Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    The PF I go to has so many people lifting I can't get to the equipment without a good wait. Good cross section of members from college students to the elderly.
    What I don't like though is people loading up bars with 100s of lbs of weight that I need help unracking.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    The PF I go to has so many people lifting I can't get to the equipment without a good wait. Good cross section of members from college students to the elderly.
    What I don't like though is people loading up bars with 100s of lbs of weight that I need help unracking.

You should never have to unrack another's weights. Demand justice!
  • a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    Options

You aren't the first to mention screaming but I honestly don't think I've heard this in a gym. Are you talking about people grunting loudly lifting or do people actually scream? Honestly, I don't recall ever witnessing screaming.

Well, just to add my two cents on the grunting/screaming and weight dropping, I've got two stories from my previous gym that go against the "no one's doing it on purpose" perspective:

There was a dude there, maybe 6'2" and pretty lanky who was just generally bad at gym etiquette (stuff like not unloading his weight after squatting and leaving the bar all the way at the top of the rack where my 5'5" *kitten* couldn't reach it.) But the most annoying thing about him was that he grunted/yelled a sort of "UNGH!" that you could hear across the gym over the sound of your headphones on every single rep of every set.

I'm not talking heavy lifting either. The most memorable instance was while he was leaning against the dumbbell rack doing one-arm rows with 25 lb dumbbells. He then just opened his hand and let the weight drop to the floor when he was done. No effort at all made to put down a weight which I as a 30-something female can lift in relative silence and place quietly on the floor afterwards. My husband finally told him what a previous poster said his wife told someone: That if he had to drop it he wasn't strong enough to be lifting it. He at least stopped throwing *kitten* on the floor after that. The scream-grunting continued.

On another occasion, when we were in the gym at night (not our usual hours) there were a group of young gym bros there talking loudly in the corner, which in itself wasn't really a bother. But one guy decided to start deadlifting using what I can only assume was his interpretation of the "bounce" method. What it translated to was him basically throwing the weight down, causing it to bounce several inches off the floor, and then riding the force back up to the top, over and over. The portion of the gym he was in was upstairs, directly over the locker rooms, and when I went to change shortly thereafter, the ceiling of the locker room was shaking and all the lockers were rattling.

So, yeah. Needing to put a heavy deadlift down fast, or grunting on those last few reps is one thing (and I do both). But not all grunts and weight-drops are created equal.

That said, my biggest gym annoyance is still that my gym closed without warning and took off with my membership fees.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    So glad I don't go to the same gym as you, you sound like the kind of person I was worried about when I started going to the gym.
    It's a long freaking list.

-people who wait ON the machines - Where do you want them to wait? Seriously confused with this one, not that I use machines other than lat pull down and assisted pull up

How is this confusing? Get OFF of the machine if you are not using it.

Stand in between machines, do a lap around the room, step aside, whatever makes sense in the particular space. What you do NOT have the right to do is to slow down someone else's workout for no reason.

If you spend 30 minutes sitting on a machine taking up space and checking your e-mail, you may be preventing me from finishing my circuit and being able to go home. If you need a chair, go find an actual chair somewhere else in the gym. Weight areas are not meant for sitting.

I'm curious, have you ever just nicely asked "Do you mind if I work in while you're resting between sets?"

Yaaaaaaaaaasssss.
  • lilsabi93
    lilsabi93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When you're in mid workout and someone hits on u, and u try not to be rude so u engage in the conversation just for the guy to ramble on and on; then the machine you were doing sets on gets taken and u have no one to blame but yourself because you should've grew some balls told the guy to leave you alone
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    lilsabi93 wrote: »
    you should've grew some balls told the guy to leave you alone

If you did that, he probably would leave you alone.

My biggest workout annoyance is when my husband wants to come down the stairs when I'm in the middle of doing step aerobics on the bottom step. So inconsiderate! Can't you see I'm working out here?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    There's some evidence of people incorrectly associating bodybuilding with low iq's and I understand that PF's use of the word "lunk" perpetuates that myth, and can be considered offensive, but I would argue that if we were to try to measure who was on the lower rung of our social ladder, obese people or bodybuilders, I'd say it's easily obese people. If you could convince obese people to come to a gym without slamming bodybuilders, so much the better, but if calling bodybuilders "lunks" gets more obese people into the gym perhaps the end justifies the means. Bodybuilders have broad shoulders, figuratively speaking,

So it's just fine and dandy to put down a group of people who are tough enough to take it, as long as the fragile obese people are exercising?

