Losing weight too fast ?

Options
braseyns
braseyns Posts: 9 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there, I've been using MFP for 71 days now and I've lost 13 kg (28lbs) so far. I try to eat about 1200 kcal / day and I'm feeling pretty fine with that amount. I usually loose between 1 kg (2,2lbs) and 1,5 kg (3,3lbs) / week.
Now the thing is that, for the first time ever, I've lost 1,1 kg in only 3 days. Is that a normal thing ?
Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy that I dropped 1,1 kg but I'm really starting to question the numbers on the scale.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You've been seeing stellar results thusfar, and you're going to start seeing some slowdown if calories and activity are being kept constant. Personally, at this point, I'd just let it ride until things reach the 0.25kg/week rate, or you reach your goal weight, and then reassess

The nature of the "woosh" is probably what you just saw. I've had periods where I'll be losing steadily, then suddenly drop 5 lbs. in a week out of nowhere.
  • scriptedninja
    scriptedninja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are nearing to hit your weight-loss plateau. They said, that's normal. I'm actually stucked for 2 weeks now. But I don't lose hope.
  • braseyns
    Options
    @scriptedninja I forgot to mention that I had several days where I didn't loose a thing before.
    @Gallowmere1984 I had several weeks where progression was really slow but I always managed to hit the 1kg/week goal. Do you really think it could slow down to 0.25kg/week with 1200 kcal/day ?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    braseyns wrote: »
    @scriptedninja I forgot to mention that I had several days where I didn't loose a thing before.
    @Gallowmere1984 I had several weeks where progression was really slow but I always managed to hit the 1kg/week goal. Do you really think it could slow down to 0.25kg/week with 1200 kcal/day ?

Eventually, yes, but that would require you to get really low and be sedentary. That's why I included the goal weight stipulation.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I weigh myself daily with an accurate balance scale and I can easily fluctuate 2-3 pounds from day to day. It is entirely normal due to varying amounts of water and food waste in your system. The longer term trend over weeks is more meaningful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've been using MFP for 71 days now and I've lost 13 kg (28lbs) so far. I try to eat about 1200 kcal / day and I'm feeling pretty fine with that amount. I usually loose between 1 kg (2,2lbs) and 1,5 kg (3,3lbs) / week.
    Now the thing is that, for the first time ever, I've lost 1,1 kg in only 3 days. Is that a normal thing ?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy that I dropped 1,1 kg but I'm really starting to question the numbers on the scale.

As a male, you should be eating a minimum of 1500 calories a day, and more when you exercise. Especially since you are only 23 years old.

I have some questions for you:
    1. How tall are you?
    2. What's your current weight?
    3. What's your goal weight?
    4. How are you measuring your food intake?
    5. What's your exercise program?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much do you weigh, how much protein are you taking in, and are you following any progressive overload lifting programs? Because for a male, 1200 calories is very aggressive and most likely will led to increased muscle loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are nearing to hit your weight-loss plateau. They said, that's normal. I'm actually stucked for 2 weeks now. But I don't lose hope.

If he's still losing, and that quickly, then he's nowhere near a plateau. That is generally a month plus with no change in weight.

OP, that does sound very quick. What are your stats?
  • braseyns
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have some questions for you:
    1. How tall are you?
    2. What's your current weight?
    3. What's your goal weight?
    4. How are you measuring your food intake?
    5. What's your exercise program?

1. 185 cm (about 6 feet tall)
    2. 95.1 kg (209lbs)
    3. 85kg (187lbs)
    4. I weight everything.
    5. Absolutely none.

I know that 1200 kcal (it more like 1250ich to be honest) sound like really rough but, I don't feel the need to eat more. So... that's that.
    How much do you weigh, how much protein are you taking in, and are you following any progressive overload lifting programs? Because for a male, 1200 calories is very aggressive and most likely will led to increased muscle loss.

