Phentermine?

Options

Replies

• Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed the highest legal dose of phentermine last year, here's what it did:

Absolutely nothing. No energy, no decreased appetite, no heart racing or dry mouth, slept like a baby even if I took it in the evening. Just my experience.
  • kelli_ketring
    kelli_ketring Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not sure why there are so many completely against the drug. I started my health & fitness journey 2 years ago. My doctor told me if I lost 10lbs on my own, that she would prescribe me Adipex (Phentermine) because I was young, had a healthy heart, and believed it could truly help me. It did. The key to being on it is that you MUST eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly while taking it. The majority of users take it, lose up to 15 lbs, get taken off of it (you can only be prescribed it for 3 months) and complain that it's not affective and bad because they didn't change any of their habits while taking it. I lost approximately 30 additional pounds while on it because I changed my eating habits and exercised regularly. This got me into a routine and a mindset to keep going even after I was taken off of it after the 3 months. Doctor's are still prescribing it for obese adults that meet the requirements. You have to see your doctor each month out of the 3 to get a check up and make sure it isn't affecting your health negatively at all and to get the prescription for the following month. Phentermine is a similar drug to Adderall or Vyvanse, drugs used for the treatment of ADD, ADHD, and Binge Eating Disorder. I'm currently on Vyvanse for ADHD and BED but was not diagnosed or prescribed this until well after my 3 months on Phentermine. Because I've stuck with my new healthy lifestyle since the end of my Phentermine trial, I'm down a total of 80 lbs in 2 years. I would recommend seeing a trusted Doctor and getting a full work up done before considering Phentermine as an option to "kickstart" weight loss but I highly recommend doing your best to lose about 10 lbs on your own beforehand, to know if you'll stick with it and not just use it as a "quick fix," because the most you'll lose that way on it is 10-15 lbs and likely gain it back then some right after the 3 months.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    My daughter tried it once thru one of these diet centers, it did not work for her. It didn't change her eating habits which are her problem. At first she thought she wasn't as hungry but then she just quit the program as it was too expensive for her budget. I'm trying to get her to join me in my diet. I am on nutrisystem right now and its too costly for her too at the moment, but in our house its the wrong foods and the portions are always to large. When I cook now I am trying to make half of what I did before. I never wanted anyone to leave the table hungry, we always ate like it was thanksgiving. If I bought a baking potato I bought huge ones and everyone got one and smothered it with butter. Now I try and find smaller one and then they have to share. LOL I still learning..

Hi FWIW
    I have seen this one in the past from Nutrisystem.

Give $50 & GET $50
    Share this offer with a friend and you'll also get a $50 reward once they make their first purchase!
    Your daughter could save A$50 and You could also get a $50 credit.

Also I have seen references to a Family Plan that reduces costs if You and Your daughter are at the same address. You would have to check it out. Also Look for Promotions to save more money.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So I'll give you my take on it but just know I'm not directing everything directly at you OP. This is just my general experience and recommendation for anyone searching phentermine or adipex on the boards.

I've been battling my weight for years but I've never been consistent and every 3-4 for months or so I go off the wagon and don't track. I also hadn't been much of a gym person but a year ago I got a membership and I go consistently. I've also been tracking my food more consistently.

My doctor opted to try me on phentermine because he saw that I've been working out consistently and actually put on weight. I started just over a week ago. Aside from the dry mouth the most noticeable side effect is lack of hunger. He gave me a goal of 1500 cals to stick to. I can often eat that much but sometimes I just forget. There's a huge difference in my daily life though. I used to think about food a lot. I was experiencing hunger pangs a lot. Much of my energy or attention went in to food even when I wasn't eating it or had recently eaten. This med allows me to focus on other things. I'm starting to learn what it feels like to be a healthy eater, or someone who isn't as interested in food. There are people who go hours without thinking about or planning food, that wasn't me. My brain was telling me I was hungry, all the time. I recommend you look in to brain signaling and obesity before passing judgement.

