Space

Replies

• zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    I think it's interesting that the moon has a stronger influence on the tides even though the sun is larger. It's also interesting that people studying this stuff think there could be a correlation between tidal distress, the moon and triggering of earthquakes. It's not a matter of if an earthquake strikes where I live, it's just a matter of when living on the West Coast. What if space could help predict when Earthquakes were going to happen.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tide.html

It is interesting! :smile: I guess because it's so much closer than the sun? (Albeit much smaller). Cool page though :smile:

Look what I just found. MARSQUAKES!!! All caps is excitement, not yelling at the top of my lungs in anger about earthquakes.

http://www.space.com/418-marsquakes-red-planet-rumble.html

Science rocks my world.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    zenaxe wrote: »
    And there's the thing, I'm a telescope hobbyist...am I the only one on the planet who has not actually observed the Milky Way Galaxy in the way that some pictures capture it? Even with dark skies. I'm doing it wrong but would love to see it. y
    Because reality does not match the picture they paint for us?

Now we're getting philosophical. It depends what you mean by "reality." If reality is what you can see with your eyes and nothing else, then it's exactly this. People are showing you something, but it's not reality. On the other hand, if your eyes are one way to perceive reality among many, then that's why.

It's like waterfall photos. They look smooth and silky, but waterfalls look rough and frothy. Which one is "correct?" They both are, on different time scales.

In reality with dark skies, the Milky Way is plenty visible to the naked eye, but human eyes are less sensitive than a good camera with a good lens.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    edited November 2016
    I think it's interesting that the moon has a stronger influence on the tides even though the sun is larger. It's also interesting that people studying this stuff think there could be a correlation between tidal distress, the moon and triggering of earthquakes. It's not a matter of if an earthquake strikes where I live, it's just a matter of when living on the West Coast. What if space could help predict when Earthquakes were going to happen.

Maybe they could just stop fracking.

Yes because there was never an earthquake before fracking. lol

The findings of the Unites States Geological Survey, under "induced eartquakes."

"Between the years 1973–2008, there was an average of 21 earthquakes of magnitude three and larger in the central and eastern United States. This rate has ballooned to over 600 M3+ earthquakes in 2014 and over 1000 in 2015. Through August 2016, over 500 M3+ earthquakes have occurred in 2016."

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/

"They don't blame it on fracking, they blame it on injected wastewater, some of which is done during fracking.

So what you are saying is that even if we stop fracking, we will continue to have earthquakes right? Also, would you agree that earthquakes occurred before fracking?

EDIT: Even the site you quoted that from states that it is a myth. You can pick and choose what information you choose to support an argument. Because that's well...psuedo-science. Wastewater disposal occurs even with regular oil production so stopping fracking won't do a damn thing.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php

First, please note that I did say that matter of fact, here is me quoting myself (did you read that part?)

"They don't blame it on fracking, they blame it on injected wastewater, some of which is done during fracking."

The point is, wastewater injection happens during fracking. If they stop fracking, they reduce the wastewater injection. Makes sense?

In addition, yet another quote:

Hydraulic fracturing drives earthquakes in western Canada, according to research published Thursday in Science. The results defy the often-touted belief that the disposal of wastewater is the sole source of man-made earthquakes with fossil fuel extraction technique.

The small earthquakes “were always during or right after fracking, and they’re also confined to a limited area,” University of Calgary geophysicist, and co-author of the research paper David Eaton told NewsHour. Before fracking, the sparsely populated area in Alberta, Canada did not have a history of seismic activity."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/rundown/earthquakes-triggered-by-fracking
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    zenaxe wrote: »
    And there's the thing, I'm a telescope hobbyist...am I the only one on the planet who has not actually observed the Milky Way Galaxy in the way that some pictures capture it? Even with dark skies. I'm doing it wrong but would love to see it. y
    Because reality does not match the picture they paint for us?

