I give up. Seriously ...can't do this.

Options

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I think if possible I would try another doctor. OK so as far as she is concerned you are ok. You sound as if you need a supportive doctor who will run a raft of blood tests, if only to prove to you she is right. Hormonal balances change at menopause, if all is well you should be able to loose weight like anyone else.

It concerns me, you say you can't eat much because you get full so fast, do you also get indigestion, re-flux or other digestive issues? It could be worth taking this information to your doctor instead of just saying about your weight. These symptoms can all be linked and sorted.
    3474449k Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Increasing your calories to somehow "boost" weight loss is not scientific.

nope, not scientific, but there is anecdotal evidence - personally, I think its because I ate a lot more than I thought so when I started logging it was eye opening - but working with a dietician helped too

Yes there is evidence. If you lower your calories too much, your metabolism slows down. You're right about the ancedotal evidence. I've seen it often. Also if you cut out too much fat you will have problems
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    You're overreacting.

7lbs in 35 days is more than a lb a week - that's excellent progress. 1.5 inches is a bloody decent loss in that time. When you're at a healthy weight, it comes off slower - many people at that weight would be looking at a 0.5lb loss a week.

Your friend is losing faster and can eat more because she is bigger and has a higher TDEE. It's easier and faster losing weight when you have a lot to lose - you're already at a healthy weight. And you said it - it's not a competition.

Stop comparing yourself to your friend - it's apples and oranges and it's clearly getting to you.

My first 8-10lbs came off pretty quickly, maybe 2 months once I got serious. The last lousy 4-6lbs took much longer. That was measuring, eating 1500-1800 calories a day with a 2400 or so TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) and it got a little depressing to be honest. But I've since settled in, am extremely active at 57 years old and just finished replying to a thread of my own thanking folks here for their support :)

Stay with it, modify your program with advice gotten here, as needed, and try to not be so hard on yourself. You're likely doing better than you think and are just operating under some unrealistic expectations.

This!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale, I am very meticulous about weighing items. The only time I don't weigh is when I consume,let's say a single serving of popcorn, I'll scan it.

Are you sure that the things you are scanning are really a single serving? If you're talking about a microwave bag of popcorn, the small ones are probably labeled as a single serving (usually about 100 calories), but the larger bags are labeled as multiple servings. Scanning, however, will generally only log a single serving.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Since you're at a healthy weight, you should consider resistance training because it will increase the chances that you'll be a bit more satisfied with the visual indicators of your progress. Can you tell where you lost the seven pounds? Check out this awesome thread, by the way:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine. You could eat a bit more. I'm 57, we just don't need to eat as much as younger people. You haven't got much to lose - it always comes off slower when you are closer.
    Your weight loss is fab by the way. How fast did you think you would lose it?
    Some weeks I have lost nothing - for weeks at a time.
  • jadelois
    jadelois Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    You've made excellent progress. Why would you quit when you've done so well?

This. OP, you said you know it's not a competition. Keep repeating that to yourself until you actually believe it.

Have you ever heard the expression "Comparison is the thief of joy"? Because it is.

Also, for whatever it's worth, as a former very obese person I'll just throw this out there. It used to make me pretty mad when I was still fat and my comparatively "skinny" friends (anyone with <20 vanity pounds to lose -- because when you have >50, >100, >150 lbs to lose anyone who wants to lose that much is "skinny" to you) would compare themselves and their progress to mine. Maybe it looked "easy" to them from the outside, but it bloody well wasn't easy by a long shot. And that kind of thinking always made me suspect people were, on some level, judging that I somehow didn't "deserve" to lose the weight because I wasn't making myself miserable enough.

It is not necessary to make yourself (or other people) miserable to work towards a healthy weight over a reasonable amount of time.

I so agree with the statement! I lost around 30lb before suffering a bout of depression during which time I was losing around 4lb a week because i wasn't eating. Nothing about that time of my life was easy. Eventually i broke. Started on meds and over the course of 9 months managed to put the majority of that back on, partly meds partly the fact i thought i was happier when i was bigger (true, but not because i was bigger). When you consistently lose big chunks of weight (because you have it to lose) then the weight loss slowing down completely throws you and if you're not mentally ready for it then you usually throw the towel in at that point.
    Your weight may be coming off slowly but you have so little to lose, sometimes your body is at a happy place and its your composition you need to look at working on, as someone else suggested progressive lifting plans are a good idea and bodyweight exercises. Don't be tempted to undereat though, healthy fats, proteins and some carbs for energy then your doing it right but also be realistic about the fact that our bodies change as we age.
    Good luck :) (and don't give up!)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Whew--so much great advice. I just know this, you should not be miserable and should be able to work in a treat now and again. This is going to take you a while for all the reasons given above. Be patient, try some new things--like lifting. I'm almost out of menopause, but it was hell, and it's hard to deal with it and restrictive weightloss too. You can do it--just re-evaluate and keep going.

Also take measurements weekly. That way you can see your progress over time.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You are making progress, I don't know why you can't see that. Maybe you need to take progress pictures to compare those.

You might be eating too little- eating less than BMR is counterproductive to weight loss. Your calorie intake sounds way too low to me.

Your friend can eat a lot and lose weight because she is larger. You could probably eat more and lose weight too actually, but not as much as your friend.

You probably have stress weight- that tire around the middle thing could just be where you naturally hold weight, but it kind of sounds like stress weight placement- too much cortisol from stress makes weight go to the mid section. Maybe try to relax and cut out coffee and do some yoga.

I'd also suggest making sure you eat plenty of protein and do some strength training. Types of exercise you do matters, and macros (macronutrients - protein, carbs, and fats) matter.

"I can't do this" is a terrible outlook. Wether you think you can or you can't, you're right.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You are not in any way overweight, so the fact that you've already lost 7lbs in just over a month is fantastic!! that is great progress. My only issue is that you're not eating that much so that might be making you feel miserable (I know it would for me). I'm a little bit smaller and found when I was losing that 1600-1800 cals meant an 1/2lb loss a week. To lose weight we don't have to half starve ourselves and be miserable.