Gotcha. Nice moral reasoning there.
    I don't think he's saying its fine and dandy. Maybe the lesser evil.

I had no idea that PF had an actual alarm that went off.

Same! I always thought the "lunk alarm" was figurative. Its a pretty amazing revelation. I have so many questions... Can anyone pull it? Is it not more disruptive than the grunting/dropping? Is it a volume thing? An intimidation thing? Like, if you drop the 5lb-ers, would you set it off? What happens to the perpetrator? Do they just go about their business after public humiliation? Looking for vids now cause there is no way someone does not flip their kitten after being adrenaline-fueled and called out in a public space. Moral issues aside, its got to be a fascinating social experiment. :p

Anyway, my biggest annoyance would be people trying to talk to you with your headphones in.

I'm amazed that the headphones thing actually seems to be a top 10 annoyance on this thread. I guess people actually wear those to avoid talking to others and not just because the music loop sucks lol.

It gets you out of your "zone" when there is someone breaking into your space talking or a sudden startling noise, for example.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    a45cal wrote: »

You aren't the first to mention screaming but I honestly don't think I've heard this in a gym. Are you talking about people grunting loudly lifting or do people actually scream? Honestly, I don't recall ever witnessing screaming.

Well, just to add my two cents on the grunting/screaming and weight dropping, I've got two stories from my previous gym that go against the "no one's doing it on purpose" perspective:

There was a dude there, maybe 6'2" and pretty lanky who was just generally bad at gym etiquette (stuff like not unloading his weight after squatting and leaving the bar all the way at the top of the rack where my 5'5" *kitten* couldn't reach it.) But the most annoying thing about him was that he grunted/yelled a sort of "UNGH!" that you could hear across the gym over the sound of your headphones on every single rep of every set.

I'm not talking heavy lifting either. The most memorable instance was while he was leaning against the dumbbell rack doing one-arm rows with 25 lb dumbbells. He then just opened his hand and let the weight drop to the floor when he was done. No effort at all made to put down a weight which I as a 30-something female can lift in relative silence and place quietly on the floor afterwards. My husband finally told him what a previous poster said his wife told someone: That if he had to drop it he wasn't strong enough to be lifting it. He at least stopped throwing *kitten* on the floor after that. ]The scream-grunting continued.

On another occasion, when we were in the gym at night (not our usual hours) there were a group of young gym bros there talking loudly in the corner, which in itself wasn't really a bother. But one guy decided to start deadlifting using what I can only assume was his interpretation of the "bounce" method. What it translated to was him basically throwing the weight down, causing it to bounce several inches off the floor, and then riding the force back up to the top, over and over.The portion of the gym he was in was upstairs, directly over the locker rooms, and when I went to change shortly thereafter, the ceiling of the locker room was shaking and all the lockers were rattling.

So, yeah. Needing to put a heavy deadlift down fast, or grunting on those last few reps is one thing (and I do both). But not all grunts and weight-drops are created equal.

That said, my biggest gym annoyance is still that my gym closed without warning and took off with my membership fees.

Yeah. I honestly don't mind the normal grunting and huffing and hooah sounds. Totally cool. I fully understand that is natural and normal and not really controllable when lifting megaweights. It's the throwing down hard clangs and loud primal yells that can be over the top and distracting.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    There's some evidence of people incorrectly associating bodybuilding with low iq's and I understand that PF's use of the word "lunk" perpetuates that myth, and can be considered offensive, but I would argue that if we were to try to measure who was on the lower rung of our social ladder, obese people or bodybuilders, I'd say it's easily obese people. If you could convince obese people to come to a gym without slamming bodybuilders, so much the better, but if calling bodybuilders "lunks" gets more obese people into the gym perhaps the end justifies the means. Bodybuilders have broad shoulders, figuratively speaking,

So it's just fine and dandy to put down a group of people who are tough enough to take it, as long as the fragile obese people are exercising?

Were it MY company I wouldn't use a derogatory term in my marketing even if it meant improved sales or profits. It's just not who I am. But I wouldn't sign a petition forcing PF to remove the word "lunk" unless someone could show me that it does nothing to increase the likelihood that obese people would go to the gym.

I can't see how my moral reasoning is faulty here, unless you believe that the whole "lunk" or "meathead" association with bodybuilders is increasing. I don't. IMO bodybuilding has become more mainstream and that association is decreasing.

Moving goalposts here. Now the bar for questionable ethics in the scenario is that bodybuilders have to be actively harmed in an increasing fashion by PF's use of the term in order for this whole equivalence scenario your presented to be wrong.