Between 30 and 50g of proteins a day, I don't exercice at all mainly because I don't have time to do so.
    OP, that does sound very quick. What are your stats?
    What stats are we talking about ?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Eating so few calories, so little protein, and losing weight so fast, you are probably losing a lot of muscle. You need to eat more. The 1500 Cal min for men is a generalization based on how much food you need to eat to get the bare minimum of nutrition your body needs to do the basic things it does every day. Considering you are young and don't have that much more weight to lose, you really should slow it down a little and eat more. 1200 calories isn't enough for me, and I'm a 43 yr old 5'4" woman. Please take care of yourself!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Eat more! You're not only losing fat but also muscles. What happens when you're at your goal weight? You'll most likely look skinny fat instead of slim. It's much easier to lose muscles than to build new ones, even for men. If that isn't enough to get you eating: so little means you're too short of vitamins and minerals as well. You need those for your body to function properly. Your brain and digestive system need fat to function, your blood needs iron, your nerves need vitamin b12 otherwise they'll get damaged, etc. There's no way you get all those things with so little food. And to come back to muscles: Your heart is a muscle too. Do you want your body to digest your heart muscle? Bones need strong muscles otherwise there's a risk of developing early osteoporosis. Thus eat!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you definitely need more calories and protein. 30-50g of protein is too little for even women. a woman is supposed to have more than 50g a day and your male.1200 is for a woman who is very short,elderly or very sedentary and thats the lowest amount. being male and young you can eat more and still lose weight. when I started at 209 lbs,yes that was my starting weight.(5'6 1/2, 38 yrs old then) I was eating more than 1800 calories and I was losing weight.heck I ate at 2000 calories for awhile and lost weight still. I wasnt that active at the time either.with less than 25lbs to lose you should be trying to lose no more than 1/2 a lb a week(0.22kg).even though you feel fine now,you most likely will end up with issues later,IE- hair loss,fatigue,dizziness,malnutrition, no energy to workout,some people end up with gall stones,stomach issues and so on.
  • braseyns
    Options
    Well, it's still a bit hard for me to understand why is it so bad to be at 1200 cal. Since I don't (and can't) exercice, 1500 calories / day seems a bit too much. Besides, I don't feel weak / hungry while eating 1200 calories.

Is it really that bad ? Since I'm close (kind of) to my goal should I really slow it down or get to there before ?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Simplest answer is that you're losing muscle mass at a rate that is unnecessary due to your rapid weight loss/low calorie goal. What happens is people think this is such a wonderful thing to not feel hungry and lose quickly. But you will get to your goal and possibly be skinny fat.

Btw, hunger is a terrible indicator for your body's nutrient needs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Well, it's still a bit hard for me to understand why is it so bad to be at 1200 cal. Since I don't (and can't) exercice, 1500 calories / day seems a bit too much. Besides, I don't feel weak / hungry while eating 1200 calories.

Is it really that bad ? Since I'm close (kind of) to my goal should I really slow it down or get to there before ?

How are you measuring your food? If you are not using a digital food scale, you're likely eating more than you think.

Someone who is very overweight can run a larger deficit without ill effects than someone close to goal.

One problem with under-eating is that signs of malnutrition - hair loss, muscle loss, etc., do not show up for months afterwards, if they are even perceptible. Without before and after DEXA scans, you wouldn't know how much muscle you'd lost.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Simplest answer is that you're losing muscle mass at a rate that is unnecessary due to your rapid weight loss/low calorie goal. What happens is people think this is such a wonderful thing to not feel hungry and lose quickly. But you will get to your goal and possibly be skinny fat.

Btw, hunger is a terrible indicator for your body's nutrient needs.

This^

Fast weight loss does NOT equal healthy weight loss. Most people choose to eat more because they want to lower their body fat %.
  • braseyns
    Options
    OK then, I'll try to eat more and exercice, thank you for your advices :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I know that 1200 kcal (it more like 1250ich to be honest) sound like really rough but, I don't feel the need to eat more. So... that's that.

You asked a question, but seem to be pushing back against the well-founded advice. This last time, you seem to be saying you will only eat more if you can work it back off, which is not what is being suggested. You need to *net* 1500... actually more at your height.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Sorry- having problems sorting out my quotes. I was specifically referring to your statements where you said you aren't hungry at 1200 so "that's that" and you will eat more AND exercise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I think this is a wise choice..

To add: Bump up your calories and slow the rate of loss down (i.e 1 pound/week), start strength training now and increase your protein intake. Even without the strength training, your protein is quite low.

Faster weight loss is not always better or healthy. No need to be in such a steep calorie deficit and losing weight aggressively with only 20ish more to lose.

You may feel quite fine this first 90 days of eating so low, but it is unhealthy and side effects are bound to happen. Why risk losing valuable muscle as well?