What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Trendy food I see everyone in MFP eat is oatmeal.. this is outlawed in my home..

Also anything pumpkin!!!!!!! And this kale thing, its just a thing.. hate that too..

Oatmeal is trendy?? huh. Who knew.

Funny...my mom fed this to me for breakfast most days for basically my entire childhood...

quaker_oats_CC--amber_kennedy.jpg

It seems like the only time I didn't have oatmeal for breakfast was on the weekends when my dad cooked breakfast...bacon, eggs, and potatoes on Saturday and pancakes on Sunday.

I think maybe steel cut oats might be trendy...but then again, my wife is 1st generation Scottish American and she grew up on steel cut "real oats" as she says...I actually prefer the texture but I have enough cooking and prepping going on as it is so we compromise and get Coach's Oats which have a very similar texture but you can nuke 'em...
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Chia seeds. Tried it once and it grossed me out

I never tried it but I know so many people that swear by it. I just don't understand the purpose of it.

1/3 of its weight is fiber.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Sriracha.
    I have been eating various hot sauces for decades before it was cool and I do not understand the hype.
    I was eating "sriracha" when it was all that was available in some restaurants through the 90's but we just called it "Rooster Sauce".
    Valentina (regular or extra hot) is as good or better, for about 99 cents.

Have you had Marie Sharp's? You have to get it on Amazon (unless you live in Belize). It's freaking awesome!

They have it in a few stores around here, best hot sauce I've tried.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    jprewitt1 wrote: »
    reneeelc wrote: »
    Also, I don't eat sushi. I'm a vegetarian but wouldn't pay for vegetarian sushi. :hushed:

Vegetarian sushi? Since sushi is just raw fish with flavorings and seaweed, would vegetarian sushi just be vegetables with dip?

Many sushi chefs will tell you the rice is the most important part.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yeah I'll give it a shot, but it is hard to beat about a penny per ounce like I said.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pumpkin and apple pies and any other dessert with those spices in them. I first had hummus in Iraq on deployment and have loved it ever since (along with sesame cakes and baklava). I dont care if foods I like become "trendy" or not.

The only trend that irks me is the fat-free / gluten free garbage. Freekin gummy bears labled as "fat free"? well DUH! It's sugar and gelatin. That can of tuna is free of gluten? how idiotic some people are.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I grow kale every fall. It is an unfussy vegetable. Grows fast and holds up to frosts. It's earthy flavor goes well with the bean soups I make all winter. However, that is really the only thing it's good for. Kale chips taste like spicy farts. Kale salads are impossible to chew. Vegetables in smoothies in general are just... no.

I LOL'd at the comment about people brushing their teeth with turmeric. It takes me a week to get the turmeric stains off my laminate countertops when I make curry. I can imagine what these peoples' teeth and lips look like. I've gotta search YouTube for this!

Gluten-free and GMO-free labels make me cringe. I know it is just marketing, but pandering to people who don't understand science makes me sad.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Chia seeds. Tried it once and it grossed me out

I never tried it but I know so many people that swear by it. I just don't understand the purpose of it.

1/3 of its weight is fiber.

Oh no wonder they kept saying it was filling.

• renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Kale.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Any kind of nut "milk". And only because I don't believe for a minute it is "milk" of any sort. It's nut juice (which probably wouldn't sell as well).

And yes, I am aware I am being absurd, but for some reason this one has always irritated me. :)

So what do you call the contents of the cans of the grated meat of a mature coconut, "coconut juice"?

The difference is, coconuts produce the substance themselves, making it milk, no?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Just a note about the gluten free label. I know someone who is super sensitive and reacts to eggs from grain feed chickens so I am guessing there must be trace amounts of gluten in them

There are also a lot of products that you wouldn't think had gluten in them that do. Having dealt with severe food allergies for years the label doesn't seem weird to me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I live in hipsterville. Old Style beer is popular around here. It is gross. I don't get it.

Old Style is in somewhere? Weird. Kind of cool (yeah, it's absolutely terrible), but weird. There's a million old Old Style signs on genuine old dive bars around here still, but I don't think it's trendy even in hipsterville. Too much of a mainstream standby for too long.

And in Oklahoma, I had never seen or heard of it until the last few years. First I saw it on the TV show "Shameless" and just assumed it was one of those prop beers like the cans that just say "BEER" used for the show... Then all of the sudden it started showing it up in the local bars. That and Hamms... Which is also disgusting. PBR has been around here a long time but definitely has had a resurgence as of late.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sriracha.
    I have been eating various hot sauces for decades before it was cool and I do not understand the hype.
    I was eating "sriracha" when it was all that was available in some restaurants through the 90's but we just called it "Rooster Sauce".

Have you had Marie Sharp's? You have to get it on Amazon (unless you live in Belize). It's freaking awesome!

I brought 12 bottles home with me from Belize years ago...that stuff is awesome. I can sometimes find it here at Sprouts Market.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Seaweed "chips". They taste like ocean-rot.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I grow kale every fall. It is an unfussy vegetable. Grows fast and holds up to frosts. It's earthy flavor goes well with the bean soups I make all winter. However, that is really the only thing it's good for. Kale chips taste like spicy farts. Kale salads are impossible to chew. Vegetables in smoothies in general are just... no.

ಠ_ಠ
    I LOL'd at the comment about people brushing their teeth with turmeric. It takes me a week to get the turmeric stains off my laminate countertops when I make curry. I can imagine what these peoples' teeth and lips look like. I've gotta search YouTube for this!

Might as well make a toothpaste out of turmeric, red wine, tobacco, and coffee. Don't forget the coconut oil to kill all the toxxxxinnnnsz!
    Gluten-free and GMO-free labels make me cringe. I know it is just marketing, but pandering to people who don't understand science makes me sad.

I think somebody already mentioned this, but Gluten-free labels are often helpful for people with serious sensitivity to gluten because there are crops (oats, for example) that are often contaminated with wheat, rye or barley.

I don't have an issue with food labels. Let people eat what they wish to eat, regardless of whether or not anybody agrees with their reasons.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Sriracha.

I brought 12 bottles home with me from Belize years ago...that stuff is awesome. I can sometimes find it here at Sprouts Market.

I wish I could find it in stores. When we went to Belize, I had people asking me to bring back bottles. It's seriously the best. I will pay more for it via Amazon. I think it was like $1.50 a bottle in Belize, and about $8 on Amazon. Still worth it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Anything "organic", non-GMO, green, or other woo and quackery.