What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I really don't refuse to purchase anything unless it's something hubby or I flat out don't like. Doesn't matter if it's trendy or not. *shrugs* I happen to like chia seeds and have them every day. I don't buy them because they are trendy though. I dislike the pumpkin spice craziness so don't buy that but it's because I don't like pumpkin flavored stuff LOL. It's pretty simple for me. Like = buy. Don't like = pass.

Exactly, I completely agree with everything except the pumpkin stuff cause I like pumpkin squash soup and pumpkin things :p I didnt like that pumpkin spice latte though when Starbucks introduced it some years back. I had one right before I went to the gym and I remember it being the most foul thing I ever taste. But, I'm always up for giving foods or drinks a second try before making any final decisions since some people like more or less sugar or other stuff added in and I don't think anyone makes everything the same way
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    i love this thread because of how angry everyone is [well, most people. i don't want the non-angry ones getting all angry at me for being lumped in with the angry folks].

- what i like is the way i bunkered down all through the ooo-eww-you-drink-coffee years where you just werent In unless you drank tea for its something-somethings. and sure enough looks like coffee's come right round again.

- it's kind of a dead/dying trend now (thank goodness), but i still feel like punching anyone who gives me something with that bizarre green mayonnaise stuff on it. mayonnaise is already putrid to me, there's no need to turn it green with some substance that gives you a flavour you can't get out of your mouth for three days.

- oh, and . . . sriracha, is that how it's spelled? blegh.

for people with real sensitivities or allergies it must be really irritating to see something that's a necessity them appropriated and hyped by dilettantes who are just looking for a few extra ways to make their so-precious selves even more better-er than they already think they are.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Idk how people don't like pumpkin spice, best flavor ever lol
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    tinuz wrote: »
    expired.....refuse to buy it

I dont think expired food ever became trendy ;)
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I like sriracha hot chili sauce, but I only eat it with pho. I don't like how last year it blew up in the media and everyone was putting it on everything and I think someone made a YouTube song about it too

https://youtu.be/D9RbhJ9O8Aw

I also like hot mustard and chili garlic sauce on my steamed rice and chow mein.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    matcha. that frothy green tea-wanna be--ick. I love green tea, but that matcha--not for me.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    People eat spackle?? I must get some next time I'm in Home Depot and fancy a snack.

heh. just saying that's what it tastes like to me. i'm so used to my unspecial regular yogurt the greek stuff is pretty tasteless. no tang.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
    Muscle Milk

I hate fitness-related foods.

and what isn't a "fitness related food"

That seems kinda an easy one to me.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Because it's a stimulant laxative? :)

i am not laughing. nope, not. i am above explosive-poop jokes.

here's one: bacon. not the food itself. i mean, i like bacon as much as anyone does, but where did this silly 'we live and die and worship bacon' thing come from? it's like some mass pointless conspiracy where everyone suddenly agrees to behave like bacon is the lost god of the incas and the elixir of all joy or something.

somebody's certain to say 'well, it is'. but i know you guys probably know what i mean.

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Dunno about all y'all, but I like trends because either I find out about something I hadn't tried before, or if something I already liked became trendy, then there's more of it. Either way, it's a win.

The only thing I don't like is when something I'm 'meh' on becomes trendy and something that I DO like is phased out to make room for more 'meh' stuff. SAD. FACE. O sweet delicious Fruit Gems, how I long for the days when I could find great masses of you in an enormous barrel and scoop out ALL THAT I WANTED.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole thread, but I'm split on a lot of what I've read. Some things I do eat and enjoy and other items I'm in total agreement.

What I have no interest in buying are those protein bars like Quest.

Money is not the issue for me and there are great flavors and lots of protein, but I just rather make my own bars.

I know exactly what ingredients I am using and I control what flavors and stuff I add but hey, to each their own.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Well, my purchasing decisions are not based on the "trendiness" of something. I like to try new things, but if I don't like them I don't buy them again, regardless of how trendy they are. I've been eating hummus and Greek yogurt since I was a child way before they became trendy, so yes I still buy them because they are staples in my diet (as in way of eating).

Things I refuse to buy? Anything marketed for a niche customer or for specific health conditions that is twice as expensive as the regular stuff (gluten free, vegan, organic, keto, homemade, 100 calorie packs...etc). I don't have any dietary restrictions so these aren't worth it to me, and a 2-finger KitKat is a 100 calorie pack, I don't need to pay extra for things are are marketed specifically as 100 calorie packs.

I also don't buy fat free greek yogurt. Too expensive, hard to find and not as tasty as the regular stuff sold in every shop.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Oh, I did think of something trendy I won't try - raw milk.

I grew up drinking raw milk. From cows who weren't given hormones or antibiotics. Gasp.

Nothing wrong with it if the person doing the milking properly cleans/sterilizes. When I started drinking the pasturized, hormone and antibiotic laced dairy you get at the grocery, I started getting debilitating migraines. No milk=no migraine. I'm not big on the whole organic craze, but milk makes me think twice.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Raw kale and kale chips are nasty. Properly cooked kale (usually cooked with bacon grease) is very good. I have been eating kale and collard greens since the 1970's.

I don't get the smoothie/juicing fad. I would much rather eat my food.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Diabetic candy there yummy until they send you running to the washroom
    Sweet potato
    Yogurt
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, forgot one: meal replacement shakes. What a waste of money and calories to me.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Because it's a stimulant laxative? :)

i am not laughing. nope, not. i am above explosive-poop jokes.

here's one: bacon. not the food itself. i mean, i like bacon as much as anyone does, but where did this silly 'we live and die and worship bacon' thing come from? it's like some mass pointless conspiracy where everyone suddenly agrees to behave like bacon is the lost god of the incas and the elixir of all joy or something.

somebody's certain to say 'well, it is'. but i know you guys probably know what i mean.

fr26lfdd3gtu.jpg

;)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    for people with real sensitivities or allergies it must be really irritating to see something that's a necessity them appropriated and hyped by dilettantes who are just looking for a few extra ways to make their so-precious selves even more better-er than they already think they are.

I have a malabsorption disorder. So, I have to be on a strict diet. It's challenging enough. So, I don't waste my time getting upset about this concept. How do I know if people have a medical condition or not? How do people know if I do? I get more annoyed by people that can eat whatever they want complaining about other people's food related medical issues. Though I try to ignore it. People complain because they think things aren't a medical condition. Like they require medical details and doctor confirmation. And they think they know all the medical conditions out there, but I didn't know until it happened to me, there's a lot that doctors don't even know (if they knew everything then everything would be so simple and easy with cures and stuff), but bodies sometimes have complex issues. Then they complain that someone explained the medical issues. If they weren't so concerned about confirmation then no one would tell them the medical issues. No one wants to share that. I just think people should have fun, enjoy life, enjoy food, be happy, be grateful, and not worry about the details of other people's food related medical issues. On the bright side I am doing so much better since we realized what I was malabsorbing and how that was causing my medical problems. And how to manage it.

But, before I developed this malabsorption disorder my motto was that I would pretty much try anything once. Now, I focus on a non-food related social life