• mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Yes by grams.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If it's not a liquid and I'm eating it, it gets weighed. Liquids get the measuring cup. Only liquids in the measuring cup. So to answer your question, Yes, I weigh ice cream.

Edit to add: In grams. (I keep forgetting that weighing in grams isn't second nature to everyone dieting.)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yep. Grams, too.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised to find calories of the weighed version was lower than the calories in the spoonfuls I'd been using! Calorie savings!!!
    :)
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yep, absolutely, in grams.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes. Ice cream with lots of air whipped in is going to be lighter in calories. Not all ice creams are the same in this regard. Measuring cups just don't capture this.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Yes. Ice cream with lots of air whipped in is going to be lighter in calories. Not all ice creams are the same in this regard. Measuring cups just don't capture this.

Exactly. In the US, cheap ice cream with air whipped into it weighs between 65 to 80g per half cup, the "suggested" serving size. Premium ice cream weighs between 95 to 105g per half cup.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    About 4 times a day.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Great to learn !!
    TeaBea wrote: »

Great to learn this, thanks!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is one of the few foods that I always weigh. It can be very calorie dense, so little errors can mean a big difference in calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. And my yogurt and everything.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No because I only ever eat the whole tub (now I'll wait for someone to tell me that serving sizes can vary by up to 20%).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    Yes.

But like trigden, not if it is a set serving size - eg I buy a box of individually wrapped ice cream squares and I take them to be the weight the package says they are - or if not, that it will average out.

But I do that with all packaged items - contrary to MFP popular advice of weighing them to see if they are more or less than they say they are
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    do not eat ice cream
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    do not eat ice cream

And why exactly are you offering this advice? Ice cream is perfectly fine to eat while reducing your calorie intake. And they didn't ask whether or not they should eat it, they just asked if we weigh it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Of course. Ice cream volume varies by how much air is whipped into it. Even using the box volumes, it the same ice cream could settle differently after each use and won't always be precisely the same. I actually weigh all my food items regardless, even liquids.
  • svarychevskagunder
    Options
    better to not eat it
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    better to not eat it

Why? the OP obviously want to eat Ice cream as they are asking the questions. If they weigh accurately and stick to their calories they will still hit their goals.