Did you get rid of your bigger clothes?

124»

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    chriskalen wrote: »
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I have kept many of my old clothes. Historically, for me, not having big enough clothing has never been the reason that I stay on track. My motivations for keeping weight off are not related to not having clothes to wear - I love shopping, so when I've gained weight in the past, I've just bought bigger clothes.

A caveat: I did go through all of my bigger clothes before putting them away, and I got rid of any clothes that were worn out, or that I didn't really like anymore. But when I was heavier, I had a lot of super cute dresses and tops that I loved and that in some cases were expensive, so I kept those. I am committed to being my current size or smaller. But you just never know: even if I were meticulous about maintaining, something could happen that could cause me to gain: if I were to get pregnant and it took me a while to lose that weight, or if something health-related (a medication or something) caused me to gain weight, I would be SO SAD that I had both gained weight AND tossed my favorite bigger clothes.

I agree with part of your statement. I was a size 5x for so many years and I have/had a lot of clothing that I hate to get rid of. However, everytime I go shopping I make myself give away at least the same amount of clothing that is too big. I love to shop, so i know no matter what I will always shop. Many of my blouses are too big so I wear them as if they were made to fall of the shoulder. I am slowing down on shopping though, as i am still losing weight and just about every time I go shopping I have gone down a size. I even have a bunch of brand new clothes and shoes that are too big that I am going to try to sell to someone else.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Yes. I altered a lot of them. I saved a bunch for a year as 'Saturday clothes'. But they just looked lousy on me (I lost 40 pounds). I started buying one new thing a month and mixing it up with accessories. I look a LOT better in thinner clothes. Everyone once in a while now I pull out something old I saved because I thought it fit 'well enough'. And it looks lousy. I stick them in the 'give away box'. It's been four years!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Yep they're all gone, some I gave away, some to charity and some I sold on Ebay :smile:
  • Abkuroneko
    Abkuroneko Posts: 230 Member
    I started at 350 lbs and am currently sitting at 220 lbs. So I've lost 130 lbs so far and I still have a bunch more to go and I've gone from a size 26+ to a size 16. Unlike a lot of the people here I never had any smaller clothes in my closet to shop from, so I've had to buy clothes from places like Savers and Goodwill. When I first went down a size or two, I held on to my old clothes with a death grip. I had been over 300 lbs my entire adult life and was so afraid of gaining it all back. Then I finally boxed those all up and put them in my living room with every intention to donate them. Except I never actually donated them. The boxes are all still sitting in the corner of my living room, and as I've gone down even more sizes, I've keep adding to the boxes. So now I have this overflowing pile of boxes in my living room with 10 sizes worth of clothes that I swear I mean to donate, I just haven't. I planned to finally get rid of them once and for all Veteran's Day Weekend because I had off. But my sisters, who are coming to visit this upcoming week for the Holidays, asked me if I'd wait because they wanted to go through the clothes first to see if they want anything from it. So wish me luck for getting rid of them after Thanksgiving!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Hi--I first posted this in the general weight loss section, but wanted to include it here, too.

I'm 43, female, and I've yo-yoed a few times over the years, going between 120 and 158 lbs. With my current weight loss (at 137 currently, down from 153), I'm feelintg fairly optimistic that I can reach my goal weight of 125 (range +/- a few lbs) and more importantly, maintain it using MFP combined with 16/8 IF. This weight loss effort just feels different, like I've finally figured it out!

However, I find myself having trouble getting rid of my bigger sized clothes that no longer fit me. I've always kept a range of sizes "just in case", and especially for those years when I was having babies with the weight gain and slow postpartum weight loss. But I'm finished having babies, and have a well-laid out plan for weight loss and maintainance. So should I go ahead and just get rid of the bigger clothes now? Or wait until I'm at my goal and see how maintainance goes for a while first? Will keeping them just be a crutch, "allowing" me to get lazy and gain it back?

I'm curious what others have done. Did you feel better tossing the big clothes? Or did you keep them "just in case"?

I gave mine to a few different charities, my suits went to a college program for students who just finished school but couldn't afford a suit for job interviews. The rest went to random charities.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    I kept my larger sized clothes because I am planning on having another baby and want to have clothes that fit post pregnancy.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,373 Member
    I donated to GW. I'm done. I was thinking I wanted to loose another 10# my body says NO. It keeps on maintaining the same weight. I might try IF. I'm scheduled for Lipo. To get rid of the old complacent fat deposits on the abdomen
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Yep. I had a good clear out of my old clothes. Not going back to that size again!
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    No because I can't be bothered to use my spare time to clean the house. But amvets is coming wednesday so i'll at least get rid of a chunk
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    I got rid of pants when they were two sizes too big, they just started looking awful. And when I put my phone in my pocket, I had to hold them up. I put most items in the ToGo box but have given away some nicer items to ladies I know who can benefit. One of my friend's was very happy to get some Victoria's Secret bras.

We moved last year into a smaller house (just 720 square feet.) Our policy is always "one in, one out." My son called me one day and told me he bought a new coffee cup at GW, and proceeded to tell me which one he'd get rid of!