Frustrated to tears

Options
Have had Asthma for decades, bad knees for decades, and now high blood pressure. On meds for that, and been working with a personal trainer through work since January, have dropped 14 lbs or so. I have had so many firsts in that time. Was able to do a 100 situps, did 600 squats in one day, walking stairs. Monday I was actually able to jog for a full minute on the treadmill. (It's a huge accomplishment for me), last month I was able to show my show dog to a huge win.

The weight isn't coming off as fast (in fact went up a bit this summer) as the doctor wanted, so she prescribed an appetite suppressant. Then a work friend convinced me to try a boot camp with a Groupon.

First night I went was arms, and I got through the entire 45 mins without a problem, (On top of working out with the Personal Trainer earlier that day, so 90 mins of work-out). Yesterday was cardio, and I pushed myself. Was so pleased my bad knee wasn't bothering me, my bone spur that has hurt off and on ached, but wasn't bad. I had such pride and sense of accomplishment last night, that I actually did it, am doing it.

Until I got up this morning and can barely walk on that foot. SO damn frustrated I'm in tears ( well the pain doesn't help either). Makes me want to give up :(

And yeah, had shoes with cushion, they have worked out for the workout with my PT, but must not've been enough for the boot camp. :(

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal and how much are you eating everyday?
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have it set for 1500, and usually hit 1200-1500 a day.
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    I know a lot of the weight not going down is I have put on muscle, I am stronger now than I was,
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are hurting.

What is your main goal right now? It sounds like weight loss is a priority, but you have not mentioned diet. Instead, you are discussing exercise, which is not a bad thing but it will increase hunger for many.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    80% food, 20% exercise.

If you can't exercise don't push yourself to the point where you hurt yourself.

Yea if you only focus on your food intake you will be losing weight 20% slower, but if you end up hurting yourself and get so frustrated that you don't even track your food what is the point??

I lost the first 80 pounds I lost and did not do a minute of exercise. I am now adding exercise because I would like to be fitter. I too have horrible knees and foot issues that limit my exercise but I have been walking only for the last 3 weeks and lost 13 pounds. (I have a lot of weight to lose, to put this in perspective) I didn't do anything that has brought me pain and there is no need for that.

Once again you can do it without exercise but if you insist on working out I think you can find a low key form of exercise without being detrimental to your health and obviously well-being.
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I am sorry that you are hurting.

What is your main goal right now? It sounds like weight loss is a priority, but you have not mentioned diet. Instead, you are discussing exercise, which is not a bad thing but it will increase hunger for many.

It's actually lessened my appetite, although it may be the meds.

I'm having to force myself to eat dinner, as I am perfectly fine not eating right now.

I need to lose weight, I want to be able to show my dogs more. And I need to for my health, spent this morning looking at shoes. The sketchers I had worked fine for the work with the PT, but the jumping, ladders, mountain climbers last night just screwed my foot up badly.
  • Crazedtroll
    Crazedtroll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have bone spurs on my feet and plantar fasciitis. After spending a ton of money going to the doctor every 3 weeks, a friend convinced me to try essential oils. I apply at bedtime and first up in the morning. It has really helped. Spouse isn't into the oils, but applies icy hot or bengay at bedtime and in morning and has similar benefits. You might try one or the other. Especially if you're noticing soreness from exercise.
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    Spouse isn't into the oils, but applies icy hot or bengay at bedtime and in morning and has similar benefits. You might try one or the other. Especially if you're noticing soreness from exercise.

wasn't sure if icy hot or bengay would work, but will try that tonight, right now icing it. It's just frustrating, sa I had so much fun.

• riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So sorry! I went to the YMCA once for a session with a PT. I told him I only wanted to do no weights or free weights. (I was 100 pounds overweight at that time, had severe hypothyroidism, hbp, and was sedentary.) He kept pressuring me non stop to use the machines. I couldn't work at all for 3 days (my wrists were on fire so no computer work) and no amount of ice and Advil would help the all the time aching pain.

