What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, forgot one: meal replacement shakes. What a waste of money and calories to me.

I agree with this. Weirdest trend ever IMO.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    All depends if I like it or not. I refuse to spiralise anything though - zoodles? squashetti? What?! Conversely, I'm quite liking the trend for anything salted caramel flavour - I love salted caramel ice-cream!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    girlgroves wrote: »
    zoodles? squashetti? What?!

thank you for this. i don't get how that makes it better.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm decidedly anti spiralizer, also. It's not fooling anyone.
  • Fitnessqt27
    Fitnessqt27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Soy milk and artificial sweeteners like Splenda. I do use Stevia occasionally, but I avoid things like Sucralose and Aspartame like the plague.
  • JSaus13
    JSaus13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Kale anything. One of my favorite restaurants in my town ruined the Caesar salad by putting kale in it now. It's like chewing on plastic.

Oh and Starbucks. I refuse to spend $5+ on a coffee or latte or whatever it is that they want to call it just because of the cute names.
  • alexisslolypop
    alexisslolypop Posts: 4,593 Member
    Options
    It's not a food but... Coconut water :|
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I have one. It's awesome for making curly fries.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

Oh my, why have I never even considered this?! I've been programmed to make zoodles. LOL
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I could give it a pass for curly fries.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I've never really understood the zoodles thing. I suppose it's promoted by the people selling spiralizers. Zucchini and spaghetti squash taste so similar and spaghetti squash is already noodle shaped. Why not just eat the spaghetti squash?

I think a lot of people use raw zucchini so it saves cooking time, whereas spaghetti squash takes a while to cook? I dunno, though, as spiralizing is more time-intensive than I'm interested in -- I just chop zucchini up if I want to use it instead of spaghetti squash (I am more likely to have it on hand, but also more likely to just use it in a sauce).
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Soaked chia seeds. BLEH. Looking at them is enough to make me nauseous.

This. I don't normally have texture issues, but soaked chia seeds definitely have a texture issue. Totally reminds me of blood clots in test tubes.

Can't bring myself to buy/drink kombucha, either.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I've never really understood the zoodles thing. I suppose it's promoted by the people selling spiralizers. Zucchini and spaghetti squash taste so similar and spaghetti squash is already noodle shaped. Why not just eat the spaghetti squash?

I think a lot of people use raw zucchini so it saves cooking time, whereas spaghetti squash takes a while to cook? I dunno, though, as spiralizing is more time-intensive than I'm interested in -- I just chop zucchini up if I want to use it instead of spaghetti squash (I am more likely to have it on hand, but also more likely to just use it in a sauce).

Even a large spaghetti squash only takes about 10 min in the microwave. I doubt anyone is going to spiralize a zucchini in much less time, especially if you factor in time spent washing the spiralizer.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Any kind of nut "milk". And only because I don't believe for a minute it is "milk" of any sort. It's nut juice (which probably wouldn't sell as well).

And yes, I am aware I am being absurd, but for some reason this one has always irritated me. :)

hjzzvs2d0lxv.jpg

LMAO so hard, now my eyes are peeing!

OMG I totally missed the image when this was posted! HAHAHAHA!!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I saw a thing where people used a big grater to grate big strips of zucchini. And used it in place of pasta to make ravioli. Looked cool. For people that can't eat regular pasta. Used cheeses and tomato sauce.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Soylent. Sounds really gross.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Even a large spaghetti squash only takes about 10 min in the microwave. I doubt anyone is going to spiralize a zucchini in much less time, especially if you factor in time spent washing the spiralizer.

I've never cooked one in the microwave -- does it taste the same? Do you chop it up first? (Chopping winter squash was always why I used to tend not to cook them, seemed a pain. Now I'm over that (largely due to having much better knives), but I get that others might not be. Even so, chopping, scrapping out the seeds, and roasting seems more time intensive than just spiralizing some summer squash. But then I am the laziest person in the world and find the benefit of summer squash is that it takes no time to chop and sautee, so won't be spiralizing it, just speculating.) ;-)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I've never cooked one in the microwave -- does it taste the same? Do you chop it up first? (Chopping winter squash was always why I used to tend not to cook them, seemed a pain. Now I'm over that (largely due to having much better knives), but I get that others might not be. Even so, chopping, scrapping out the seeds, and roasting seems more time intensive than just spiralizing some summer squash. But then I am the laziest person in the world and find the benefit of summer squash is that it takes no time to chop and sautee, so won't be spiralizing it, just speculating.) ;-)

I don't cut it first because, as you say, cutting winter squash is a PITA. I just stab it a few times (while making Psycho noises) to release air and pop the whole thing in the microwave. Once cooked it slices as easily as a summer squash.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Wow, cool. I'll have to try that.