Now we're getting philosophical. It depends what you mean by "reality." If reality is what you can see with your eyes and nothing else, then it's exactly this. People are showing you something, but it's not reality. On the other hand, if your eyes are one way to perceive reality among many, then that's why.

It's like waterfall photos. They look smooth and silky, but waterfalls look rough and frothy. Which one is "correct?" They both are, on different time scales.

In reality with dark skies, the Milky Way is plenty visible to the naked eye, but human eyes are less sensitive than a good camera with a good lens.

Ohh, that is philosophical. It reminds me of that ghost-like photo you took of yourself in the cabin.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    The Earth’s revolution time increases .0001 seconds annually.
  • cee134
    xa1h3zt17en4.png

Uranus was originally called “George’s Star”.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    edited November 2016

The findings of the Unites States Geological Survey, under "induced eartquakes."

"Between the years 1973–2008, there was an average of 21 earthquakes of magnitude three and larger in the central and eastern United States. This rate has ballooned to over 600 M3+ earthquakes in 2014 and over 1000 in 2015. Through August 2016, over 500 M3+ earthquakes have occurred in 2016."

"They don't blame it on fracking, they blame it on injected wastewater, some of which is done during fracking.

So what you are saying is that even if we stop fracking, we will continue to have earthquakes right? Also, would you agree that earthquakes occurred before fracking?

EDIT: Even the site you quoted that from states that it is a myth. You can pick and choose what information you choose to support an argument. Because that's well...psuedo-science. Wastewater disposal occurs even with regular oil production so stopping fracking won't do a damn thing.

First, please note that I did say that matter of fact, here is me quoting myself (did you read that part?)

"They don't blame it on fracking, they blame it on injected wastewater, some of which is done during fracking."

The point is, wastewater injection happens during fracking. If they stop fracking, they reduce the wastewater injection. Makes sense?

Hydraulic fracturing drives earthquakes in western Canada, according to research published Thursday in Science. The results defy the often-touted belief that the disposal of wastewater is the sole source of man-made earthquakes with fossil fuel extraction technique.

The small earthquakes “were always during or right after fracking, and they’re also confined to a limited area,” University of Calgary geophysicist, and co-author of the research paper David Eaton told NewsHour. Before fracking, the sparsely populated area in Alberta, Canada did not have a history of seismic activity."

Except the original post was "It's not a matter of if an earthquake strikes where I live, it's just a matter of when living on the West Coast. What if space could help predict when Earthquakes were going to happen." to which you replied "Maybe they could just stop fracking."

Even if we stopped fracking there would still be earthquakes so it's a completely moot point. Earthquakes occurred long before fracking, they will continue to occur long after fracking. Do you disagree with this statement?

We focused on different things.

In the post, they also stated, "It's also interesting that people studying this stuff think there could be a correlation between tidal distress, the moon and triggering of earthquakes.

Eathquakes did occur before fracking and would still occur after it. I agree with that statement.

Going from 21 to 1000 magnitude 3 or higher earthquakes is a huge jump. That's more than a 4700% increase in just a few years. So if they stopped inducing earthquakes through fracking and wastewater injection, people would have to deal with a lot less earthquakes, would you agree?
  • cee134
    As space has no gravity, normal pens won’t work.
  • NorthCascades
    Even if we stopped fracking there would still be earthquakes so it's a completely moot point. Earthquakes occurred long before fracking, they will continue to occur long after fracking. Do you disagree with this statement?

But fracking seams to cause moar earthquakes. Like how there are car crashes, but drunk people driving cars makes it worse. Or like how any one of us could get killed any minute from a grand piano falling out of the sky, but it's especially dangerous at a piano toss. Anyway, making things less dangerous is usually good, that's why you don't juggle cats.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    cee134 wrote: »

Isn't that a joke I heard somewhere? Americans spent millions developing a pen that writes in space. The Russians used a pencil.
  • thisonetimeatthegym

Cee134 - have you tried angry birds space edition?

