What was your rock bottom to get heathly?

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Getting unexpected blood test results that showed I had a glucose number in the pre-diabetic range. Lost a grandfather to type 2, have two uncles who have it and my grandma's quality of life is rapidly declining due to complications from it. They're also all overweight/obese. Knew where I was heading and decided to try and control my glucose by losing the extra weight. Fast forward a few years, and 50lbs lost-glucose number is now consistently under 100, my cholesterol is great, blood pressure great, no health problems or medications and my doctor is pretty geeked about the whole thing :) I'm in maintenance now and have figured out how to do things in a realistic and sustainable way for me, that I can do for the next 40+ years.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    A bunch of really bad blood work at my 38 year checkup...basically the doctor frankly told me that if I didn't change some things, I'd be really lucky not to be very sick, if not dead in my fifties or early sixties. I wasn't grossly overweight or anything...just really unhealthy at the time.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a "rock bottom" moment, but I did have a moment that precipitated my weight loss.

I was drifting, midway up the "overweight" bracket, knowing I should lose weight, but not finding the impetus to start.

Then I got flu. Proper flu with a high fever, not a bad cold, and it completely killed my appetite, so once I started to recover, I decided not to try to build up my appetite to normal levels, not to eat sweet things for a quick energy boost, but to struggle through the recovery period, and use it to kick start a weight loss campaign.

It worked pretty well in that I avoided that hunger that can come when you deliberately drop calories, as in the first week or two, I had virtually no appetite. I felt very post-virally tired, and possibly that period was slightly lengthened by the calorie-reduction, but I can't really tell.

My appetite increased as I recovered, but by then, I had got myself into a routine of what to eat to lose weight at a steady rate.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My family wanted to have an "intervention" about my weight.

Heck, I was fine with not fitting through the bathroom door and getting winded walking to my room.
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    magdaurb wrote: »
    My ex, who had cheated on me three times with three different women.

I had zero confidence, and knew it stemmed from the fact that I wasn't comfortable in my own skin; however, I had the power to make the change.

Although it was challenging at the beginning to get into the groove of things, seeing the change in the mirror/photos, clothing, and being able to kick *kitten* at certain things I wasn't capable of doing at the beginning... those rewards are so significant and truly do make you STRONGER.

It is also fabulous to slam the door on an ex who comes crawling back, because you know you deserve more (due to what you have learned to accomplish).

Good luck!

Ouch! But awesome!
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    I didn't have a "rock bottom" moment, but I did have a moment that precipitated my weight loss.

I was drifting, midway up the "overweight" bracket, knowing I should lose weight, but not finding the impetus to start.

Then I got flu. Proper flu with a high fever, not a bad cold, and it completely killed my appetite, so once I started to recover, I decided not to try to build up my appetite to normal levels, not to eat sweet things for a quick energy boost, but to struggle through the recovery period, and use it to kick start a weight loss campaign.

It worked pretty well in that I avoided that hunger that can come when you deliberately drop calories, as in the first week or two, I had virtually no appetite. I felt very post-virally tired, and possibly that period was slightly lengthened by the calorie-reduction, but I can't really tell.

My appetite increased as I recovered, but by then, I had got myself into a routine of what to eat to lose weight at a steady rate.
    I once lost 60 lbs the exact same way. That was 10 years ago and over time it came back on.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I once lost 60 lbs the exact same way. That was 10 years ago and over time it came back on.

Yes, that will be the hard bit, I know. Making sure it doesn't all pile back on. But heck, getting rid of this now is better than drifting along and then finding I'm pushing towards the "obese" category in a year's time.

But finding that moment that pushes you into action can be hard. I have tried to start a couple of times over recent years, but just not been in quite the right frame of mind. It took an non-weight-related illness to kick me into gear.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,236 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a rock bottom thing for me.

I gain weight when my life is unsettled (medical problems and moving) and I lose weight or maintain when I'm settled.

I have been slender most of my life but between 2009 and January 2015, there was a lot of moving and several medical problems (DVT, surgeries, etc.). I did lose weight any time things settled a bit during those years which kept things from getting too out of hand, and had once again lost weight over Christmas 2014 ... but hit my highest weight ever after a pair of unrelated surgeries in January 2015.

I have used calorie tracking programs before, so I looked around for one that would be slightly easier to use and people recommended MFP. I joined in February 2015, after I had recovered from the surgeries ... and lost the weight.

It helped that there was no moving and no medical issues during the weeks when I was losing the weight. :)

And I've been maintaining for a year now.
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    For me it wasn't even that fact that I was 3 pounds away from breaking 400.. it was the day I found a sore in one of the fat folds on my thigh. That's what did it.

I'm happy to say that 10 months and 130 pounds lighter that fat fold and sore and long gone.

Wow, awesome job!
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    JeffreyOC wrote: »
    Not fitting on a roller coaster, it was the most most embarrassing thing ever.

• chrissjourney
    Options
    My niece telling me that I must scare people with me going outside. It still stings even though. But she saved my life

Dang. My little nephew told me "I bet no one can pick you up"
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    My family wanted to have an "intervention" about my weight.

Heck, I was fine with not fitting through the bathroom door and getting winded walking to my room.

Well something worked :)
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    It wasn't a bottom that changed it for me. I had lots of potential rock bottom moments but didn't change anything, really.

It was actually a high that did it for me. It was a weekend that I spend having a blast with some great, accepting people and cheering them on in a half/full marathon that made me realize I wanted to accomplish things like that too. I had a heart to heart with myself, and set a goal to do a half marathon and loose weight. I did a half 9 months latter, also losing 70lbs over that period. I have more to lose, and have motivation of other goals I have set.

Awesome!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I was getting physically I'll after every meal I ate. I felt like I was never full even when I stuffed myself. Now that I changed my diet and I have started becoming active I don't have that happen anymore.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure was frightening high (on 2 medications) and my weight had crept up to 184. (I'm 5'2"). I'm down 26 pounds and off of one of the meds
  • jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had just come home from a trip to Europe with several food tours and felt bloated and was too scared and insecure to even think about stepping on the scale. My brother brought me home a huge doughnut from the city and I ate the whole thing even though I wasn't hungry at all. I then found a cookie from a bakery on the trip and ate the whole thing and felt awful about myself. I then found the snack drawer in my house and stuffed my face with everything I could see. Thinking about it after in my room I literally wanted to cry and from that day on took charge and started making healthier decisions. I've come such a long way and even once I stopped eating like THAT I still had bad habits but I've basically overcome them completely. I'm in a much clearer and happier state of mind.