This med isn't for everyone though. It is an amphetamine. Similar to speed. It does have potential for abuse. There is a reason the maker recommends only 90 days at a time. It comes with a thick pamphlet that should definitely be read. The scariest warning about it is that it can cause heart problems that need repair or even damage that is irreparable. These are usually underlying problems that people didn't know they had and are then exacerbated by the drug.

It is important the understand the the drug works three ways. It suppresses hunger signaling. It raises your heart rate- I'm sitting right now and hanging out at 80bpm whereas normally I would be at 60. There is a third way that it helps with loss but even the manufacturer states that the mechanism is unknown.

The reason why my doctor thought this med is okay for me is because I was already doing my part, and my personal risk for problems is low. I am doing my part by exercising 4-6 days per week. Not just walking, but exercises that include compound exercises, lifting, cardio all in one. I have already shown him that my heart is used to exercising. My labs also show that everything is normal and my issues can't be attributed to diabetes for example. My weight was the only thing that was outside of the normal range. I'm also doing my part by tracking consistently.

This drug helps you to reset. You know what 1500 calories really is. If you don't eat enough, you won't feel good. If you don't eat right, you won't feel good. If you aren't consistently exercising already, this isn't the drug for you. If you think this drug will give you a free pass to eat whatever you want or not eat at all, this drug isn't for you. If you don't have much to lose, this drug isn't for you. If you drink caffeine with it, you're gonna have a bad time!

Don't buy this drug online. You need to go to a real pharmacy and get the real drug. It cost me 20 bucks at Costco for a 90 day supply. I'm also telling you to go to the pharmacy because that means you'll first have to go to your doctor. If your doctor thinks you're not a good candidate, you should listen. Maybe they want you to improve your routine first. Because if you don't improve your way of life and your habits you'll definitely put the weight back on when your script runs out. Maybe they think your heart isn't strong enough. Don't undermine their opinion. The benefit has to outweigh the risk and for some it just doesn't. This is serious stuff and needs some serious thought before getting in to.
  • bigfatguy13088
    bigfatguy13088 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Phentermine can cause some nasty side effects, like high blood pressure, sleeplessness, aneurysm, etc juat to name a few.
    Going the medication route is usually not a good idea IMHO. Just be patient and track accurately and exercise some
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    sblueyez wrote: »
    So I'll give you my take on it but just know I'm not directing everything directly at you OP. This is just my general experience and recommendation for anyone searching phentermine or adipex on the boards.

I've been battling my weight for years but I've never been consistent and every 3-4 for months or so I go off the wagon and don't track. I also hadn't been much of a gym person but a year ago I got a membership and I go consistently. I've also been tracking my food more consistently.

My doctor opted to try me on phentermine because he saw that I've been working out consistently and actually put on weight. I started just over a week ago. Aside from the dry mouth the most noticeable side effect is lack of hunger. He gave me a goal of 1500 cals to stick to. I can often eat that much but sometimes I just forget. There's a huge difference in my daily life though. I used to think about food a lot. I was experiencing hunger pangs a lot. Much of my energy or attention went in to food even when I wasn't eating it or had recently eaten. This med allows me to focus on other things. I'm starting to learn what it feels like to be a healthy eater, or someone who isn't as interested in food. There are people who go hours without thinking about or planning food, that wasn't me. My brain was telling me I was hungry, all the time. I recommend you look in to brain signaling and obesity before passing judgement.

This med isn't for everyone though. It is an amphetamine. Similar to speed. It does have potential for abuse. There is a reason the maker recommends only 90 days at a time. It comes with a thick pamphlet that should definitely be read. The scariest warning about it is that it can cause heart problems that need repair or even damage that is irreparable. These are usually underlying problems that people didn't know they had and are then exacerbated by the drug.

It is important the understand the the drug works three ways. It suppresses hunger signaling. It raises your heart rate- I'm sitting right now and hanging out at 80bpm whereas normally I would be at 60. There is a third way that it helps with loss but even the manufacturer states that the mechanism is unknown.