An astronaut explains the science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deAcVKv5_2I
  • thisonetimeatthegym

Except the original post was "It's not a matter of if an earthquake strikes where I live, it's just a matter of when living on the West Coast. What if space could help predict when Earthquakes were going to happen." to which you replied "Maybe they could just stop fracking."

In the post, they also stated, "It's also interesting that people studying this stuff think there could be a correlation between tidal distress, the moon and triggering of earthquakes.

Eathquakes did occur before fracking and would still occur after it. I agree with that statement.

Going from 21 to 1000 magnitude 3 or higher earthquakes is a huge jump. That's more than a 4700% increase in just a few years. So if they stopped inducing earthquakes through fracking and wastewater injection, people would have to deal with a lot less earthquakes, would you agree?

No I don't agree. You posted two sites that basically contradict each other. One says fracking is not the cause, the other says it is. So I guess it depends on which one you believe but until it is proven to me otherwise, it's just a bunch of psuedo-science.

Both agree humans trigger earthquakes, and the process involved in fracking induces them. One says the matter is the wastewater used, the other says it's both the wastewater used and the fracking itself.

Either way, this is man-made, induced earthquakes. If we stopped inducing them, there would be less earthquakes.

But you don't see that and that's okay. I realize people's perception is different.

5t7pdgv5hmlf.jpg

• cee134

Cee134 - have you tried angry birds space edition?

An astronaut explains the science:

I've played it once or twice. Right now I'm focusing on how to become half way decent at chess.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    xa1h3zt17en4.png

Uranus was originally called “George’s Star”.

That's cool. I just read that a German astronomer wanted it changed for conformity reasons. So if Herschel discovered the planet and named it, how come it got renamed? Did he consent to the change or have no control over it? My first thought was because it had the word star in it.

It would be nice to have had better name than uranus. Didn’t they think about kids in fifth grade learning this?

Sperm whale, another example.
  • thisonetimeatthegym

No I don't agree. You posted two sites that basically contradict each other. One says fracking is not the cause, the other says it is. So I guess it depends on which one you believe but until it is proven to me otherwise, it's just a bunch of psuedo-science.

I would just like to clarify with my use of the word triggering. I did not mean with man made earthquakes. I was talking about the moons influence on the tides and natural occurring earthquakes. Fracking for petroleum wasn't even a thought.

Boom! Moot point.

Only in your world did that require such elation.

Or maybe I am just too calm all the time.

Either way, enjoy your day!
  • cee134
    edited November 2016
    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

~ Jack Handey.
  • NorthCascades
    Sperm whale, another example.

Horny toad.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    edited November 2016
    ;)

I would just like to clarify with my use of the word triggering. I did not mean with man made earthquakes. I was talking about the moons influence on the tides and natural occurring earthquakes. Fracking for petroleum wasn't even a thought.

Boom! Moot point.

Only in your world did that require such elation.

Or maybe I am just too calm all the time.

Either way, enjoy your day!

"Well actually, we are always parting ways and not parting ways in every conceivable combination. Many physicists, including Stephen Hawking, now believe that there is an infinite number of universes — it's called multiverse theory — and it suggests that there are an infinite number of universes in which it did not require such elation."

And what does that have to do with the dog pee on the curtains.

I posted the video, remember. ;)

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Anyone try reading and understanding the EmDrive propulsion report releases this last week? The leaked stuff has started a buzz again and there is a lot more chatter now that NASA finally officially released the findings.

If you are a physics person I am sure you already know, but I have been trying to follow this since it was present. Parsing through the data and such now myself, though I understand very little of the higher level technical stuff.

• zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member

But fracking seams to cause moar earthquakes. Like how there are car crashes, but drunk people driving cars makes it worse. Or like how any one of us could get killed any minute from a grand piano falling out of the sky, but it's especially dangerous at a piano toss. Anyway, making things less dangerous is usually good, that's why you don't juggle cats.

Truth be told i have never seen a cat juggle but i have seen a horse fly and a cigar box so....