Homeopathic nutritionist?

Options

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »

Do you realize that a large portion of the medicines used to treat cancers, etc. they don't actually know "how" they work? They only know when they tried them they worked.

This is completely untrue. I'm sure you can provide some evidence, oh wait never mind, forgot who I was responding to. [/quote]

http://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i29/Does-Acetaminophen-Work-Researchers-Still.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/07/23/one-big-myth-about-medicine-we-know-how-drugs-work/

"Knowing why a drug works has historically trailed the treatment, sometimes by decades. Some of the most recognizable drugs -- acetaminophen for pain relief, penicillin for infections, and lithium for bipolar disorder, continue to be scientific mysteries today." WP

http://discovermagazine.com/2010/nov/11-the-problem-with-medicine-dont-know-if-most-works

If you look at a PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) and start at the beginning of the drug listings you will find something interesting. Every drug listed has a "mechanism of action" recorded. I think you'll be shocked to discover just how many drugs in the 3000+ pages state "unknown" under this category --- because they don't know HOW that drug works.

http://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Effexor-XR-venlafaxine-619

MECHANISM OF ACTION

SNRI; exact mechanism of the antidepressant action is unknown, but thought to be related to the potentiation of serotonin and norepinephrine in the CNS, through inhibition of their reuptake.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266780055_What_do_we_know_about_the_mechanism_of_action_of_drugs_in_the_different_drug_classes_Assessment_of_the_pharmaceuticals_approved_by_the_FDA_between_1980_and_2012

Drugs with unknown mechanisms of action (partial list):

Some drug mechanisms of action are still unknown. However, even though the mechanism of action of a certain drug is unknown, the drug still functions; it is just unknown or unclear how the drug interacts with receptors and produces its therapeutic effect.

Acamprosate
    Armodafinil
    Antidepressants
    Cyclobenzaprine
    Demeclocycline
    Fabomotizole
    Lithium
    Meprobamate
    Methocarbamol
    Paracetamol
    Phenytoin
    PRL-8-53

I think you get the point..........
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Well - I've never been to a homeopath. Although I've used homeopathic remedies. Which worked for me. **shrugs**

a5jre33xdasy.jpg
    Exactly the same goes for homeopathy.

Mag Phos tissue salts seems to work fine for pain for me. It's been a life saver when I get headaches or pain in my colon.

I have an ulcer and can't take actual pain medication because it would make the symptoms worse and burn my stomach.

You don't have to believe me. Just stating my personal experience. If they don't work for you, that's fine.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    He had a simple strep infection. She chose homeopathic herbal remedies instead of a trip to the doctor and now he's dead. You really want to risk a child's life over your suspicion that it's just one big money making conspiracy theory? I sure wouldn't.

calgaryherald.com/news/crime/trial-to-begin-for-woman-who-used-holistic-medicine-to-treat-fatally-ill-son

Again, the ignorance of not knowing the difference between naturopathic and homeopathic is showing. I read through those cases and not a single one (there are more stories further down the page) used homeopathy. They all used either herbs or foods. That is NOT homeopathy. I started out in herbs and discovered that none of them ever cured anything. They may have strengthened immune systems, etc but actually healing sickness they never worked for us. I moved on to other modes when I determined naturopathic was not effective for us. These two types of medicine are not interchangeable. Until people get that, discussion on their merits can't even take place.

We have treated strep (and so many other things) hpathically with no issue. The problem is you somehow lump every natural leaning person into one category which is unfair. When our son was bleeding out of every orifice I took him to ER. We didn't even look at how to heal him naturally until he was stable and safe. In our home that's what medicine is for - trauma care, emergencies, or when the natural doesn't seem to be working. Not everyone refuses medical care the way those people did. That said, I'm not quick to run to the doctor unless indications are there is immediate danger to whomever I'm caring for. Be careful about your assumptions of people. Most of the people I know personally are in the same camp we are. In 8yrs I've never met a single person/family that refuses all medical care. I know they exist, but I've never run into it in the natural circles we run in.