The reason why my doctor thought this med is okay for me is because I was already doing my part, and my personal risk for problems is low. I am doing my part by exercising 4-6 days per week. Not just walking, but exercises that include compound exercises, lifting, cardio all in one. I have already shown him that my heart is used to exercising. My labs also show that everything is normal and my issues can't be attributed to diabetes for example. My weight was the only thing that was outside of the normal range. I'm also doing my part by tracking consistently.

This drug helps you to reset. You know what 1500 calories really is. If you don't eat enough, you won't feel good. If you don't eat right, you won't feel good. If you aren't consistently exercising already, this isn't the drug for you. If you think this drug will give you a free pass to eat whatever you want or not eat at all, this drug isn't for you. If you don't have much to lose, this drug isn't for you. If you drink caffeine with it, you're gonna have a bad time!

Don't buy this drug online. You need to go to a real pharmacy and get the real drug. It cost me 20 bucks at Costco for a 90 day supply. I'm also telling you to go to the pharmacy because that means you'll first have to go to your doctor. If your doctor thinks you're not a good candidate, you should listen. Maybe they want you to improve your routine first. Because if you don't improve your way of life and your habits you'll definitely put the weight back on when your script runs out. Maybe they think your heart isn't strong enough. Don't undermine their opinion. The benefit has to outweigh the risk and for some it just doesn't. This is serious stuff and needs some serious thought before getting in to.

Exercise is more for other health benefits and doesn't help THAT much in the way of weight loss. The most important thing is maintaining a deficit. Now it's up the OP of how they want to obtain that deficit . With or without these risks.

(And no judgement from me. I used it about 4 years ago so I'm in no place to pass judgement but I would choose differently now.)
  • jlatr
    jlatr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great post. I started taking it 11/2 and my weight loss is slow but steady. I'm excercising and tracking meals but most days I can't eat all of my calories. Any suggestions? Is it true that a low carb diet is best when taking phentermine? TIA e
    sblueyez wrote: »

• fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking Phentermine. This is month 4 (Max amount that my doctor will allow) -- it requires monthly appts for the prescription and to ensure blood pressure is OK. It really does suppress appetite -- so if you are one to overeat it may help. After a couple weeks or so I felt a little off... like I had a huge dose of caffeine, but that wears off. I am afraid of what will happen to my appetite once I am off of it, but my doctor told me she has many patients that have successfully lost and kept it off. I have lost about 15 since the end of July -- but I have also been watching my food choices for the most part.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking Phentermine. This is month 4 (Max amount that my doctor will allow) -- it requires monthly appts for the prescription and to ensure blood pressure is OK. It really does suppress appetite -- so if you are one to overeat it may help. After a couple weeks or so I felt a little off... like I had a huge dose of caffeine, but that wears off. I am afraid of what will happen to my appetite once I am off of it, but my doctor told me she has many patients that have successfully lost and kept it off. I have lost about 15 since the end of July -- but I have also been watching my food choices for the most part.

Just make sure to have a game plan, and know that it won't be easy, so if you don't reach perfection right away, that's ok.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight with Phentermine. 40 pounds. I also quit drinking. I HAVE to log my food here or I don't eat properly. After a year of taking it, it stopped working. I started drinking again. I stopped logging my food. I started eating junk food.

Seriously, I HAVE TO LOG MY FOOD or I don't stick to eating healthy. And I hate logging my food, what a pain in the butt.

I have been back on Phen for three days after three days. It seems to be working again so far. Thank goodness!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I wouldn't advice using this drug. Doctors don't give it out anymore because it has such serious side effects and the weight loss results are not prominent anyway. Diarrhea and vomiting are pretty common and there are some very serious heart problems that occur. People's bodies become use to the drug (resistant) very quickly so it no longer affects your weight loss after a few months. I would say this drug is dangerous and would say don't take it. There are other routes for weight loss that are much more effective.

My regular doctor prescribes it for me. I used to get it from a doctor that specialized in nutrition and weight loss. It's a lot cheaper getting it from my regular doctor. I've talked to a lot of people online in phentermine forums and never heard anyone say anything about diarrhea or vomiting. The one symptom people all seem to have is dry mouth.
  • Junebuggyzy
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I used it for a while when you could order it online from Mexico or where ever. It works. But when I had to quit taking it, I gained it all back plus 15 pounds, 105 to 140, putting me the heaviest I'd ever been.

