What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Well, I liked kale before it was cool. So I'm a kale hipster.

I don't buy coconut oil because I don't buy the claims that's it's now healthy.

Any new superfood to come down the pike. I still haven't had anything acai berry. Now I'm suddenly seeing sacha inchi seeds. Never heard of them. The last thing was hemp hearts. They had too many calories. Didn't buy them either.'

Oh, and I don't like Starbucks coffee. I think it tastes burnt.

I think you're my long lost sister...
    Seriously, I have 5 sisters, and three of them are always on some food bandwagon or another. One eats chia seeds in everything, another Activia yoghurt. I eat plenty of vegetables and poop daily :neutral: Now I'll be on the lookout for sacha inchi seeds (whatever those are).

I never got into smoothies either, green or otherwise. If anyone wants a Magic Bullet, I'm sure someone in my family will have one to sell within the next 6 months...
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    reneeelc wrote: »
    Also, I don't eat sushi. I'm a vegetarian but wouldn't pay for vegetarian sushi. :hushed:

Vegetarian sushi? Since sushi is just raw fish with flavorings and seaweed, would vegetarian sushi just be vegetables with dip?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I haven't jumped on the Kale wagon.
    Coconut flour/oil
    Gluten free stuff
    Sugar free stuff (mostly)
    Quinoa (I tried... nope)
    Chia seeds ended up in the garbage, just too many calories for something that tastes like sadness.
    Those shitkari noodles or whatever. No thanks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »
    neldabg wrote: »
    Pumpkin Spice Lattes

THIS and anything at coffee shops made out of pumpkin.

Or made to seem to be made from pumpkin, more likely.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to say which trend I DID try. I've only tried coconut oil in my coffee. I'm pretty sure that it has helped my IBS, but beyond that I really just care that it tastes fabulous.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Anything Organic.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Trendy food I see everyone in MFP eat is oatmeal.. this is outlawed in my home..

Also anything pumpkin!!!!!!! And this kale thing, its just a thing.. hate that too..
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    MandaB9780 wrote: »
    I'm realizing how "basic" I really am because apparently, I love way too many "trendy" foods.

Starbucks (I'm been drinking this for close to 20 years now, not going to change just because it became trendy)
    Veggie Chips (they just taste good)
    Hummus (Only Sabra and preferably Roasted Red Pepper)
    Greek Yogurt (I'm basic here - I like mine with honey)
    Pumpkin Spice
    Seasonal Coffees (there's a little coffee shop that grinds the best Winter Wonderland and Rocky Road coffee - to die for!)
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (my daughter is allergic to cow's milk)
    Loose tea leaves (I have a cabinet shelf dedicated to my obsession with tea)
    Soy Burgers (I've been eating these for 25 years - LOVE THEM!)

Now for the trendy stuff I won't buy into for whatever reason:

Chia Seeds (I'm a texture person and I see myself gagging. I tried the flax seeds - I gagged.)
    Lentils (I need to find a good way to prepare them because they really ARE good for you)
    Coconut Anything (while I know the proven benefits, just don't feel like I NEED it.)
    Kale (I made a kale smoothie once that looked delicious on a friend's FB post. One sip and it was getting dumped.)

There are no "proven benefits." It's just another trendy item. So you're right, you don't need it unless you enjoy the taste. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Sriracha.
    I have been eating various hot sauces for decades before it was cool and I do not understand the hype.
    I was eating "sriracha" when it was all that was available in some restaurants through the 90's but we just called it "Rooster Sauce".
    Valentina (regular or extra hot) is as good or better, for about 99 cents.

And I am on board with you all about the "gluten free" crap.
    Unless you have been diagnosed by a doctor with celiac disease [not self-diagnosed] then it is just BS.

Same with "organic". Many people are stupid and/or ignorant.
    That is easy to market to.

I have an obsession with picamas - Guatemalan hot sauce. It's phenomenal. My sister in law brought it back for me maybe 3 years ago and it's been my go-to ever since. I do keep sriracha on hand (my best friend growing up was Vietnamese, so I was making my mom buy it years ago), and I do keep valentina, franks, green dragon, and peri peri on hand too. The hot sauce I use depends on the flavor of the meal.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned Apple Cider Vinegar? It has to be "with the mother," though, or it's worthless, apparently. <eye rolly>

I confess I do have a bottle in the fridge. Makes a lovely salad dressing, but that's it. :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    It's funny to read some of these because I don't think of them as trendy.

Fancy Coffee
    Kale greens (seriously? My Dad ate these, my mom called them northern greens.)
    Hummus (it is more recently a packaged grocery food but has been in restaurants for decades)
    Yogurt.

I'm thrilled to have a wider variety of foods available now, certainly. But some of what's getting pinged as unbearably trendy is just food that's been around and widely consumed since I was a kid.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    It's funny to read some of these because I don't think of them as trendy.

Fancy Coffee
    Kale greens (seriously? My Dad ate these, my mom called them northern greens.)
    Hummus (it is more recently a packaged grocery food but has been in restaurants for decades)
    Yogurt.

I'm thrilled to have a wider variety of foods available now, certainly. But some of what's getting pinged as unbearably trendy is just food that's been around and widely consumed since I was a kid.

I know, this thread reminds me how elastic the term "trendy" is . . . many of these foods have been a regular part of my life since childhood. It's very dependent on the food culture you grew up in, where you are in the world, your exposure to food media, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to answer the OP. Reading through these responses it sounds like everything is trendy. I buy (or grow) a lot of trendy foods it seems. But, I like to try new things. If I like them, I but them again. If not, I don't.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    frankie671 wrote: »
    Chia seeds. So expensive!

Chia seeds are where I draw the line too. I love "trendy" foods, variety, fusion, have always been an adventurous eater. Okra, spicy stuff, new flavors, texture, bring it.

chia seeds aren't food. Just unpleasant, they don't add anything positive to anything they are in.

Also I can't get with greens in smoothies. Never liked vegetable juice. Love vegetables and don't need to hide them in things.

And I am having mental pushback vs eating bugs. I know logically it makes sense to use them as a resource, and I like crawfish and shrimp, they look like bugs, but crickets, etc. are difficult for me to countenance.

I can't figure out what to put them in. It's a texture thing for me... welcome help..

I add chia seeds to rice when I cook it to up the fiber content.