People seem to conveniently forget that those who choose natural medicine over traditional medical care is because traditional medical care has failed them miserably. Not just in not curing diseases but also in patient care. In working as a partner and not a dictator of what a person WILL do, etc. This has been true not in just one case in our family but in three adult cases and 2 child cases. Most people don't make these decisions lightly or based on one circumstance. Assuming they do makes an *kitten* out of the one assuming.

As I have said over and over on this forum- the key will always be balance and none of us is perfect at that. Being on the left or the right of the road either way still puts one in the ditch. That's not balance.

All of that said, I will defend the right of parents to choose whatever form of medical care they deem best for THEIR family. If doing everything a doctor tells them to fits them, that is their right to do so (and chemo has killed many a child). If what they choose leads to tragedy in a different form, then they will deal with the consequences both legally and morally/emotionally. I take great issue with the nanny state. If parents are allowed to be told how to raise their kids by the state, at what point does that end? It doesn't. And my children don't belong to the state.

• Tea_A_Holic
    Tea_A_Holic Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    MABMomma wrote: »
    My family has recently made some major dietary changes & wanted to consult a nutritionist to ensure that our choices were suitable for our 4 year old son. We are new to the area that we live in & found what we believed was a nutritionist online.

The appointment was today & it was very interesting to say the least.

I knew something was off while I was filling out the new patient paperwork. One of the questions was "are you missing the last 1/3 of your eyebrow?" Huh?? Although this was strange I've never been to a nutritionist & didn't want to make any assumptions.

My son & I are taken into a tiny room where a woman rolls a scanner up & down his spine. She says that the machine is taking pictures of his spine to see if one side of his body is more "stressed" than the other. Pictures, what?

Then we meet the "nutritionist". She tells me that she doesn't agree with the changes that we've made. She wanted to make sure that we wouldn't be difficult patients because of her stance on things. I told her that I never wanted to be the type of mom to go doctor hopping because I didn't hear what I was expecting.

So now that she's gotten it down that I'm in her office for health & not whatever else she assumed, she pulls out this strange machine. My son holds what looks like a gold pen wrapped in a paper towel while she holds what seems to be a pen without a tip. She then rubs the pen up & down my kids big toe 250 times or so.

Once she's done she gets really close to me & tells me that my son is:
    Gluten intolerant
    Has issues with:
    Amino acids
    Brain chemistry
    Prostate
    Testes
    Pancreas
    Pineal gland
    Calcium deficiency
    & these are the most important on a list about the size of my torso.

The machine she used is called an EAV & only after I asked about the machine did she say that she was a homeopathic doctor. I was clearly confused & asked if she was a nutritionist also & she replies "I only prescribe herbs."

WHAT?!

I continue to ask her questions like "how accurate is this machine?" "How do these results compare to a scratch or blood tests?" "Why haven't you asked us anything about our diet?" "How can you make any conclusions when you don't even know my son's height or weight?"

I'm going to make an appointment with another nutritionist however, homeopathy? What're your thoughts? Can I trust this lady & her magical machine?

She also claimed that my son has irregularities in his reproductive organs because of all of the soy that he eats. The kid has never touched soy in his life, won't go near the stuff. This conclusion left me even more puzzled.

