What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to rice when I cook it to up the fiber content.
    If you want fiber then simply add beans, lentils, etc. instead.
    More fiber and protein.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Oh, I did think of something trendy I won't try - raw milk.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I live in hipsterville. Old Style beer is popular around here. It is gross. I don't get it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I live in hipsterville. Old Style beer is popular around here. It is gross. I don't get it.

Here too. PBR and Natty Lite are all the rage. Who knew my husband would one day be cool?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, any kind! Acai bowls! powdered peanut butter.
    I live in San Diego so i may be biased but acai bowls (well made not jamba juice bs) on the beach after surfing is pretty much heaven
    Yeah, hummus, I haven't tried it but it sounds disgusting.
    Avocados
    Sun dried tomatoes
    Chick peas
    Quinoa
    Kombucha
    Chai
    Bottled water
    Protein bars
    Granola
    Almond/soy/rice etc milk
    i dont think avocados had ever been trendy haha a pretty popular food for like all of time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well, I liked kale before it was cool. So I'm a kale hipster.

I don't buy coconut oil because I don't buy the claims that's it's now healthy.

I like it for some uses, but find it's trendiness annoying such that it turns me off.
    Any new superfood to come down the pike. I still haven't had anything acai berry. Now I'm suddenly seeing sacha inchi seeds. Never heard of them. The last thing was hemp hearts. They had too many calories. Didn't buy them either.'

Yup, no acai berry for me. No spirulina either (not in enough to have run into the inchi seeds yet!).

I've tried hemp hearts (kind of like them, add them to smoothies and oatmeal occasionally, but I am not convinced they are worth the calories), call me a skeptic. I'd add flaxseed (no taste, so for me not worth the calories), but I did discover that I enjoy chia seed pudding, so won't add those. I don't buy them, though.

Definitely no bullet proof coffee, ick, black coffee for me (agree, ideally not Starbucks, but that's not trendy anymore). ;-)

I'm pro tumeric in things, but not drinking it (or apple cider vinegar) with water on its own for alleged health benefits.

Love greens (including kale), love greens in smoothies, enjoy an occasional juice, but don't tell me it's a "detox juice," argh!

Fancy jerky seems to be kind of trendy, but I can't say I wouldn't buy it, since I've tried some. I'm pretty willing to stifle my embarrassment and try something trendy in case I actually like it.

Empanadas are super trendy in my neighborhood lately, and empanadas are amazing.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Any kind of nut "milk". And only because I don't believe for a minute it is "milk" of any sort. It's nut juice (which probably wouldn't sell as well).

And yes, I am aware I am being absurd, but for some reason this one has always irritated me. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Any kind of nut "milk". And only because I don't believe for a minute it is "milk" of any sort. It's nut juice (which probably wouldn't sell as well).

And yes, I am aware I am being absurd, but for some reason this one has always irritated me. :)

So what do you call the contents of the cans of the grated meat of a mature coconut, "coconut juice"?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Trendy food I see everyone in MFP eat is oatmeal.. this is outlawed in my home..

Also anything pumpkin!!!!!!! And this kale thing, its just a thing.. hate that too..

Oatmeal is trendy?? huh. Who knew.

I think of it as kind of old-fashioned and stodgy (it's my favorite if I'm sick comfort food usually). It might be trendy, though, based on this place, which has been open in my neighborhood a while now: http://froyochicago.com/

It seems to only have a fro yo bar and an oatmeal bar, and it's all about the trends: everything is vegan, gluten free, soy free, non GMO, fair trade (I approve, but it fits with the buzz word stuff), organic, and kosher (okay, trendy is not the correct word). It also features a bunch of so-called superfoods (which reminds me that matcha is another one I have no interest in).

It also has some tasty stuff, but at first I thought the various labels (all over the store front) were supposed to fit everything, so was confused, and I still mock how much it appeals to people following all the popular diets (as that is so my neighborhood). So in that sense, oatmeal seems on trend.

