I give up. Seriously ...can't do this.

Options

Replies

• jackiedruga
    jackiedruga Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, and while not seriously overweight (5'3, 134)

So at 5'3 and 134 you are not actually overweight, BMI is 23.7.

Apart from being impatient to lose more quicly (1lb per week at your lowish weight is excellent) - what is your actual goal weight or size? Is it possible you have unrealistic expectations? What do you see yourself as when you look in the mirror at your current weight?

<y goal is to get down to 122. That was always a good weight for me. The last time I did MFP, I did well, NEarly made it but put it all back on. I was exercising a ton back then, and a pulled groan muscles stopped me. What do I see when I look in the mirror ... FRUMPY. I have a gut from sitting and eating and not moving, it wouldn't be as bad visulally, but I have very small breasts my problem areas are from mid thigh to rib cage. Pretty much I am the apple shape to the max. I always had a gut, even when I was bone thin. The only time I didn't was when I skinny and exercising to get muscles. Um ... decades ago and not expecting that body, just one where I can wear decent clothes that don't make me look like a bell.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    If you're in a normal weight range already, it's going to be slow going. The most you could possibly hope to lose is a half pound per week. You've lost more than that. You need PATIENCE.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, and while not seriously overweight (5'3, 134) Menopause has not been kind to me. 3 years ago, I went from a mobile moving about job to my dream career of being a writer full time. During this time I entered menopause., stopped moving about and gained a lot of weight, especially that damn back and tummy fat. I carry a tire around my middle.

I'm healthy, the doc says I fall into the normal weight range, just need to exercise and lose the tummy.

I can't do this. I weigh my food, watch my calorie intake, walk every day now for two hours. 3x a week I exercise (Sit ups, dance, etc) I never consume more than 1100 cals a day and average 1050. I rarely do sweets, ever, hate candy, avoid cheese, and drink black coffee and water (I don't log these).

I eat very little because I get full so fast. In this third MFP round 35 days later, I have lost 7 pounds but only 1.5 inches. I look in the mirror and hate what I see. I see no change. I buy big clothes to cover everything.

What is making this worse for me is my friend, same age 52 started MFP 18 months ago, but since January, she has lost 65 pounds (240-169). She doesn't exercise, works part time, ends her night with a high cal sweet treat and accredits her weight loss to fat free dressing and not exercising to avoid muscle weight gain. She shares her food diary with me as motivation. I couldn't possibly consume what she does. The last week alone, her snacks were as much as my daily intake, yet she still lost 3 pounds. She's defying all logic to me.

I know it's not a competition, but it's hard to go to dinner with someone who eats a whole steak, potato, salad with ranch and desert and boasts weight loss while i have grilled fish and a salad and fight to keep from gaining.

I just wanna say screw it and quit and buy bigger clothes.

Sorry for the long rant, this is the most discouraged I have felt in so long. I got a text she lost more weight, while I skipped most of Thanksgiving dinner to stay under calories.

Any advice or am I just overreacting and emotional. Damn menopause.

What you're concerned with isn't weight loss, but aesthetics. Look into any of the progressive resistance training programs tailored for women and find one that you like.

I have a fitness pro friend, Justine Moore, who shows new clients two photos of herself: One - where she was killing herself with cardio and at a lower weight and Two - after a year of weight lifting. By far everyone picks the second picture after weight lifting and body sculpting.

Don't get discouraged. Be proud of what you have accomplished. Be happy for your friend - she is doing something amazing and needs your support. You just have a different goal and going to need a different game plan.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You're not comparing like with like.

Your friend started from (probably) morbidly obese, and unless she's pretty tall, is probably still overweight. If she is tall, then her basic needs will be greater. If she's not, it's obviously far easier to lose weight from an obese starting point.

You are a smallish woman, starting from a healthy weight, just wanting to trim a few lb off, and that is tough, and your rate of loss is excellent. And 1.5" for 7lbs sounds in the right ballpark.

Also, you've been going for 35 days. Since the beginning of the year there have been 335 days. So your friend has lost about 10x the amount in 10x the time.

But even if you were identical twins, starting at the same point on the same day, this is not a race! Do it for yourself, not for bragging rights.
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, dumbbell and barbell. You're not fat, you just need more muscle.
  • laura2137
    laura2137 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You are overreacting and being emotional about menaupose......I'm well past it at 65..... I know what you are going through, the emotions etcetera........I'm 5.4 and lost more than 30 pounds in 5 months, not exercising at all, bad knee and hip, eat just like you between 1000 to 1100 calories.....this turmoil will pass, keep strong.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am over 55 so I get some of your misery. I think weight lifting will do more to redistribute things and make you feel better about your body. An inch and a half is a lot! But you lost it proportionally so your body looked about the same.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Check this out- this isn't me, it's a girl I follow in Instagram- but she weighs more on the picture to the right, but she looks way better- why? Because she has MORE MUSCLE and less fat. That's the difference body composition can make. And this also shows that muscle is beautiful, not something to be feared. Show this to your friend who is afraid of exercise.

vmu00991ms7p.jpg

'better' is completely subjective. Just saying.