I have had homeopathy treatment before with a lady who used to be a nurse and if she felt "science" was the way to go she would say so and was excellent I would not rule out homeopathy, BUT this one is a definite quack!
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    MABMomma, PLEASE tell me you didn't pay more than $25 for this quack's evaluation????
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    He had a simple strep infection. She chose homeopathic herbal remedies instead of a trip to the doctor and now he's dead. You really want to risk a child's life over your suspicion that it's just one big money making conspiracy theory? I sure wouldn't.

calgaryherald.com/news/crime/trial-to-begin-for-woman-who-used-holistic-medicine-to-treat-fatally-ill-son

Again, the ignorance of not knowing the difference between naturopathic and homeopathic is showing. I read through those cases and not a single one (there are more stories further down the page) used homeopathy. They all used either herbs or foods. That is NOT homeopathy. I started out in herbs and discovered that none of them ever cured anything. They may have strengthened immune systems, etc but actually healing sickness they never worked for us. I moved on to other modes when I determined naturopathic was not effective for us. These two types of medicine are not interchangeable. Until people get that, discussion on their merits can't even take place.

We have treated strep (and so many other things) hpathically with no issue. The problem is you somehow lump every natural leaning person into one category which is unfair. When our son was bleeding out of every orifice I took him to ER. We didn't even look at how to heal him naturally until he was stable and safe. In our home that's what medicine is for - trauma care, emergencies, or when the natural doesn't seem to be working. Not everyone refuses medical care the way those people did. That said, I'm not quick to run to the doctor unless indications are there is immediate danger to whomever I'm caring for. Be careful about your assumptions of people. Most of the people I know personally are in the same camp we are. In 8yrs I've never met a single person/family that refuses all medical care. I know they exist, but I've never run into it in the natural circles we run in.

People seem to conveniently forget that those who choose natural medicine over traditional medical care is because traditional medical care has failed them miserably. Not just in not curing diseases but also in patient care. In working as a partner and not a dictator of what a person WILL do, etc. This has been true not in just one case in our family but in three adult cases and 2 child cases. Most people don't make these decisions lightly or based on one circumstance. Assuming they do makes an *kitten* out of the one assuming.

As I have said over and over on this forum- the key will always be balance and none of us is perfect at that. Being on the left or the right of the road either way still puts one in the ditch. That's not balance.

All of that said, I will defend the right of parents to choose whatever form of medical care they deem best for THEIR family. If doing everything a doctor tells them to fits them, that is their right to do so (and chemo has killed many a child). If what they choose leads to tragedy in a different form, then they will deal with the consequences both legally and morally/emotionally. I take great issue with the nanny state. If parents are allowed to be told how to raise their kids by the state, at what point does that end? It doesn't. And my children don't belong to the state.

If someone does have the "right" to deny someone access to medical care just because they are their parent, why would you want them to face legal consequences? Shouldn't you support changing the laws so that parents have total control over how they choose to treat or ignore any illnesses or conditions their children may develop?
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    Yes. Unfortunately, today a number of states have laws specific to parents and consequences for the medical decisions they make for their children. Like it or not, we have to live within those laws (at least until if/when they are changed) which means there will be legal consequences for some people if what they choose hurts their kids. It's why 1) the state has no business in the family and 2) a parent better have discerning wisdom in what they choose to do. Both of those are relevant regardless of what the laws are, but even more so today in our current climate.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've tried staying out of this, but I'll just say I'm glad some states have seen fit to project children from the stupidity of their parent's short-sighted decision making.

/back to lurking

A couple years ago a native child died because his parents, being special under the law due to native status, where allowed to abandon the treatment that would have saved his life in favour of quackery that killed him. Sad.

Oh, and another couple, non-native, was convicted over a similar incident, they also had a quack supplement company so it was likely they didn't want to show that their "medicine" wasn't up to treating their child. Yes, they really loved their child and feel remorse but that doesn't mean they are good parents when their belief in their own bs was stronger than their desire to seek proper treatment that would easily have saved his life.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    MABMomma wrote: »
    She says that the machine is taking pictures of his spine to see if one side of his body is more "stressed" than the other.

My right hand is more stressed than my left. This is because my right hand is often spooning yoghurt into my face, whilst the left hand contributes nothing.

Try curling while spooning... ;)

This brought a rather disturbing image to mind.

OP, sorry you had this experience. I hope you have since found a good medical practitioner in your area.