What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    Lentil chips....Yucky

Agreed!
    Snapea Crisps have a lentil chip that's pretty good.

• cooperdog2016
    cooperdog2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Any nutrient in mega doses (larger than found in real food) or extracted from real food. Anything labelled 'super food'
  • mrsgrace518
    mrsgrace518 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Can not deal with quinoa
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Can not deal with quinoa

I love quinoa but I can't cook it well. It always comes out a soggy mess.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Any nutrient in mega doses (larger than found in real food) or extracted from real food. Anything labelled 'super food'

There are a number of foods that have been labeled 'super foods' that I'm not going to stop eating just because someone labeled them that way to try and sell more of them. Try and take away my blueberries, for example, and you might lose a hand. :wink:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

There are a number of foods that have been labeled 'super foods' that I'm not going to stop eating just because someone labeled them that way to try and sell more of it. Try and take away my blueberries, for example, and you might lose a hand. :wink:

^This. I liked kale before it was trendy. I will not stop eating it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

There are a number of foods that have been labeled 'super foods' that I'm not going to stop eating just because someone labeled them that way to try and sell more of them. Try and take away my blueberries, for example, and you might lose a hand. :wink:

Yeah, exactly.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Artic zero, Halo. My homemade protein ice cream is better and is not filled with so much sugar!! Not that's sugar is bad, but there is too much of it everywhere and I like to control it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

There are a number of foods that have been labeled 'super foods' that I'm not going to stop eating just because someone labeled them that way to try and sell more of it. Try and take away my blueberries, for example, and you might lose a hand. :wink:

^This. I liked kale before it was trendy. I will not stop eating it.

Same here, I liked many things that became trendy later. To add, I also don't refuse to buy food on principle just because it's trendy, I see no reason not to try new foods. I tried kale for the first time after it became trendy and I liked it. Now when "trendy" means purchasing something I don't like, not interested in or paying more for something that I can simply buy cheaper elsewhere sans the "healthy" halo, that's a different story.
  • darleyschroeder89
    Options
    Kale, coconut water, "healthy" frozen dinners, quest bars
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    People will put anything in a taco. Like sandwiches.

heh. i pictured a sandwich inside a taco and went 'no'.

nothing odd about them being available but their weird popularity here is the thing. it's like everyone assuming you love their dog; everyone assumes you want the fish in your tacos right now.

*snort*

Have you seen the tacos using a sandwich as the tortilla? Seems ridiculous to me, but some people seem to like it :tongue:

This used to be a regular menu item at Del Taco in California in the 1970s. It was called the "Bun Taco," and they were really good as they had a lot more meat than a taco did. I don't know if they still have them.

I think the cupcake craze was kind of strange - it's a cupcake! It's bigger and has lots of different flavors, but it's still just . . . a cupcake.

My biggest problem with food trends is some of the terminology associated with it. Every time I hear "mouth feel" or "plated" it's like nails on a chalkboard - sooooooo pretentious. That's the thing with trends, they always seem so pretentious to me.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Kale, coconut water, "healthy" frozen dinners, quest bars

Amen with coconut water..

Try Harmless Harvest Coconut Water!

Guarantee you'll love it! Unless you just flat out don't like coconuts at all.

• NomaElephant
    NomaElephant Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What hummus is quite good. Tried it last week and it's a very good substitute for mayo on eggs or tuna
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Quinoa..I can't even look at it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Went to a restaurant last Saturday and got the steelhead special which came with quinoa and baby kale, and couldn't help thinking of this thread. It was really tasty, though.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Olives. Olives are vile. They taste like vomit to me and everywhere I go lately people are all like "Do you want some olives on the side?" No thank you, I want to rid the world of olives forever.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I love olives excessively and will take all the ones you don't want (well, if doing that makes them calorie free).

Given their long history, with the Greeks and Romans and also in the Middle East (the olive tree is called king of trees in the Bible), I wouldn't say "trendy," exactly, but maybe I just never experienced them coming in and out of fashion.
  • SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    That Jack Fruit stuff.. I'm scared . but being vegan I kind of miss the occasional BBQ.