Other new places in my neighborhood -- Spanish place, empanada places (multiple), gelato places (multiple), and a juice bar is coming. Also, about 50 sports bars (not trendy). ;-)

Hmm, but if a "trend" hits my neighborhood that means it is past the hipster stage and to the point where Big 10 grads and urban professionals with kids who are probably from the 'burbs originally are doing it, so not cool anymore. So maybe it's not trendy after all.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

So what do you call the contents of the cans of the grated meat of a mature coconut, "coconut juice"?

That's exactly what I call it! B)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Quinoa, I tried and liked for variety. So I'll have rice or couscous or quinoa or some sort of pasta with one or two of my meals each day. Whatever I'm in the mood for.

Almond milk was a godsend! I can't drink real milk, and didn't like the amount of calories in soy milk when I tried it back in the early 2000s, plus soy milk doesn't sit all that well with me either, so when someone here mentioned almond milk (plain, unsweetened), I gave it a try and it's lovely.

I don't go out of my way for gluten free stuff, but discovered that I LOVE a certain gluten free dessert found in restaurants in Tasmania and Victoria. I ordered it the first time simply because it was the only thing on the menu that appealed to me on a particular occasion. Great choice!

I saw quinoa milk in a 99 cent store this past weekend and almost fell over. Might be something for you to try. I actually like quinoa if it's mixed into rice or something but by itself the texture is a bit much for me after a few bites.

I avoid foods labeled "organic" or "non-GMO" like the plague. Those are just fancy words for "more expensive", IMHO. I'm actually shopping less at Costco because they insist on only carrying some foods with those labels and I'll buy them elsewhere.

I agree completely on labeling things that in no way, shape or form would have a specific ingredient in them as being ingredient free. "Gluten free" frozen vegetables, eggs and chicken, really?. It's like the marketing departments at these companies think we're all idiots.

Powdered peanut butter tastes burnt to me. I bought some once and it's still sitting in the pantry.

The only thing I've used coconut oil on is my hair and I've been doing that for years. It actually works quite well
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2016
    Options

Old Style is in somewhere? Weird. Kind of cool (yeah, it's absolutely terrible), but weird. There's a million old Old Style signs on genuine old dive bars around here still, but I don't think it's trendy even in hipsterville. Too much of a mainstream standby for too long.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I call it! B)

:D
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Kale
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Here too. PBR and Natty Lite are all the rage. Who knew my husband would one day be cool?

PBR is a favorite but I've been drinking that for a long time, too. Thanks to the hipsters who have made it more available. :smile:
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I agree completely on labeling things that in no way, shape or form would have a specific ingredient in them as being ingredient free. "Gluten free" frozen vegetables, eggs and chicken, really?. It's like the marketing departments at these companies think we're all idiots.

Well, the reason it's labeled that way is because it does work. If it didn't work the companies wouldn't do it. I'm sure there's some sort of essay on our society at large someone could write here based on that, but no thanks...
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

More like nut tea.

I am usually curious enough to try things that become popular and if I like them, I am happy to have another option in my pantry. So I don't really understand why people are so repulsed by things in this thread just because they are popular. Chia seeds are pretty much flavorless when sprinkled in breakfast cereal - kind of like poppy seeds. I use them almost daily to help get to my daily fiber goal. I have also added them into frittatas and baked goods. Really no big deal. To me, they are just fiber.

Fresh baby spinach and kale are completely hidden in a yogurt and fruit smoothie (other than the color!). It's another opportunity to get some greens into me. And I like making smoothies sometimes for variety. I don't see that as being trendy. I add coconut water to my smoothies too. It's got a crap-ton of potassium and it's an easy source. I tend to run low on it. I also add almond butter because I like it and sometimes need more fat.

Quinoa is a nice change from rice on occasion. I don't see any reason to avoid it. A varied diet is a healthy diet. I cook mine in chicken broth.

Now, as for what I DO avoid... Never for a moment have I even been curious about juicing. Why would you want to remove all that fiber?
    Raw milk? Not interested. Seems too much trouble to find it anyway.
    Haven't tried kombucha, but I love kefir.

• hollystephenson94
    Options
    Burdock root. I don't know why you would wanna pay $5 a pound when you can find it growing anywhere... I just take a shovel with me when I do prairie restoration and get it for free75tak81uiqjy.jpg
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. Tried it once and it grossed me out

I never tried it but I know so many people that swear by it. I just don't understand the purpose of it.