (mine included) doesn't matter.

You and your "you can't sit here" mentality because I have a different opinion than you and your friends doesn't phase me. She stated she wanted to lose weight, separate from her bf. Respecting that note, I gave my opinion keeping in mind her goals were in the "healthy range". My goals and preference has nothing to do with her. The only thing that matters was that she was in a healthy range for her goal, and doing it in a healthy way. What you, I, or anyone else went through have nothing to do with her.

You're obviously emotional and spend a lot of time here.

This discussion has been closed.