What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I buy coconut oil.

But only because it makes delicious popcorn. B)
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is really 'in' at the moment for some reason.
    I can't stand it, all it's good for is staining your kitchen utensils yellow.

Thank Pinterest
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    renae161 wrote: »
    What is tumeric? I saw that on YouTube on all the videos. People putting it on their face& teeth etc. It kind of looks like a weird mustard seasoning.

Tumeric is a spice. That's not trendy, you have been eating it for years in curries.

In curries yes, but all of a sudden it's appearing in smoothies and lattes and scrambled eggs and all sorts of places it doesn't belong. I think there's a theory that it has some special cancer-fighting properties and people are leaping on the runaway turmeric bandwagon.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Well, I liked kale before it was cool. So I'm a kale hipster.

I don't buy coconut oil because I don't buy the claims that's it's now healthy.

Any new superfood to come down the pike. I still haven't had anything acai berry. Now I'm suddenly seeing sacha inchi seeds. Never heard of them. The last thing was hemp hearts. They had too many calories. Didn't buy them either.'

Oh, and I don't like Starbucks coffee. I think it tastes burnt.

Agree and too expensive....I go for other treats
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I buy food I like. I don't buy food I don't like. If a food is 'trendy' and I like it, I buy it. If I don't like it, I don't.

+1

I've been eating hummus and dark chocolate for years ... long before I heard they were 'trendy'. In fact, this thread is the first I've heard of hummus being 'trendy'. But then I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing.

I've been going through this list and I've been eating several items here for years ... or it is something that just works for me.

I mentioned hummus and dark chocolate. I've been eating hummus for 5+ years, and dark chocolate since I was a child.

I've also been eating granola since I was a kid ... and now I'm craving it. Thank you very much.

Tumeric is a spice. I worked in a bulk food and spice shop for a while back in the 1990s, and became familiar with a lot of stuff that waxes and wanes in popularity. Remember wild rice?

I've been drinking flavour infused coffees since the mid 2000s. My university served them. :) It was either that or some organic eco coffee that tasted like mud ... or wild rice.

I've been using tofu since about 1999.

Quinoa, I tried and liked for variety. So I'll have rice or couscous or quinoa or some sort of pasta with one or two of my meals each day. Whatever I'm in the mood for.

Almond milk was a godsend! I can't drink real milk, and didn't like the amount of calories in soy milk when I tried it back in the early 2000s, plus soy milk doesn't sit all that well with me either, so when someone here mentioned almond milk (plain, unsweetened), I gave it a try and it's lovely.

I don't go out of my way for gluten free stuff, but discovered that I LOVE a certain gluten free dessert found in restaurants in Tasmania and Victoria. I ordered it the first time simply because it was the only thing on the menu that appealed to me on a particular occasion. Great choice!

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sushi. I quite like raw tuna, but nori activates my gag reflexes.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    "Dark" chocolate.

Despite it being the go to answer for every single ill in the known universe I find it repulsive.

Dark chocolate is trendy now? I've preferred it to milk chocolate since I was a kid. Oh god, did I just become a chocolate hipster?

Yes, but your secret is safe with us.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Oh, and I don't like Starbucks coffee. I think it tastes burnt.

OMG I thought I was the only one. Can't stand the stuff.

Oh no, there are many of us. I'd rather drink gas station coffee than Charbucks.

FTFY
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Kale, Chia seeds, quinona.

And I'm with Alatarier- anything that says gluten free, like effing water- no a**holes. NO.

My co-worker brought in corn chips, raving about how they were gluten-free. Ugh.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

And I'm with Alatarier- anything that says gluten free, like effing water- no a**holes. NO.

My co-worker brought in corn chips, raving about how they were gluten-free. Ugh.

most gluten free things taste like *kitten*.

And I don't understand peoples obsession with them. Either you have an intolerance/sensitivity or you're an idiot- because they generally are not tasty and there is 100% no reason to go out of your way to purchase gluten free. It's more expensive and tastes worse. So- don't. Unless you have an actual f*****g issue.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    .... Mmm.... Actually I buy all kinds of healthy trendy foods these days... But they all actually taste great IMO. I've actually always liked the taste of 'healthy' food.

Except goji berries.

But they're okay in my quinoa breakfast bowl...

Also don't like leafy greens.

But they're good in smoothies.
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin spice anything

I agree!!
  • quiksylver296
    Options

most gluten free things taste like *kitten*.

And I don't understand peoples obsession with them. Either you have an intolerance/sensitivity or you're an idiot- because they generally are not tasty and there is 100% no reason to go out of your way to purchase gluten free. It's more expensive and tastes worse. So- don't. Unless you have an actual f*****g issue.

Exactly. And they were freaking CORN chips!
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hummus, Tofu, Coconut Water
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sriracha.
    I have been eating various hot sauces for decades before it was cool and I do not understand the hype.
    I was eating "sriracha" when it was all that was available in some restaurants through the 90's but we just called it "Rooster Sauce".
    Valentina (regular or extra hot) is as good or better, for about 99 cents.

And I am on board with you all about the "gluten free" crap.
    Unless you have been diagnosed by a doctor with celiac disease [not self-diagnosed] then it is just BS.

Same with "organic". Many people are stupid and/or ignorant.
    That is easy to market to.