This is temporary! Rest Rest Rest and and then go back to what worked for you! Don't give up!!! Congratulations for your minute on the treadmill! :)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is temporary. Don't count out exercise altogether based on this one event. Rest, get better, and find something that works for you. The more you go, the more you'll learn about what you can do.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're pushing way too hard and you're going to hurt yourself more. 600 squats? Check out the New Rules of Lifting book by Lol Schuler. My favorite workouts are in his Lean Muscle book. It's three workouts a week about 45 min each. You have to rest those muscles between workouts. Also are you eating enough protein? One gram per pound of body weight?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're pushing way too hard and you're going to hurt yourself more. 600 squats? Check out the New Rules of Lifting book by Lol Schuler. My favorite workouts are in his Lean Muscle book. It's three workouts a week about 45 min each. You have to rest those muscles between workouts. Also are you eating enough protein? One gram per pound of body weight?

I agree with this. 600 squats is excessive. Moderation is best even with fitness
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    Sounds like you're pushing way too hard and you're going to hurt yourself more. 600 squats?

It was a matter of seeing just how many I could do. Didn't do them all at once, was 25-50 interval :) We had a contest at work with teams, and each repetition counted for squats, pushups and stairs. My team won, as we stuck it out til the end lOL :)

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    mielikkibz wrote: »
    Sounds like you're pushing way too hard and you're going to hurt yourself more. 600 squats?

It was a matter of seeing just how many I could do. Didn't do them all at once, was 25-50 interval :) We had a contest at work with teams, and each repetition counted for squats, pushups and stairs. My team won, as we stuck it out til the end lOL :)

Regardless, it sounds like you are pushing yourself too hard too fast. You have knee problems and bone spurs. What kind of cardio were you doing? Was it something low impact for those areas?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am with everyone else--it's better to begin small and then SLOWLY ramp it up. I have a lady on my friends list, with alot to lose. She does the same as you, all gung ho and does too much, and then is out for at least a month at a time. This is counterproductive. Ramp that enthusiasum back--you'll get there. Concentrate on diet, with light exercise for now.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    First off, it definitely sounds like you're pushing your limits. I'd set a max of about 60-minutes of intense work outs per day. No more. Focus on what you're eating. Change up the macros a little, try something new. Focus on feeling better and getting your body healthy. Fitness is a journey. It takes patience, and dedication. It takes time.

Secondly, I can completely relate to what you're feeling. I have Lupus and on top of that have a fully reconstructed left foot (that actually needs an additional surgical repair within the year). Most days, the Lupus doesn't do much but make me feel exhausted which I've learned to push through daily but the foot thing is where I begin to get frustrated. Some days are okay (mostly summertime) and I can do my regular routine, run without the implant popping out and only have a basic ache. Other days, I literally limp around the gym and have been known to throw weights because I get so annoyed that I can't do the same exact weight of a certain exercise (for example, this week I had to squat max at 160 lbs. even though I know I'm fully capable of doing 200 lbs.) Just breathe in. Breathe out. Relax.

Wanna know what someone told me that helped?

I was asked, "Would you rather push your body to the extreme today just to hit that new personal record and hurt yourself to the point of no return, or take it slightly easier today and be able to continue this fitness journey that you're so dedicated to?"
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    mielikkibz wrote: »

Regardless, it sounds like you are pushing yourself too hard too fast. You have knee problems and bone spurs. What kind of cardio were you doing? Was it something low impact for those areas?

The PT doesn't really believe in cardio, thus why I went to the boot camp. Surprisingly, the knees are not bothering me at all (YEAH!), just the damn bone spur. Wed was jumping jacks, hurdles, stars (that was a new one for me), ladders, mountain climbers (as I can't do donkey kicks). And I did squats in place of burpees. I know what I can't handle with my knees.

I am picking up new shoes, in case that was the problem. And am going to avoid cardio at boot camp, will do the other days (they rotate things, one day arms, one day legs, one day cardio, and not sure on the others)