Fitness Training... a rant...

Options

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    how bizzare...I thought I just bumped this a moment ago:laugh: :laugh: must of been a mental bump?:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    it is the only one you didnt bump up. I really need to re read all of these.

• psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    bump? :drinker: :blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :love:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :drinker:
  • psyknife
    Options
    *sneeze* :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This is great information for those of us who are new to the site and trying to reach our goals. I am definitely going to add Yoga at least one day per week to increase flexibility! Thanks for the tips!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    So psyknife, just a question. Are you channeling Banks now??? Great post! I printed it off. Thanks for the time you put into this - great job!
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Preach it, sister!

I'm a little into my 40's now and do know how important weight training is. However, I am a little duanted about going over into the "boys area" of the gym as I call it. I use Nautilus and the other machines a lot, but am a little uncertain about tackling free weights. Do you use free weights? (if so...) How did you develop a good program for using them?

(I do have a couple sets of medium dumbbells at home but only use them for about 4 or 5 types of lifts)
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    :drinker:
  • psyknife
    Options
    Are you channeling Banks now???
    I don't know who Banks is... but if that's a good thing... then, YES ;)
    Do you use free weights? (if so...) How did you develop a good program for using them?
    I do use free weights. I actually started by doing a home fitness program called Power 90. It gave me a good intro to working out w/weights and w/cardio and got me into the routine. From there I tried other home video products, including P90X, which REALLY taught me about lifting. These videos got me totally interested in learning more, so I certified in various group fitness formats and have attended many seminars and workshops on many different areas of fitness. I'm studying to be a personal trainer now.
    BUT, those videos were an EXCELLENT starting point for me, when it came to weights. They were designed REALLY well!
    I'm now doing a program called ChaLEAN Extreme which is a whole new way of lifting (slow and heavy) for me, and I'm really diggin' it! :)
    Granted, I know enough now that I could create my own routine... but I'm so busy creating stuff for my group fitness classes that when it comes to my own workouts it's nice to have a layout ready and waiting for me. Of course, my research will continue, as will my practice, but I know I'll be doing this for the rest of my life! :)

When using free weights it's very important to learn proper form and function. The good thing about weight machines is that they help with the stabilization... the bad thing is that they usually only focus on a single body part, making it hard to get a full workout in w/o doing at least an hour. The thing I love about free weights is that you can work more than one muscle group at a time... so you can pack a punch in less amount of time... however, using free weights requires much more stability and core strength... so having a good understanding of your abilities in those areas is definitely a help :) Practice makes perfect! If using free weights, definitely use a mirror when you are lifting, especially if just starting out (once you've been doing it a while and know what proper form feels like you may not need a mirror 24/7)... it'll help you see your form and then make adjustments where needed.

If looking for routines... there are lots of websites with routines, a lot of health and fitness magazines have routines printed in them on a monthly basis (and most of them aren't too shabby)... and fitness videos are another way to go! If you want more specific recommendations let me know and I can help the best I can (and I'm sure other people can throw in too).

Alrighty, it's my bedtime now!
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    Bumping this AWESOMELY WONDERFUL post! :flowerforyou: GREAT INFO!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Bumping this AWESOMELY WONDERFUL post! :flowerforyou: GREAT INFO!
    what she said!:laugh: :tongue:
  • psyknife
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • pettyone
    pettyone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the rant! Excellent post! Needs to be "stickied"...
    :happy:
  • psyknife
    Options
    Thank you :blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options