Ladies who workout : what do you do with your rings?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Athena_fit
    Athena_fit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    I wear my college ring (gold) all the time when I exercise. There are certain things I would probably take it off for (monkey bars, serious lifting), but since I rarely do those things, I don't have to worry about it. I also do a lot of water sports (Stand Up Paddleboarding) and keep it on even in the water (and in the shower, etc). But it has an enclosed setting for the gem, not a gem with prongs so the water doesn't dull the gem.

Back when I was engaged (30 or so years ago), I had a very nice gold engagement ring (diamond solitaire). I initially took it off and tied it on my tennis shoe when I worked out (was in the Army, so pretty severe workouts), but I ended up bending the band because the gold was so malleable (was able to bend it back eventually). So, I had to stop that, and leave it back at home for workouts. Be sure to get a sturdier metal if you might be doing this, or just leave it at home.

Still kind of curious why you wouldn't cook with your rings on. I've never really heard of that. I've heard of taking an engagement ring off to wash dishes because the soap and food can get under the gem if it's a pronged ring, but not for cooking.

I do know of people that don't wear their rings (not even a wedding band) because of their jobs - electricians, communications techs (that deal with wiring), construction workers, military, etc, because of the risk of snagging the ring on something (or hitting a live wire) and potentially severing the finger or electrocuting themselves. I'm sure the severing could be a problem with some gym workouts too.

I would just feel it would be in the way when cooking...I have 10 inch chef knife that I use on a daily basis - actually many times a day. I would be scared to damage the ring if an accident occurs or just wouldnt feel comfortable, i use my hands a lot when cooking.

Thanks for your answer :)
  • kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I take it off and leave it at home. I don't worry about breaking it but my fingers swell a t lot and it is horribly uncomfortable.
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Haha, this has just become a problem for me, married 40 years and hardly ever taken my rings off, and I always forget to take them off before I go to he gym, for a long time I couldn't take them off. Ow they are loose and it really hurts when I am lifting so they go into my trainers pocket. Last week I forgot he had them and had to go back to the gym and get them, he thought I wanted more
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I wear mine now that I've lost weight and they fit. But when my fingers were chubbier and would swell to the point the rings hurt, I would leave them in my jewelry box at home...didn't want to take the chance of losing/stolen at the gym or in my car.
  • blue730
    blue730 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Leave them at home!!! If you feel odd not having a wedding band on go to Walmart and purchase a sterling silver ring for under 20 bucks. I've heard way to many stories of women losing their wedding rings or someone stealing them from the lockers at gyms