It was just a waste of money. And when I came off it, I had gallbladder problems. It may have been a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Stick to the caffeine, exercise, portion control, maybe some vitamin B12.

Good luck.

Anytime we go off a "diet" we tend to gain the weight back. Just saying. It's not just Phentermine that causes it. Look at Oprah.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

The choice is personal --and up to her and her physician.

And ordering drugs (especially controlled) on the internet from another country, etc. without a legitimate prescription isn't very wise because it's illegal/you don't know what you're actually getting and whether the active ingredient is REAL

In my case, I'm not sure it was illegal... Doctors offer their services online. It's just easier to attain. Insurance companies even pay for these visits.

Anyhow, it's no different than ordering Viagra online. Or my dogs heart worm medicine from another country, Sweden I think.

I'm not saying take Phentermine. Just all about the consumers options.

Hey...sorry! i was 'off my rockers' yesterday haha (not the best day)... i do know it's a controlled stimulant--i'm sure your fine tho...mine was prescribed by a doc at a weight loss clinic--i paid like 80 bucks for little book about nutrition and cals and stuff and a bottle of 30....it wasn't all that GR8 4 me either--like it's effects wore off and stuff and i don't even think i was really committed to losing weight at the time--which makes a big difference cause ur mindset has to be 100%...at best, i think it's somewhat effective as an aid for some who are at an obese bmi in the beginning but def. not long-term + increased side effects!

Hey no problem. I'm not sure how illegal it was. I had the script. But I know it wasn't on the up and up- which is why they cracked down on that type of stuff. I liked it. Made me happy. Just wasn't a smart thing to do. They do have a street value and should be controlled. That was 12-15 years ago though. Seems like yesterday... I'm old.

Be nice if there were a magic pill though.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I used it for a while when you could order it online from Mexico or where ever. It works. But when I had to quit taking it, I gained it all back plus 15 pounds, 105 to 140, putting me the heaviest I'd ever been.

It was just a waste of money. And when I came off it, I had gallbladder problems. It may have been a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Stick to the caffeine, exercise, portion control, maybe some vitamin B12.

Good luck.

Anytime we go off a "diet" we tend to gain the weight back. Just saying. It's not just Phentermine that causes it. Look at Oprah.

Ya that's probably true. I was dating a guy that ate out all the time and quit running to hang out with him. No way I was gonna not gain!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here is my experience..

Averaged 2-3 hours of broken sleep per night IF i was lucky. Even when i took it at 4am.
    Extreme constipation
    Complete personality change, eg depression, crying at the drop of a hat,argumentative,moody etc etc Pretty much the polar opposite of my normal personality. It would have destroyed my marriage had i continued taking it...
    Lack of concentration, driving a car was a struggle.

I can't think of any positive effects, i can't even remember if i lost weight in that time as it is all a blur in my head!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to hijack this but is coffee suggested for energy or does it suppress our appetite? Or both.. I just recently came to like coffee but have to either use chocolate creamer or my favorite is hot chocolate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack this but is coffee suggested for energy or does it suppress our appetite? Or both.. I just recently came to like coffee but have to either use chocolate creamer or my favorite is hot chocolate.

I'm 44 and only started drinking coffee recently, It does suppress my appetite when I've got the afternoon munchies and also gives me a boost of energy. Just make sure and log the stuff you add to it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »

I find that it supresses my appetite some (though maybe not as much as phentermine would!). I drink it black so it doesn't add appreciable calories. Flavored coffees also stave off cravings for sweets. If you're adding cream(ers) and sugar, make sure you're not putting yourself past your calorie goal with them.
  • jicashley90
    jicashley90 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I took phentermine for a 3 month period about 7 years ago after gaining a ton of weight with the Depo shot and it worked wonders for me. I think I lost right at 40lbs during that 3 month period and was able to get my body (and my mind