OP - your friend is bigger. She's probably more active than you. So yes, she can afford to eat more. If you want to eat more... be more active. That's really the bottom line there. My activity lets me eat 400 extra calories a day - that's huge.

And I can guarantee you that your friend will not always be able to eat a full meal with dessert on a regular basis if she doesn't want to gain the weight back.

Also your friend is probably burning through her muscle mass and will regret it later.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Check this out- this isn't me, it's a girl I follow in Instagram- but she weighs more on the picture to the right, but she looks way better- why? Because she has MORE MUSCLE and less fat. That's the difference body composition can make. And this also shows that muscle is beautiful, not something to be feared. Show this to your friend who is afraid of exercise.

vmu00991ms7p.jpg

OP - your friend is bigger. She's probably more active than you. So yes, she can afford to eat more. If you want to eat more... be more active. That's really the bottom line there. My activity lets me eat 400 extra calories a day - that's huge.

And I can guarantee you that your friend will not always be able to eat a full meal with dessert on a regular basis if she doesn't want to gain the weight back.

Also your friend is probably burning through her muscle mass and will regret it later.

The math shows that she and her friend are both losing weight at the same rate.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

vmu00991ms7p.jpg

The math shows that she and her friend are both losing weight at the same rate.

True, but her friend is probably consuming more calories to achieve the same deficit. When I first started losing weight I could eat 2000 calories completely sedentary and lose a bit over a pound a week, which yes, meant full meals with dessert with barely any activity to achieve the same results I now I have to work harder/eat less for, so her frustration is understandable, but the comparison is unfair. There will be a point where her friend's loss will either slow down considerably if she keeps eating this way, or a point where she would need to put in as much work and eat as little as OP to achieve the same results (provided the friend wants to get down to such a low weight and eat such a low calorie allowance).
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    I'm 52, and while not seriously overweight (5'3, 134)

So at 5'3 and 134 you are not actually overweight, BMI is 23.7.

Apart from being impatient to lose more quicly (1lb per week at your lowish weight is excellent) - what is your actual goal weight or size? Is it possible you have unrealistic expectations? What do you see yourself as when you look in the mirror at your current weight?

...not expecting that body, just one where I can wear decent clothes that don't make me look like a bell.

In addition to what the posters above have said, consider meeting with a style consultant. No kidding. When we ladies have a negative image of our bodies, the tendency is to buy big clothes that we think hide flaws - but in fact they make us look worse! A style consultant can help you choose colors, patterns, and fits that are flattering in the right places and hide in the tricky areas.

I did this several years back and bought some new clothes. The next time I went out with girlfriends they oohed and aahed over my weight loss. In reality, I hadn't lost an ounce unless you count all the big, heavy, frumpy clothes I was no longer wearing!

I completely second this. A good outfit can completely transform a woman or a man. And don't buy cheap clothes ( Old Navy) etc. They make everyone look bigger/frumpy because they're cut so badly.
  • bluebell88xx
    bluebell88xx Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used TDEEcalculator.net to calculate and it gave 1424 for maintenance (assuming sedentary/limited working out)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=52&lbs=134&in=63&act=1.2&f=1

This has terrified me, apparently my ideal weight is 115-126lbs - I look ill at anything below 126lbs
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I used TDEEcalculator.net to calculate and it gave 1424 for maintenance (assuming sedentary/limited working out)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=52&lbs=134&in=63&act=1.2&f=1

This has terrified me, apparently my ideal weight is 115-126lbs - I look ill at anything below 126lbs

Then you know that 126lbs is ok for you - everyone is different . I look good/slim at 128lb despite only being 5ft 2 but I'm not small framed and I have plenty of muscle, whereas other petites can be 20lbs lighter than me and look fine, Body type is why we are given a weight range, and then there is personal preference :smile: .
  • Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You're losing at a good rate! You'll start seeing a lot of changes from here on so keep it up :).

Please don't compare yourself to your friend. Like others said, she currently has a lot more to lose. When she gets down to a normal weight, her weight loss will slow down to where yours is at the moment (approximately, I don't know her height).
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    President Obama said "Yes we can." And so can you.

The facts are that at 134 you hardly need to lose anything. Your friend has lost so much and is still way heavier than you, so perhaps you shouldn't be beating yourself up over this.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and follow some of the good advice I see already posted here.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I find I am happiest when I restrict calories for only about 4-6 weeks, then eat at maintenance for 2 weeks before going back to restricted calories for another 4-6 weeks. It takes longer to lose a set amount that way, but then I don't get frustrated because I know I'm going to be able to eat more "soon" and I don't usually gain anything while eating at maintenance, so I'm not losing progress. I generally am ecstatic to lose 1/2 lb per week, so you are doing amazing!