What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Kale, Chia seeds, quinona.

And I'm with Alatarier- anything that says gluten free, like effing water- no a**holes. NO.

My co-worker brought in corn chips, raving about how they were gluten-free. Ugh.

most gluten free things taste like *kitten*.

And I don't understand peoples obsession with them. Either you have an intolerance/sensitivity or you're an idiot- because they generally are not tasty and there is 100% no reason to go out of your way to purchase gluten free. It's more expensive and tastes worse. So- don't. Unless you have an actual f*****g issue.

Exactly. And they were freaking CORN chips!

*kitten* like that hurts my feelings
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Red meat.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Greek yogurt, ccocnut water

is greek yogurt a trend? its the only yogurt i ate growing up and im 30. it has like tripple thr protien.. good trend if u ask me.

This. I can't do "regular" yogurt. Something about it just hits me as vile. Greek yogurt though, I love. I've tried all of the variations I can find (0%, 2%, and full fat) and I have loved all of them.

I'm the same way. I LOVE me some greek yogurt, but the other just seems "slimy" to me...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Sriracha.
    I have been eating various hot sauces for decades before it was cool and I do not understand the hype.
    I was eating "sriracha" when it was all that was available in some restaurants through the 90's but we just called it "Rooster Sauce".
    Valentina (regular or extra hot) is as good or better, for about 99 cents.

Have you had Marie Sharp's? You have to get it on Amazon (unless you live in Belize). It's freaking awesome!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Pumpkin spiced everything. Barf.

Powdered peanut butter. To me, it defeats the purpose.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, I eat eggs, but I find it really annoying when they print "Gluten Free" on the carton. You don't say, eggs are gluten free? How stupid do they think their consumers are? Maybe the lack of gluten in your diet makes you retarded?

I don't buy any type of so called energy drinks. Being jacked up is not energy. What a BS scam that is.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Have you had Marie Sharp's? You have to get it on Amazon (unless you live in Belize). It's freaking awesome!
    I've heard about it, but haven't tried it. I'll add it to the list to try sometime.
    I go for the flavor profile balanced against the price.
    Hard to beat less than a penny an once for something like Valentina.

Arigatou gozaimasu!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Things like chia seeds and kombucha...

Much of what people have listed I just see as food...I've been eating humus since I was a child...I don't really see it as "trendy". I guess quinoa is trendy, but I've been eating it for years after a trip to Peru where it is a staple food. I've always loved coconut oil...I was sad when they stopped using it to make popcorn in movie theaters in the 90s...but yeah, it's kind of silly that it's now a "super food".

I guess that's what I find amusing and annoying at the same time...normal foods suddenly being marketed as "super"...it's just silliness...
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    renae161 wrote: »
    What is tumeric? I saw that on YouTube on all the videos. People putting it on their face& teeth etc. It kind of looks like a weird mustard seasoning.

Tumeric is a spice. That's not trendy, you have been eating it for years in curries.

In curries yes, but all of a sudden it's appearing in smoothies and lattes and scrambled eggs and all sorts of places it doesn't belong. I think there's a theory that it has some special cancer-fighting properties and people are leaping on the runaway turmeric bandwagon.

It's supposed to be very good for different things such as psoriasis (and other skin ailments), arthritis (various kinds) and a few other things that I can't think of. I'll stick to my Humira.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but kale "chips" are disgusting.

Kale anything sucks if you ask me. It's the most bitter fibrous crap out there. Can't stand it. I even tried putting it in smoothies and it made them taste like crap too.
  • fatsince4
    fatsince4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    chia seeds, hemp seeds, quinoa, coconut water, kombucha, kale, anything specifically marketed as organic or gmo free.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm realizing how "basic" I really am because apparently, I love way too many "trendy" foods.

Starbucks (I'm been drinking this for close to 20 years now, not going to change just because it became trendy)
    Veggie Chips (they just taste good)
    Hummus (Only Sabra and preferably Roasted Red Pepper)
    Greek Yogurt (I'm basic here - I like mine with honey)
    Pumpkin Spice
    Seasonal Coffees (there's a little coffee shop that grinds the best Winter Wonderland and Rocky Road coffee - to die for!)
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (my daughter is allergic to cow's milk)
    Loose tea leaves (I have a cabinet shelf dedicated to my obsession with tea)
    Soy Burgers (I've been eating these for 25 years - LOVE THEM!)

Now for the trendy stuff I won't buy into for whatever reason:

Chia Seeds (I'm a texture person and I see myself gagging. I tried the flax seeds - I gagged.)
    Lentils (I need to find a good way to prepare them because they really ARE good for you)
    Coconut Anything (while I know the proven benefits, just don't feel like I NEED it.)
    Kale (I made a kale smoothie once that looked delicious on a friend's FB post. One sip and it was getting dumped.)

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Yogurt in each and every form. :|

Also, there are so many delicious things in season in the Fall. Pumpkin can sit its *kitten* down. Especially when pumpkin beer overtakes every draft list this side of the Mississippi.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Any food or drink from Starbucks.
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil (too expensive). Any nutritional drink like Shakeology. Those nasty 100 calorie junk food packs.
  • HayItsRenee
    Options
    Oh.. Kombucha. That stuff is nasty.
  • HayItsRenee
    Options
    Also, I don't eat sushi. I'm a vegetarian but wouldn't pay for vegetarian sushi. :hushed:
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    Pumpkin Spice Lattes

THIS and anything at coffee shops made out of pumpkin.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Any food or drink from Starbucks.

Amen.