Frustrated to tears

Options

Replies

• mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are simply pushing too hard. Pushing to the point of injury or pain is counterproductive. Weight loss is about calories.

yes, I understand that, but need muscle to replace some of this fat, in order to make myself healthier. I would like to get off the BP meds and hopefully lesson the asthma as well as strengthen my heart. You can lose weight and still not be healthy :p
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    Secondly, I can completely relate to what you're feeling. I have Lupus and on top of that have a fully reconstructed left foot (that actually needs an additional surgical repair within the year). Most days, the Lupus doesn't do much but make me feel exhausted which I've learned to push through daily but the foot thing is where I begin to get frustrated. Some days are okay (mostly summertime) and I can do my regular routine, run without the implant popping out and only have a basic ache. Other days, I literally limp around the gym and have been known to throw weights because I get so annoyed that I can't do the same exact weight of a certain exercise (for example, this week I had to squat max at 160 lbs. even though I know I'm fully capable of doing 200 lbs.) Just breathe in. Breathe out. Relax.

Wanna know what someone told me that helped?

I was asked, "Would you rather push your body to the extreme today just to hit that new personal record and hurt yourself to the point of no return, or take it slightly easier today and be able to continue this fitness journey that you're so dedicated to?"

Thank you. I took yesterday off, from both the PT trainer and the boot camp. As my PT trainer told me, I push myself too hard, but that's how I am in life. I felt like such a bum for not working out at all yesterday. Funny, I went from hating the gym in January to feeling like a failure for not hitting it LOL

Taking it easy til Monday, most exercise I will do this weekend is walking. Guess the big frustration is
    1) trying the diet route was not working well, I seemed to've been stuck at this weight for months.
    2) proof that i'm getting old and am broke, that i can't do everything i want to do.
    3) that I found the boot camp fun, but can't do part of it.

I want to be able to show my own dogs again, can't do it if i'm broke :P

Hopefully the new shoes will help. I know things could be worse. At least the knees are not hurting, which is a biggie for me :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're pushing way too hard and you're going to hurt yourself more. 600 squats? Check out the New Rules of Lifting book by Lol Schuler. My favorite workouts are in his Lean Muscle book. It's three workouts a week about 45 min each. You have to rest those muscles between workouts. Also are you eating enough protein? One gram per pound of body weight?

I agree with this. 600 squats is excessive. Moderation is best even with fitness

600 squats is a warm up surely?!?!
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you would benefit from being a little kinder to yourself. You can do exercise but it's not worth wiping yourself out over. If you like boot camp, go do boot camp. Just give yourself permission to ease off and modify.

I have moderate asthma and used to do Insanity classes. There were a couple of moves I could just not do, I got too breathless and uncomfortable. So I took the modifier, slowed it down, concentrated on breathing. The calories still get burned, the muscles still get exerted.

You can do what you want to do, but you have to build up to it :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Were you wearing running shoes or specifically cross trainers? It's important to wear the right kind of shoe, not just that they are cushioned.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Clearly you did too much, but sometimes we learn that only the hard way. :s I have also learned that, with pain, what works one day might not work the next. I understand that it can be very frustrating, we just have to trial and error with our (finicky) bods!
  • nsanati19
    nsanati19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that! I appreciate your honesty... I think an important part of any exercise program is doing as much as possible without over-doing it, so that you stick with it... Long-term dedication and compliance with an exercise program is what we are ultimately looking for, so balance is very important. Also keep in mind that "plateauing" when trying to lose weight is very common, so just don't give up!
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    mielikkibz wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're pushing way too hard and you're going to hurt yourself more. 600 squats?

It was a matter of seeing just how many I could do. Didn't do them all at once, was 25-50 interval :) We had a contest at work with teams, and each repetition counted for squats, pushups and stairs. My team won, as we stuck it out til the end lOL :)

Regardless, it sounds like you are pushing yourself too hard too fast. You have knee problems and bone spurs. What kind of cardio were you doing? Was it something low impact for those areas?

The PT doesn't really believe in cardio, thus why I went to the boot camp. Surprisingly, the knees are not bothering me at all (YEAH!), just the damn bone spur. Wed was jumping jacks, hurdles, stars (that was a new one for me), ladders, mountain climbers (as I can't do donkey kicks). And I did squats in place of burpees. I know what I can't handle with my knees.