You're the one who said it was okay, bodybuilders could take it, so sure, put them down so that the obese people felt comfortable.

Sure, Plus Size models can take it, they're rich and famous. So let me call them some name for their clothing choices that might be unflattering so people of size who can't afford to dress that way don't feel bad about themselves.

Same difference, right?

It's not a discussion I've had with anyone before, I'm thinking through why I don't find the use of the term "lunk" as offensive as others have.

I had trouble figuring out the plus sized versus low income example you gave me. Let's take away the plus sized part of it and ask if it would be okay to mock people who spend large sums of money on clothing so that people who can't afford those clothes feel better about themselves. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't be up in arms if someone else did.

The social underdog thing matters to me. I would, for instance, find it more offensive if a plus sized model were mocked for her size than an underweight model.

I know you like analyzing things to death, so I'll cut to the meat of where I think you're coming from.

You root for the underdog, and feel that the ends justify the means in upholding that morality.

I do not think the ends justify the means.

I think all people, regardless of being underdogs or not, are entitled to be treated with respect and dignity. That includes not being called names and not being pitted against each other.

Frankly, I find your stance morally repugnant, because you've gone as far as defending the use of derogatory language (which should never be okay) depending on who it was used against. That means your ethics are situational.

Mine aren't.

I don't mock people. It makes me boring, but it's just not something I do. People are mocked on MFP all the time. Are you offended each and every time, or does it depend on the situation?

I'm startled by your use of the word "repugnant". Here I am thinking we were all having a friendly discussion. This just isn't a topic I'm passionate enough about to get into a brawl over. I'm out.

Btw, it's unfortunate we went down this path. I quite liked reading many of your posts.

You may not personally mock people, but you're okay with a corporate policy that mocks people that aren't the underdog since it supports the underdogs going to the gym.

I think that fairly sums up your position.

Yes, I do find all mocking offensive. I don't find sarcastic mocking pf oneself offensive, though, if it's being done in a light-hearted manner.

I find situational ethics morally repugnant, yes. If something is wrong (mocking, when it's being done with serious intent), then it is wrong. Full stop.

Hmmm...I put some thought into why many people get more upset about an obese person being mocked than a thin/fit person.

I think it's a similar comparison to what many (not me) call "reverse racism"...in that it's not even close to the same thing.

The odd person may give a thin person grief "eat a hamburger, blah blah blah" and yes, of course it can hurt your feelings or annoy you. What obese people get however, day in and day out from ALL of society..."you'rr lazy, you're ugly, you're not worthy of love, you're stupid...blah blah blah". It's a different thing and I think comparing the two is offensive.

You think thin shaming is a-okay?

I can't even. I was really good friends growing up with a girl who was really skinny, and she was hugely embarrassed by it, and as uncomfortable in her body as I was in my fat body.

No one should be body shamed, and who are you or anyone to decide who gets to be "more"?

Now, there are areas where the idea of privilege enters the discussion and adds nuance like race, but that doesn't apply here at all.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I have a naturally skinny friend, she gets much more grief for it than I ever have for being fat. Maybe I carry my weight unobtrusively, but I think it's more to do with people thinking everyone wants to be skinny and so it's OK to comment on it - even to the point of rudeness.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have a naturally skinny friend, she gets much more grief for it than I ever have for being fat. Maybe I carry my weight unobtrusively, but I think it's more to do with people thinking everyone wants to be skinny and so it's OK to comment on it - even to the point of rudeness.

Those people who think it's "okay" to make derogatory comments are all showing themselves to be idiots. Or a word that the swear filter would edit out.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    a45cal wrote: »

I'm not talking heavy lifting either. The most memorable instance was while he was leaning against the dumbbell rack doing one-arm rows with 25 lb dumbbells. He then just opened his hand and let the weight drop to the floor when he was done. No effort at all made to put down a weight which I as a 30-something female can lift in relative silence and place quietly on the floor afterwards. My husband finally told him what a previous poster said his wife told someone: That if he had to drop it he wasn't strong enough to be lifting it. He at least stopped throwing *kitten* on the floor after that. The scream-grunting continued.

On another occasion, when we were in the gym at night (not our usual hours) there were a group of young gym bros there talking loudly in the corner, which in itself wasn't really a bother. But one guy decided to start deadlifting using what I can only assume was his interpretation of the "bounce" method. What it translated to was him basically throwing the weight down, causing it to bounce several inches off the floor, and then riding the force back up to the top, over and over. The portion of the gym he was in was upstairs, directly over the locker rooms, and when I went to change shortly thereafter, the ceiling of the locker room was shaking and all the lockers were rattling.

