What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Any nutrient in mega doses (larger than found in real food) or extracted from real food. Anything labelled 'super food'

There are a number of foods that have been labeled 'super foods' that I'm not going to stop eating just because someone labeled them that way to try and sell more of them. Try and take away my blueberries, for example, and you might lose a hand. :wink:

Yeah, exactly.

I did part of my graduate work extracting flavanoids from blueberries and wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I've never been one to follow trends and such woo, but having observed reproducible data firsthand I'm a big fan.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Olives may have been around forever, but having them served in assortments of 5 or 6 different varieties is a trend. Upscale grocery stores even have 'Olive Bars' sort of like salad bars, but limited to mostly olives, with pepperoncini and mozzarella balls for a bit of variety.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    Olives may have been around forever, but having them served in assortments of 5 or 6 different varieties is a trend. Upscale grocery stores even have 'Olive Bars' sort of like salad bars, but limited to mostly olives, with pepperoncini and mozzarella balls for a bit of variety.

They've had those since I can remember, though. (At least WF has.)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    A thread on the forums made me think of this: tacos

They're fine on their own, but there's much better Mexican dishes out there and seeing so many darn events centered around it here turn me off.

Sure, they've been around forever, but there's nothing on this thread that really hasn't.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Some (many) of these "trends" are normal foods eaten regularly by people in other parts of the world, they are just new to the sometimes backwards USA.

Turmeric has been around forever. The reason your chicken soup out of a can, or your "better then bullion" has a yellow tinge is because turmeric is in it. You've probably been eating it all your life and didn't even know.

Its also medicinal in many ways most known as an anti-inflammatory. I do take it in capsules regularly to ease chronic pain from a car accident. It's better then loading up on ibuprofen. When I take in conjunction with MSM I'm virtually pain free. http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/turmeric

Ginger also has some of the same properties, they are from the same family of plant.

Topically its being studied for antimicrobial or antibacterial effects. There have been reports of people mixing it with the standard medication they may be using for a skin infection, and getting better, faster results then using the medication alone.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3535097/

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/turmeric

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,818 Member
    Options
    My husband calls Starbucks "Starf---s" the coffee does taste like ashes.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    so I just tried some riced cauliflower. actually, it was a steamable back of the riced cauliflower and sweet potato. i've heard raves about this stuff, so I grabbed a bag after the gym this AM.

I...don't see what the big deal is. Perhaps cause it wasn't homemade? I derno. Not buying the green giant bag again, though. *shrug*
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I bought frozen riced cauliflower... 2 months ago. Still sitting in the freezer. Maybe it'll be a soup... someday.
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Even though I secretly do want to try it, Halo Top is $6.99 a pint at my local grocery store! That is insane!! I just can't justify it
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, I eat eggs, but I find it really annoying when they print "Gluten Free" on the carton. You don't say, eggs are gluten free? How stupid do they think their consumers are? Maybe the lack of gluten in your diet makes you retarded?

I don't buy any type of so called energy drinks. Being jacked up is not energy. What a BS scam that is.

I love my v8 energy drinks. They have less caffeine then a cup of coffee but enough to get my day started. I take one into work with me.

Wont buy kale, tofu, morning star brand items (im not vegetarian so i dont need vegetarian options) All 3 of these are things that people i know keep trying to push on me.

Noodles made from veggies. Just no. I will add veggies to my pasta dishes as i please and i wont feel gulty for eating carbs.

Diets just because. Paleo, vegan, vegetarian, no carb, glutten free, etc. These diets are perfectly fine when used to better your health (your choice or because of medical issues) But i do have friends that claim to be vegan still eats meats and dairy items.
  • TxRottie81
    TxRottie81 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above gluten comment humans have been cultivating grains for 10,000 years.. I also refused to eat Quinoa. The farmers really pulled it off with advertising bird seed.
  • LessofAJ
    LessofAJ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Kale. Makes me want to die, gastrointestinally speaking :neutral:
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    There's nothing I don't buy simply because it's trendy. That attitude would signal a pretty fragile sense of individuality, imo. But of the foods that are trendy that I refuse to buy...I guess for me it's just foods that are gluten free. I don't have a problem with gluten so it wouldn't make sense for me to buy it.

There are many trendy foods I haven't yet tried but it hasn't been a deliberate boycott. They just haven't struck my fancy.

I'd try anything that sounds like I might like it regardless of its trend status. I don't care about that sorta thing as an adult.

It's funny how much of what's perceived as trendy by the mainstream American palate are foods that many Americans have been eating for generations in their "ethnic" groups, but are now getting their turn in the spotlight bc they fit in with today's superfood zeitgeist.

For example, kale everywhere. My dad always served that. I'm a vinegar lover, and he'd douse it with some as that was his family's traditional way of serving it. Seeing it everywhere now cracks me up. In an odd way, I'm sorta happy for humble little kale being positioned as something desirable.

My Greek friends have been serving me homemade hummus all my life, and I've been eating avocadoes since I was a kid with my Puerto Rican friends. It's kinda amusing seeing foods appropriated from outside of WASP America and given some good ol' American marketing spin.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, I can't get it to taste good.
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hummus here too ugh....
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all the drinks in the cooler at Whole Foods.

Some of them are way over my head (Apple Cider Vinegar Probiotic Tonic Homebrew Masterblend.... huh?)

rows-of-drinks-in-a-cooler-at-the-new-wholefoods-market-opening-night-picture-id528950082

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all the drinks in the cooler at Whole Foods.

Some of them are way over my head (Apple Cider Vinegar Probiotic Tonic Homebrew Masterblend.... huh?)

rows-of-drinks-in-a-cooler-at-the-new-wholefoods-market-opening-night-picture-id528950082

I second this one