I am picking up new shoes, in case that was the problem. And am going to avoid cardio at boot camp, will do the other days (they rotate things, one day arms, one day legs, one day cardio, and not sure on the others)

I've been battling posterior tibial tendonitis in my left foot for about a year. Some times it hurts so bad I would yelp in pain getting up from a chair. I had to stop running the short distances we do in Crossfit, mostly only 250-400 meters. I've had plantar fasciitis in the past from kickboxing and that flared up as well. There could be some little adjustments that might help. One thing I've been doing is carrying a backpack instead of a purse. I got this injury from moving to a city and going from driving everywhere to walking 5 miles or more on a daily basis, dragging my fat *kitten* around, leaning to one side with a purse. I've noticed that evening out my body weight with a backpack helps so I would recommend addressing any body gate imbalances if you can. I've also started taking some high potency turmeric supplements that contain black pepper and ginger extracts for higher bioavailability. Great for inflammation! I still have days when it really feels painful but no more extreme pain or shuffling around. I've been able to do the short runs again. I totally feel your pain because dealing with something chronic like this really eats away at your mental state. Good luck!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I had such pride and sense of accomplishment last night, that I actually did it, am doing it.

haven't read the replies so i may be redundant. but i just wanted to say that you did do it and you are doing it. running into things that show you should maybe adjust or modify doesn't negate that.

you're still doing it.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    hope516 wrote: »
    80% food, 20% exercise.

Nope! It's 100% calorie deficit. One does not need to do any exercise or movement and can still lose weight.

Obviously if you can exercise, it's a bonus.

Agreed with this right here. I have lost weight without exercise (after I messed up my foot running).

If the 'diet' wasn't working out, perhaps you need to reevaluate it? If one is in a calorie deficit, they will lose weight without exercise.

Get a digital food scale and start weighing everything that isn't a pure liquid, and by everything, I mean cooking oils, recipe/salad/sandwich components, prepackaged items (can be off by about 20%), butters and salad dressings, fruits and veg....everything that cannot be poured such as booze, stock, juice, soda.... Log food and beverages accurately and consistently (double check nutrition information in the mfp food database with your food packaging.) Do this without missing a day for the next month or so. For calories, set your mfp diet profile to sedentary. If you have over 50lbs to lose, set to lose 2lbs per week, if you have less than 50lbs to lose, aim for a 1lb per week loss. 30lbs or less go for half a pound loss per week.

You've got this..

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm a 5' 3.5" female, and i lose weight with the calories you said you're eating. i do resistance training and walk for exercise, less than you. unless you're under 5' (and maybe even then) with all your exercise you'd be losing insanely fast unless you have a thyroid issue or you're mistaken about the number of calories you're eating. or unless you have some pretty mega cheat days/meals.

so the big questions -

do you actually weigh (not measure) and accurately log your food (which means finding an accurate listing for EVERYTHING you eat in the database)?

have you had your thyroid checked recently?
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Off topic, my daughter used to show her Afghan hound, now sadly passed away. What breed do you show?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Consider if one of your animals was limping. Would you insist it push it through, or would you work on rehabilitation first?

The same analogy applies to losing weight. To get a show dog get to ideal shape, you'd control the diet. A little romping around wouldn't hurt.

When it comes to exercise, make sure you are having fun.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    I had to step away quick. I can't do a whole lot either. I do 20min on treadmill or bike, 2 sets of ten on machines (3 of them) & go swim. I love to swim. easy on joints. After that i feel like I did a real work out, lol, but it works for me
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Off topic, my daughter used to show her Afghan hound, now sadly passed away. What breed do you show?

Borzoi :)

I ordered new shoes last night, and have taken it easy, worked out with the PT yesterday, but am forgoing today as I'm sick ;P Will rest this weekend and try again next week.

• mielikkibz
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

When it comes to exercise, make sure you are having fun.

That's the thing, I was having fun LOL
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have ongoing issues with plantar fasciitis and a heel spur, I get good relief from physio therapy as well as the use of a sock similar to the The Strassburg Sock, it helps anytime I know I have over done it and will pay in the morning. I roll my foot over a frozen water bottle and use the sock at night, makes in managable.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Maybe just try some lower intensity cardio if you wanna do extra, go for a long walk, the elliptical or bike. That wont be too taxing on the body if you just wanna burn some extra calories
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Maybe just try some lower intensity cardio if you wanna do extra, go for a long walk, the elliptical or bike. That wont be too taxing on the body if you just wanna burn some extra calories

This time of year, walking is out of the question, and I just find the elliptical and bike BORING :P Going to go back on Monday and just not do the cardio, and see what happens.