Yeah, that guy was definitely an attention *kitten and needs to get a life. The bouncing is a CrossFit thing but you are in a box and everyone is doing it with bumper plates so it's expected there but not in the middle of a commercial gym, besides as a powerlifter I really hate CrossFit deadlift techniques, they are just dangerous when you bounce and hitch with no regard for form or your L4&5 (and I knew more than a few that injured their lower backs from it).

I was in the pool at my gym a couple weeks ago and there were a group of teen boys there, probably 17-19, and they were wrestling and yelling. Finally, I yelled at them to quit *kitten around. They seemed shocked that someone else would actually be upset with their idiocy but they took notice and left. Sometimes they just need to be told I guess.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

Were it MY company I wouldn't use a derogatory term in my marketing even if it meant improved sales or profits. It's just not who I am. But I wouldn't sign a petition forcing PF to remove the word "lunk" unless someone could show me that it does nothing to increase the likelihood that obese people would go to the gym.

I can't see how my moral reasoning is faulty here, unless you believe that the whole "lunk" or "meathead" association with bodybuilders is increasing. I don't. IMO bodybuilding has become more mainstream and that association is decreasing.

Moving goalposts here. Now the bar for questionable ethics in the scenario is that bodybuilders have to be actively harmed in an increasing fashion by PF's use of the term in order for this whole equivalence scenario your presented to be wrong.

You're the one who said it was okay, bodybuilders could take it, so sure, put them down so that the obese people felt comfortable.

Sure, Plus Size models can take it, they're rich and famous. So let me call them some name for their clothing choices that might be unflattering so people of size who can't afford to dress that way don't feel bad about themselves.

Same difference, right?

It's not a discussion I've had with anyone before, I'm thinking through why I don't find the use of the term "lunk" as offensive as others have.

I had trouble figuring out the plus sized versus low income example you gave me. Let's take away the plus sized part of it and ask if it would be okay to mock people who spend large sums of money on clothing so that people who can't afford those clothes feel better about themselves. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't be up in arms if someone else did.

The social underdog thing matters to me. I would, for instance, find it more offensive if a plus sized model were mocked for her size than an underweight model.

I know you like analyzing things to death, so I'll cut to the meat of where I think you're coming from.

You root for the underdog, and feel that the ends justify the means in upholding that morality.

I do not think the ends justify the means.

I think all people, regardless of being underdogs or not, are entitled to be treated with respect and dignity. That includes not being called names and not being pitted against each other.

Frankly, I find your stance morally repugnant, because you've gone as far as defending the use of derogatory language (which should never be okay) depending on who it was used against. That means your ethics are situational.

Mine aren't.

I don't mock people. It makes me boring, but it's just not something I do. People are mocked on MFP all the time. Are you offended each and every time, or does it depend on the situation?

I'm startled by your use of the word "repugnant". Here I am thinking we were all having a friendly discussion. This just isn't a topic I'm passionate enough about to get into a brawl over. I'm out.

Btw, it's unfortunate we went down this path. I quite liked reading many of your posts.

You may not personally mock people, but you're okay with a corporate policy that mocks people that aren't the underdog since it supports the underdogs going to the gym.

I think that fairly sums up your position.

Yes, I do find all mocking offensive. I don't find sarcastic mocking pf oneself offensive, though, if it's being done in a light-hearted manner.

I find situational ethics morally repugnant, yes. If something is wrong (mocking, when it's being done with serious intent), then it is wrong. Full stop.

Hmmm...I put some thought into why many people get more upset about an obese person being mocked than a thin/fit person.

I think it's a similar comparison to what many (not me) call "reverse racism"...in that it's not even close to the same thing.

The odd person may give a thin person grief "eat a hamburger, blah blah blah" and yes, of course it can hurt your feelings or annoy you. What obese people get however, day in and day out from ALL of society..."you'rr lazy, you're ugly, you're not worthy of love, you're stupid...blah blah blah". It's a different thing and I think comparing the two is offensive.

You think thin shaming is a-okay?

I can't even. I was really good friends growing up with a girl who was really skinny, and she was hugely embarrassed by it, and as uncomfortable in her body as I was in my fat body.

No one should be body shamed, and who are you or anyone to decide who gets to be "more"?

Now, there are areas where the idea of privilege enters the discussion and adds nuance like race, but that doesn't apply here at all.

I don't think it's ok. It's rude and mean...just not even on the same planet as the level of fat shaming people get from the ENTIRE society instead of the odd rude mean person.
This discussion has been closed.