What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Halo Top (tried it and just ... no) also Greek Yogurt. Not a fan.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Fish. I can't eat fish. Gross.

Fish is trendy??

When you live in coastal Maryland, yeah, it and seafood in general (crabcakes, anyone?) kinda is. Having a fishing license will literally get you special privileges in some areas, and all anyone wants is to show off their best seafood recipes *puke*

As a seafood lover living far from the ocean, that sounds wonderful.

Agreed.

I second that. I would eat it every single day if I could
  • Pierre_is_a_cat
    Pierre_is_a_cat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    1. Anything with the word "diet" on the label.
    2. Animal flesh.

:)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast. I bought once but it weirdest me out I was eating dead yeast and did not taste very good. I prefer vegan parm or regular parm please

Oh I love nutritional yeast on popcorn, and also on grits, with cheese too. I don't like parmesan on popcorn nearly as much, though I am a fan of real parmesan cheese.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I also don't like nutritional yeast, unless it's used as a cheese flavouring in mac and cheese sauce or something. I guess I just don't like it as a topping!

One food trend that I was skeptical about but ended up really loving was sweet potato toast (slice sweet potato longways, chuck in the toaster for a few rounds until they are soft and edible, top with whatever you want). It's actually really good, works with lots of different toppings (avocado and tofu luncheon with tomato sauce are my faves), has lots of nutrients, lower calorie than bread if you care about that- and more filling. Even if you don't eat it with toppings, it's still a super quick way to cook sweet potato or kumara! Tastes a lot better than if you microwave them, and you don't need to have hours to roast them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Fish. I can't eat fish. Gross.

Fish is trendy??

Goes to show you how many here read and understand what they are reading lol :)

Rude. Try living on the Chesapeake Bay, within a stone's throw of the national oyster festival among a few dozen other crab and seafood fests, where having a fishing license is a social class -> and then say you're not pressured to eat seafood.

"Trendy" != "something one is pressured to do"

This.

And something being popular in an area doesn't mean it's trendy. Chicago-style pizza is reasonably popular here, but it's not remotely trendy.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    this thread turned into food people just dont like and not trendy foods haha.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,375 Member
    Options
    I don't like or eat pizza. I CAN eat gluten so i do. . Me & my dogs have been using coconut oil for a long time. I use it on my skin/face. Me & hubby make smoothies every day & put kale in it. I put kale in soups, stir fry's etc I really like it. I bought some chia seeds to try in my smoothie. It does thicken it more but it's an extra 60 calories so i just put it in if it fits into the days calories
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Back in the day it was spirulina. Wonder when that ones gonna make a retro-showing.

Coconut sugar is not good for much it seems - bought it don't like and don't know what to do with the rest of it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've never had acai anything either. I've never actually said the word out loud and am unsure how to pronounce outside of my head lol.

I really like Lipton's Purple Acai and Blueberry Green Tea.

Acai and green tea? Yeah, I guess I'm trendy.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    jadedone wrote: »
    Soylent. Sounds really gross.

Is people?!?
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Alcohol & gasp...."bullet proof coffee" (marketing at its worst...the logic behind it is mind boggling)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've never had acai anything either. I've never actually said the word out loud and am unsure how to pronounce outside of my head lol.

It's pronounced ah-SIGH-ee. :smile:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I had a friend stay with me for a while and when she left, she left a bunch of stuff in the pantry. I'm now the proud owner of the following trendy foods I'd never have bought:

Coconut flour
    Coconut sugar
    Quinoa and "ancient grain" porridge
    Chia seeds

I feel like such a poser.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    whenever i see the acai i gasp in shock and then realize i live in san diego and its a very beachy meal. i never heard of it/had it before i moved here. Acai bowls ( good ones either homemade or not from jamba ect) are seriously heaven. I will usually get one and take it with me paddle boarding and sit in the ocean and relax.
    still.. san diego is like living in pretend land.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    Back in the day it was spirulina. Wonder when that ones gonna make a retro-showing.

i remember bee pollen. i kind of miss bee pollen, actually.

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »

Coconut sugar is not good for much it seems - bought it don't like and don't know what to do with the rest of it.

Spirulina is making a come back where I live. Everyone and their grandmothers are insisting I take spirulina for my health. According to them, if there's a question (ANY question), then spirulina is the answer. :neutral: